1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Car AC - Be Aware

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Toruk_Macto, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Hi all,

Came across this post in one of the mail. Many people may know this. But, posting it here just for awareness.

WHY? Car Air-conditioning - No wonder more folks are dying from cancer

than ever before. We wonder where this stuff comes from but here is an

example that explains a lot of the cancer causing incidents.

Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last

thing at night, 7 days a week.

As I read this, it makes me feel guilty and ill.

Please pass this on to as many people as possible.

Guess it's not too late to make some changes

Car A/C (Air Conditioning) MUST READ!!!

Please do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car.

Open the windows after you enter your car and then turn ON the AC after

a couple of minutes.

Here's why: According to research, the car dashboard, seats and air

freshener emit Benzene, a Cancer causing toxin (carcinogen - take time

to observe the smell of heated plastic in your car).

In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anemia

and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukemia,

increasing the risk of cancer. Can also cause miscarriage.

Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50 mg per sq. ft.

A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of

If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 60 degrees F,

the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable

People who get into the car, keeping windows

closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of

the toxin.

Benzene is a toxin that affects your kidney and liver.. What's worse, it

is extremely difficult for your body to expel this toxic stuff.

So friends, please open the windows and door of your car - give time for

interior to air out -dispel the deadly stuff - before you enter.

Thought: 'When someone shares something of value with you and you

benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

This is what snopes.com <http://snopes.com/> says. It is not the air

conditioning in the car but the Benzene producing agents that cause

cancer. http://www.snopes.com/medi<wbr>cal/toxins/benzene.asp
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Toruk_Macto thank you so much for the information.

Whenever I park my no matter in Sunshine or in Covered parking I prefer to close all 4 windows to 95% so that there will be bit air flow in the car.
  3. rana

rana Novizio

this is useful! i for one have an habit of switching on the AC right in the morning after rolling the car out... Its different when its hot though when you first have to keep the cars doors and windows open for a minute before I step in....

A mechanis had given me an useful tip to maximise car AC performance in the ones with weaker AC... start driving with the window up by 3/4ths.. this pushes the hot air of the car outward..after some time switch on the ac in full and for one minute keep the windows as it is... and then you can close the windows properly and allow the car t col before reducing the force of the ACs.. I have found it to be effective in the Mumbai heat.
  4. eNVe

eNVe Amatore

OMG... this is an eye opener for me... I never drive with windows down... this is scary... will open the window for sometime before i switch on AC....
    Thanks for the useful info.
  5. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

A good post... thanks for it...

will it help if we use the airflow from outside in AC?

OCTANE Amatore

Guys.. I think our new Fiats has a solution to this problem. The Automatic climate control in my Linea if put in 'FULL AUTO' mode selects outside airflow first. And after a specified time period it switches the recirculation mode on. As a result only fresh air will be recirculated in the cabin. So any toxic substance in the air will be removed.:up
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

I do not know about cancer,but I can never forget an instance of 3 people dying inside their A/C Santro,on a rainy day,since they couldn't open the door,because it got jammed,neither did the power windows open.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I do not know about cancer,but I can never forget an instance of 3 people dying inside their A/C Santro on a rainy day,since they could not open the door since they got jammed,neither did the power windows open.
  8. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I've open parking. I use to open all 4 doors & boot for a minute. This is really helpful to get fresh air in the car. If you have enough space thn you can do this.
  9. nikonsun

Off topic though, but useful. You need to keep a strong knife or nice sized scissors in the driver side (if your self driving) door rack/storage. It has the most usage during emergency in accidents like seat belts jamming (you can cut it with scissor and release yourself), air bags not deflating (puncture them), doors and windows jammed (break the window glass) and the list keeps going. I always carry a big office scissors in my car; safety is our first concern.

10. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    this is not enough to kill a average healthy person.. if hez taking hez daily dosage of caffeine nd anti oxidants...
    but then on the other hand, if one is really out of luck and satan is preparing to take over, then mere brisk walk on footpath can kill you :)