1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by santoshmandali, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have a dashcam installed in my Punto. Its Rexing V1. Its been 6 months since I got it from US. So far it is doing well. you can check the low light FHD recording of the device in the following video which I have uploaded.

ravikn and Ravi_M like this.
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @ViPr , I really liked your tagline (or whatever it is called - the line appearing after your name at the bottom of your post). I fully agree that we are above Average drivers. And I feel that we have a duty to get more and more to atleast be like us, even if they don't buy a FIAT.
    ViPr likes this.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am using Transcend Pro 220 Dashcam and happy with it. Bought it from Amazon.in with 64GB card.

Camera box includes charger, Dashcam Windshield Mount.
  4. Krishnamurthy Idaguri

Krishnamurthy Idaguri Timido

Pune
    Maharashtra
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I also use the same one which Kedar has. Transcend Drivepro 220. Decent one has in built GPS, which records the coordinates of the location. Also records the speed, date and time, below you can find the recording of my recent drive on NH-4.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2016
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    after a long research finally bought the SJCAM 4000 wifi. its basically an action camera which can be used as car dashcam as well. Purchased via gearbest as it's expensive in india. Same can be purchased in aliexpress as well.

Feedback on SJCAM:
    one word: It's excellent. Picture quality is crystal clear. It comes with tons of accessories and can be mounted on helmet,bike,cycle etc. There are additional accessory kits available on aliexpress which are really handful. You can literally mount anywhere to capture those precious life moments. All the gopro mounts can be used with sjcam.

I paid 69.89$ for SJCAM 4000 (gearbest) and 19$ for additional accessory kit from aliexpress. So total price paid = Rs. 6500. when i checked in amazon india, same was priced at whopping Rs. 9880. (i think its rs 7000 now)

http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_81588.html?wid=21

Accessory kit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sj4..._2&btsid=49d66513-c3fe-45b2-82e5-3ea3e735cee3

Below is the video recording: (watch in 1080p mode, original video is better than youtube upload)

SJCAM is mainly an action camera which can be used as dashcam. If you are looking for a full time dashcam i'd suggest mini 0806 which comes with dual slot 128GB capacity.

@Ravi_M

1. How visible it is? What are the colour options? I know it is quite small, but your experience?
    the video taken in a sunlight is crystal clear (1080p videos). The night videos are good too. (city light conditions).
    there are many other option to reduce the clarity(720p) which will help in longer time record. sjcam comes with max 32GB capacity. once its out of space, old videos will be overwritten if you are in car mode. It doesn't overwrite if you are in a normal mode as it's mainly an action camera. Its very small and fits well on the windshield.
    2. Is there any issue in mounting between the RVM & wind-shield? How easy to remove and fix back?
    No issues at all. But you don't get the windshield cup holder with the box. you need to separately order it from aliexpress. (check in the above link). Suction of this holder is fantastic. it holds the camera very firm. easy to remove/install.
    3. I am considering an action-cam for multi-purpose use - does this fit here? Or any compromise in car-cam function?
    I bought this camera with the main purpose of dash cam. But after using it im more liking it as an action camera. yes it can be used as an dash cam. But i have observed it heats up quickly when connected to car. So if you are looking for a full time dashcam, go for mini 0806. SJCAM is fantastic multipurpose camera. A must have for everyone to record the life events.
    KPR likes this.
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @Deepak, Thank you!

But, as I feared, the first question was misunderstood.

I want to know - How well-hidden (obscure) it is? Ideally, dash-cam shouldn't be visible. Any comparison between mini 0806 and Rexing V1?
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ravi_M : ahh! Its not hidden in case of sjcam. The windshield suction cup is pretty big. It's well visible from outside.

mini 0806:
    1) 135 degree lens coverage.
    2) 1296P 30fps recording
    3) Dual microSD card slots 128GB x 2 = 256GB
    4) comes with CPL filter to remove glaze from the windscreen( circular polarizing filter)
    5)senosr resolution: 5 mega pixel
    6) priced at $90 at GB.

rexing V1:
    1) nice 170 degree coverage.
    2) max of 32GB micro SD card support.
    3) sensor resolution: 3 Mega pixel
    4) priced > 100$

IMO except for a bit large lens coverage, mini 0806 is more VFM.
    Ravi_M likes this.
  8. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    It is pretty useful if you want to record a road trip, especially if you plan on travelling to beautiful locations.

I also have a question. Does a dash cam remain on when the car is stationary and locked, as in parked. There are many idiots who bang against your car when it is parked and even scratching maniacs who scratch cars with sharp objects because of some mental issues. Will a dash cam be useful in such cases?
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Maxtor : yes. almost all dash cam comes with motion detection feature. It starts recording whenever any movement in front of the camera.
    Maxtor likes this.
  10. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanx @Deepak

Does SJ4000 come only in bright (yellow) colour only? That is a NO-NO for dash-cam.

How much sacrifice does the 135 degree makes compared to 170 degree? I understand that too wide angle makes the images distorted and therefore a balance is needed. If 135 degree is better combination on these two issues, then that is the one!

@Maxtor & @Deepak, AFAIK, for parking mode, the dash-cam needed to be always powered from power terminals and not from cigarette-lighter (the usual way). As my car is now out of warranty, I may go for permanent powering.

More inputs are welcome on this very useful subject.
    Maxtor likes this.