1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by santoshmandali, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    SJCAM comes in black, yellow and silver etc color option. SJCAM has 153.6 Degree Wide Angle Lens.
    You are right about image distortion with 170 degree lens. IMO mini 0806's 135 degree lens is enough to serve dashcam purpose. check for the sample videos of mini in youtube.
  2. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well for this requirement of yours, Rexing V1 is 100% stealth. Its hidden behind the Rear View Mirror. Earlier it used to get detected by new person in my car because of charging cable. But now I have routed the cable via roof liner and A pillar. (Now people ask me what this charger connector is for and that's when I show them the camera behind Mirror :)
    The only problem is that if I need to operate it then I will have to bend forward for it.
    Ravi_M likes this.
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I have been reading dashcantalk.com, but all these sources and forums never seen converging on a short list to choose from!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    Has anyone tried the camera included in the IRVM? That looks quite tempting, but I don't want to disturb the existing IRVM.
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    while considering a dashcam, below essential features should be present:
    1. there should be some way to alert the driver about record failure.
    otherwise we always think camera is recording. (ex: beep sound alert)
    2. battery type: Li-ion vs capacitors.
    always choose capacitor over Li-ion. as later is more prone to heating and explosion in hot environment.
    3. pay attention to which chipset your dashcam uses. refer to the below chart: higher the chipset version better is the video quality.
    dashcam.JPG
    4. G-sensors: The sensor is only used to automatically lock files in the case of an event triggering the sensor. Cameras will use their G-sensors to detect significant or sudden movement and automatically lock the video file being produced at the time, meaning that any significant footage is saved. While this is a highly-useful function that will safeguard any genuine incidents, ranging from crashes and collisions to heavy braking and swerving, it can also be triggered by potholes, speed-bumps and other minor incidents. However, most cameras that feature a G-sensor will allow you to alter its sensitivity to alleviate this issue.
    5. No overwrite feature: suppose you are passing through a road which has beautiful surrounding and you dont like the file to be overwritten in loop-recording, car dvr should have a provision for the same.
    6. Night recording quality: almost all cam perform well in day light. But some has horrible night time quality. Please note its hard to get a high quality night cam in budget range, so choose a cam which has decent night time recording.
    Some good budget car dvr:

1) viofo a118/a119
    2) dome d201
    3) Ausdom A261
    4) transend 200 (video quality is horrible, but a reliable cam)
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @Deepak, thank you for the above compilation of features. I have been reading various sources on net and noted the following:

1. Wider angle lens would make the objects in the scene smaller and thus reading numbers etc. difficult. Hence, IMO, angles between 130 and 150 degrees are better choice.
    2. One should go for HD or better resolution, as A119 has.
    3. Frame rate should be at least 30fps at 1080 resolution or better.
    3. Good action cameras have dash-cam modes, hence one can opt for those, although they will be less obscure.
    4. It must have a video display and the ones without this may not be very useful in accident situations.
    5. If need to choose between GPS and G-sensor, I would choose G-sensor for recording and securing accident scene.
    6. Dash cam with all these features may not be cheap - be ready to spend anything from Rs. 10 K to 20 K.

I am tempted to go for the one having form-factor similar to Rexing V1 and I think A119 is similar, but build quality of rectangular ones appears better. Also I am yet to learn about buying from foreign websites for the products not offered in India, like A119.

Lets see!
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ravi_M : you dont have to pay 10-20k for good a dashcam. Its just that those are sold in india for higher price. Source them from gearbest.com they sell genuine product. There are many sellers in india who order from these sites and sell in india for much higher price :D a119 is priced at 100$ (Rs. 6700).
  8. avithe1

avithe1 Amatore

(Mira Rd) Thane.
    Thane
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,
    I have bought an A118c from gearbest about a year ago.
    It is an excellent dashcam , I bought it because it was not too expensive and it had the form factor I wanted (no suction).
    The only issue with gearbest was that the parcel is difficult to trace, eventually comes via EMS to us. It took 4 weeks for the parcel to reach me.

I believe A119 would be better than A118c , if you can handle that 4 week wait/uncertainty , I recommend this dash cam.

Recent video (watch in HD) :

Attached some pics of the cam which I installed myself.

Note :
    Whatever dashcam , do buy a cable like this one for easy installation:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/InLine-Min...srs=1742928031&ie=UTF8&qid=1446863372&sr=1-16

20151107_165241.jpg

20151107_165220.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    asimpleson and krishna01 like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The camera mentioned above by Avinash (avithe1) has an aptina sensor (A118C 1.5 inch H.264 1080P Novatek 96650 Safe Capacitor Car DVR Dash Cam) and a good processing chip as well. The most salient feature is A118C is capacitor version, which powers the device and probably needs constant charge current. Do confirm the same Avinash. This is more a pro feature depending on how you look at it.
    @avithe1
  10. avithe1

avithe1 Amatore

(Mira Rd) Thane.
    Thane
    Linea 1.3
    yes, @asimpleson , it needs power to stay on. As soon as the car is OFF the camera goes off.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    Sorry forgot to add, even though the specifications say that the max capacity of the TF supported by this cam is 32GB , I have without issues been using a 64GB class 10 card since day 1.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016