1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car bought in Bangalore, Registering in TN

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by Ragu, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Ragu

Ragu

Bangalore
    Hi

If everything goes well, hopefully I'll be getting my 2014 Linea Emotion Diesel with temporary registration (Bangalore) on 19'th April.

I'm thinking of registering it in TN since the car will be mostly on Bangalore -TN Highways regularly (once a month) and zilch city driving.

If I get the car and Insurance papers by tomorrow, planning to travel immediately to TN to register it.

1. Apart from the Road tax in TN, Do I have to pay any other tax, if so any idea about the % of tax ?

2. Will there be any problem in check posts, toll gates with temporary registration? Do I have to pay any tax?

3. The insurance will have my name with Bangalore address. Will it cause any trouble while registering in TN in my wife's name? (Hope, I could change the Address later on or before registration if required )

I could save nearly 50k by registering it in TN and can handle the Bangalore RTO guys with the toll, diesel receipts.

If the saving is negligible after all the taxes in TN, say 20k, I'll come back to Bangalore and register the car here itself.
  2. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  3. Ragu

Ragu

Bangalore
    I checked all those websites, googled and then only came here for some inputs.
  4. nethan

nethan Amatore

Bangalore
    Think well before you decide.

Even I planned for the same during my Punto Purchase but something changed my thought and I just went with KA registration.

I don't think you could easily get away with the Bangalore RTO especially with the current rule. Anyone one can easily understand the reason behind your NON KA registration when you've a Bangalore address on your Vehicle Documents. (Yes, people can think like you and me, and its is not a Riemann Hypothesis; all they need is just some common sense.)

First try to understand the reason behind such a change in the rule.
    You need to provide a justifiable reason for TN registration with a Bangalore address which is a real tough one.
    Finally, If you couldn't stand against arrogant, deaf and careless Bangalore RTO, you will end up paying Life time Tax in Bangalore, for which you will definitely curse yourself.

Believe me,I had an ugly experience with Bangalore RTO on my dad's car last month which I used it here for 2 weeks. Oh man its a real pain in the ass. At one point I was simply pulled over by the same RTO guy intentionally multiple times on a week even though he knows my car and myself ; b'coz I defended myself with the same law (30 days time period) along with Diesel and Toll gate receipts.

Finally, as I started this Post "Think well before you decide"
  5. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    Last few months, its a fact that Bangalore RTO has been literally rounding up NON KA Vehicles in Bangalore any where and every where. They are even seen issuing/leaving notices on cars which are parked inside apartments. There has been regular raids in front of Electronic City and many other places. I agree with Nethan on difficulites in registering a KA bought vehicle and registering it in TN. Yet, even if you do so you will at some point end up in paying road TAX in KA. Even you buy vehicle & Register in TN & drive in Bangalore, still you will have to pay KA road tax if you want to drive in Bangalore. If your looking to save 50K, you may end up compromising peaceful/ hassle free ownership. Please make decisions considering these facts.

Also, if you drive a temp registered car there will surely be issues if you are intercepted by cops either in KA or TN.There is a rule that a motor vehicle should not have run more than "X" kms before registration. So by the time you reach Chennai, you may have crossed that limit. But I suggest to cross check on this "X" kms part, since am not very sure about it. Just a word of caution.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Ragu

Ragu

Bangalore
    If I'm registering in TN, I'll give TN address only (All my documents have TN address and in Bangalore I have only Rental agreement as address proof). So the RC will have TN address. Only the Insurance will have Bangalore address and I can change that to TN address later on (Checked with the Insurance provider). The car will be on TN roads mostly and hence it makes sense to pay LTT in TN.

Already, I delalyed my travel plans due to the late delivery of the car. Hence, today I'll be travelling with temporary registration to TN and if the registration process doesn't go smooth (I'm not travelling to TN for registration purposes, just trying if it can be registered), I'll register the car myself in Indiranagar RTO saving around 8000 Rupees of handling charges charged by the dealer.
  7. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    Keep us posted on the outcome, it may help others to decide in future
  8. nethan

nethan Amatore

Bangalore
    Anyhow perception differs from person to person and It is my humble opinion from an ugly experience with Bangalore RTO guys.
    It all depends on how you prove yourself that your car will be on TN roads mostly to the Bangalore RTO guys when caught.

Good Luck
  9. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    I am just curious. Why cant you buy the car in TN itself?? Are you getting very good deal here in B'lore?

Regards
    Gopi