1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by santoshmandali, Jan 22, 2015.

1. dheep_pk

dheep_pk Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Could you all post pics of the dashcam in your vehicle and how it will be seen from outside so that we can have an idea on how the sizes of different cameras, how it's placed and how the dashcam will be seen from outside.

2. dheep_pk

dheep_pk Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Loved the way dashcam in @avithe1's vehicle is positioned. Not much to be seen from outside

avithe1 likes this.
  3. avithe1

avithe1 Amatore

Thane
    Linea 1.3
    its 1.5yrs+ for my Dashcam and it still works fine , no issues :)
    It did reset once on its own , so had to set the date/time etc... , but no functional issues.

dheep_pk likes this.
  4. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea Classic

5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Folks,

Reporting my recent purchase of a dashcam! After researching for about an year, I settled for Street Guardian (SG) dashcam. I became a member on Dashcamtalk forum and found it very informative. There are many other sources of information on the net.

I was unable to choose between items available on Indian sites (Rupee payment) and those from abroad. I considered SJCAM, Transcend, Viofo, Mobius, Lukas, Thinkware, Vantrue, Vicovation, Cobra, Nextbase, kdlinks, goluk, Zeroedge and so many. I dwelled between dashcam and actioncam, with parking mode or without, discreet or normal, permanently powered or not, with display or without, with two camera or single camera and so on.

I narrowed down to VIOFO, SG and SJCAM as these were most talked about and in my budget of Rs 15 to 20 K. Many of these dashcams look cheap in USD, but on Indian sites, the cost goes up. The one I bought is sold for Rs 25k+ on Amazon.in. Somehow, through a seller (member) on DCT forum, I got a cheaper offer for SG with USD payment. I had to wait for 24 days after paying online, before it reached me, when I was discussing claim for lost item with the supplier. However, I didn't get the 32 GB memory card in the box that was supposed to be there. I doubt that someone flicked it after landing in India. I got a refund for it later after I reported it to the seller.

The dashcam is SG9665GC V3 of Street Guardian sourced from USA. I understand that it is made-in-china. VIOFO A119 s is another Chinese camera that is a good competitor for this camera, but SG has the best service record (atleast abroad, as vouched by DCT forum members). I paid ~Rs 13k. My experience during the purchase was also very good. The seller was quick in replying my messages and emails.

It is installed and been working well. I have tested it during day and night. I liked the results, but can't comment in absolute terms.
    It makes 3 min clips and I can transfer these using a card-reader (supplied for the microSD card) to my PC. A CFL is also supplied to cut the reflection of car's dashboard.

I hope this feedback will be useful to members.

pabhishek likes this.
  6. KPR

KPR Superiore

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Has anyone in the forum hard wired a Dash Cam as DIY project? I need to do it in my Punto Evo..

7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, I have done it. Used a fuse tap to tap power supply from fuse box. Got a motorcycle usb charger from Amazon. Placed it behind the Glove Box with help of zip ties. Amazon basics USB extension cable used to give supply to dash cam (SJ4000 in my case)

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

KPR likes this.
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ooh and I missed to mention that I did the same in a Friend's Evo too. Same SJCAM SJ4000

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

KPR likes this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    With the sale on AliExpress on 11th November, have finalized the below two dash cams.
    1) Xiaomi Yi https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pre...5.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.263.IxeEHy
    2) 360 J511C https://www.aliexpress.com/item/360...3.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.266.IxeEHy

Xiaomi Yi is cheaper but 360 is better speced. It is going to be head vs heart decision on that day.Anybody used either of the above?

Couple of queries:
    1) How safe is transacting on Aliexpress?
    2) Generally how fast is the delivery if shipped from China?
    3) Any customs to be paid? I have been responded by seller that they will declare the value less than $50.

linea4me likes this.
  10. KPR

KPR Superiore

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @ghodlur I've purchased several items from AliExpress for more than a year. The payment is done using credit card. There's no OTP or secure payment. The moment you type name, number, CVV the payment is done. But never have been misused. Also the same is with GearBest too.

Typically delivery takes up to 30-45 days if shipped from China. What I've learnt is that they have opened a new warehouse in Singapore. So one can expect a speedy delivery say within 15 days.

Regarding customs... So far I've not been asked to pay anything extra to postman as a part of custom. My items were mostly less than Rs.1000/-.. Delivery is made by Indian Post.

BTW yesterday I've received my basic A118 dash cam from Gearbest.
    All the best. Happy shopping. You get excellent stuff from AliExpress GB....

ghodlur likes this.