1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by santoshmandali, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you folks for chipping-in whatever information you can. The thread is now looking more interesting and informative.

I have some new and some pending queries, if someone can reply -

1. Users of wide-angle dash-cam, do you feel that viewed objects are smaller for your liking and thus number-plates are not readable? Those who have dash-cams with smaller angle lens (say 120 degree or less), do they find it better on this account? How do A119 / A118, having 170 degree lens, perform on this account?

2. Permanent power connection to dash-cam - Has anyone done this? As my Linea is out of 4 year's warranty, I wish to do this and seek guidance. With this, capacitor based (A119) or battery backed dash-cam, both would serve the purpose, right? Without this, I assume the capacitor is supposed to serve proper saving of the files before dash-cam turns OFF. Or, is it for filtering? With permanent power, parking mode will work, right?

3. Has anyone experienced the difference between capacitor-based and battery backed dash-cams? It is said that the former is protected from the heat-effect which causes the later fail. How serious is this issue? Is the battery needed even if dash-cam is permanently powered?

4. Are Novatek 96660 and Ambarella 12 chipsets comparable?

While I am searching on net, enlightened ones are requested to pass the light!
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Anyone using Viofo A119 here?

I was researching on dash cam for quite sometime and now almost decided to get A119 with GPS Tracker.
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ravi_M :
    1. I dont suggest a cam <120 degree. refer to wide angle videos of a119 youtube.

2. capacitor is always the best when compared to battery especially in Indian weather conditions. Imagine parking under a hot sun in summer. Im not saying Li-ion battery will explode right away, but durability in a long run is still a question with battery powered dash cams. As your car is out of warranty you can hard wire it. it's a DIY. refer below link for installation.
    http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yourself/174958-diy-install-review-mini-0806-dash-camera.html
    4. a12 is better. but its costly. 96660 is more than enough for dashcam purpose.

@ramjn: a119 is a new launch in 2016. So i doubt you get people using this product. There is a buzz that viofo will soon launch a CPL filter for a119. So wait for a month or so.
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Ravi_M not aware if novatek is better or the other one. But for sake of simplicity A119 has better focus and clarity, which could be improvement at level of hardware and software both. Apart from the larger screen and optional gps.

Also I am assuming the capacitor version writes off remaining data bits to card before shutting off. A soft shutdown of sorts. So loosing data isn't probably happening. Also it's exciting to replace it with a more powerful or better speced capacitor in future for more sustained power.
  6. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    A118c device looks exactly similar to RexingV1 which I have in terms of physical design, video quality and firware (by looking at datetime stamp in the video). It looks like they have the same vendor may be :D
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Guys,

After continued search, I stumbled upon Vantrue N1. It looks pretty small and solidly built. Tachmoan review also lists it and wirecutter lists another model R2 as second best after Z3. I was about to order on Amazon.in, but thought of sharing this here first.

From all the efforts, I realized that no dash cam shall meet all needs. I had almost decided to order Transcend Drivepro 200, but then noted and read that it is quite visible. N1 is smaller and less visible too. They cost almost same Rs 13K plus.

Any advice?
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    If your priority is smaller in size, look at Viofo A119 too. I feel this is much smaller than Vantrue N1. A119 has got reviews as well.
  9. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @ramjn, thanx for the suggestion. In fact, I have been considering A119 and mini 0806 mainly for being discrete. However, at forums like dashcamtalk and others, I read of reliability issues, plastic body getting deformed due to heat etc., hence was looking for one with better built. Also A119 was not available when I checked last week. To me cobra, garmin, bluepunkt, drivpro etc attract for their apparent good built. That way, street guardian is best for having same form as A119 and Rexing, but costs more than 25k.

I also wish to use CPL (polarising filter). Any more suggestions keeping the following needs in mind:

Discrete, view angle 130-160 degree, good built, at least 32 GB capacity, capacitor back-up, battery cut-off for permanent power feed, ready for CPL, 1080 with at least 30 fps, G-sensor, parking mode with motion sensor, good day & night video with WDR, easy to remove (like Vantrue N1).
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Really not sure about this. But, whatever I read about 119, they say it is built tough. Anyway I have now ordered for A119. Will report the performance once I get it. :)
    avithe1 likes this.