1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cape Town to London record attempt in a Fiat Panda

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by Herbie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    cape_town_fiat_panda__3_.jpg

What's it all about????????

The challenge is whether a Fiat Panda TwinAir, powered by one of the smallest engines you can drive out of a UK showroom, can beat the record that has stood for 30 years, set by the British Army in a factory-prepared Range Rover, as the best time from Cape Town to London. :up

cape_town_to_london__1_.jpg

It means driving 1000 miles a day non-stop if the ultimate record time is to be broken. That's the target of Philip Young and Paul Brace, who have a five inch thick mattress from Mothercare in the back of the Panda to sleep on when not driving, and a large funnel, for the obligatory 'calls of nature', spares are limited to a throttle cable along with a roll of gaffa tape and tube of super-glue, the crew have one spare pair of charcoal-lined underpants and a couple of T-shirts, which might last the trip providing border guards dont help themselves first.The car has had 500 hours of preparation in the hands of experts at Tony Fowkes Autos in North London, other than that, its exactly as it drove out of the showroom of Fiat dealers, Mellors of Wantage, in Oxfordshire, who sold Young the car for £10,500. The Panda is now on a cargo ship to Cape Town - if it gets back to London's Marble Arch and meets Mayor Borris Johnson, it could become the world's most famous Panda, as well as going down as the one that can beat a Range Rover across two Continents.

In preparing for the event, the team had to jet off to Livingstone when he heard that the ferry over the Zambezi isn't running... Philip Young has been promised it's a mere temporary hitch and soon the pontoon will be crossing from Botswana to Zambia again, once they have fixed the head gasket.
    You either cross by raft (nice idea - but slow as you need a lot of paddlers and there is always a risk of a Panda mixing it with the crocodiles) or, go by pontoon.. the river is over half a mile wide at the Kalunguza bend in the river, just upstream from the rapids that tumble down the world's biggest water fall at Victoria Falls.
    Even the pontoon is not exactly gauranteed safe. It's turned upside down now and then, once throwing 17 passengers to their deaths, either drowning slowly or eaten quickly by the crocs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiat Panda record attempt off to a flying start

africa_record_run__1_.jpg

Philip Young and Paul Brice's audacious attempt to beat the Cape Town to London record in their Fiat Panda is still on schedule...
    At 6.00am on 1 February, a few minutes before sunrise in Cape Town, Philip and Paul began their epic drive back to London. Their intention is to complete the journey in ten days, thus beating the existing record, set in a far more rugged Range Rover.
    As Philip Young commented: 'The Fiat Panda taking on the bid to crack the World Record for the non stop drive across two Continents from Cape Town to London. We're hoping to chalk up 1000 mikes a day for ten days, and hope to finish at Marble Arch on 11 February, having crossed a dozen countries. The current record from Cape Town non stop was set by the British Army in 1983. They had a V8 Range Rover. The Fiat is 900cc and a V2.'
    During the first day, the team followed the N1 and N12 through Kimberley and Mafeking to Ramatlabama then through Botswana to the Kazungula ferry.
    Into day two, progress has been remarkable. 'We crossed Botswana during the night,' said Philip Young. 'A shame we could not have seen more of this beautiful country. At the Kazungula ferry, border formalities were processed in minutes - getting hold of immigration forms in advance shaved off a lot of the hassle and time and we successfully reached the Zambezi (above) as the sun rose over the water. Nearly a mile wide and fast flowing at this time of the year, our crossing into Zambia had to be done by a pontoon. With just the Panda and crew aboard, we chugged our way across, in the company of a pair of crocodiles.'
    'We are taking a little time out for a quick and wonderfully invigorating shower and our first proper breakfast since leaving the Cape Town. The Cross Roads hotel are providing omelette and chips, and we have arranged a pit-stop refuelling to take on 20 litres of avgas. The idea is to use this to pep up the local petrol which is only 92 octane. The start of day two sees us having knocked off 2400 kilometres so far... and the Panda is performing magnificently.'
    Stay tuned to see how Philip and Paul get on, as we publish this, they're motoring through Zambia. You can also follow their progress on the interactive map.

SOURCE :
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2013-02/fiat-panda-record-attempt-off-to-a-flying-start/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    10 people like this.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Wow thats an amazing attempt and adventurous too.

OT: Panda to me looks like wangon R (exterior) :sadblue, thats my opinion no offense. So do not jump on me ;)
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Holy Moly ! That is one helluva attempt.

On successful completion of this trip, FIAT India needs to tell the Indian market about it too. A front jacket advertisement in all newspapers would be nice. :)

Cheers Herbie for sharing this.
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Great attempt. No doubt.

Let them first publicize what Indians have done here. I am talking about the drives of J.Ravi sir and Probiker.
    3 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Beg to disagree Ramjn. This is an attempt to break an existing record. With all due respect to the drives quoted by you, they do not qualify for any records. I mean doing an Iron Butt certificate ride is vastly different from doing a 15 day 20000 km laid back ride. In a drive like this, you cannot even afford to stop to take a leak (read mention of funnel in the original post). Such kind of drives brings out the endurance of the human spirit. I am glad it is being attempted in a FIAT. I would be as glad, even if it was attempted in say, a Nano.

Simply put, there is no comparison, IMHO.

Rajan
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Rajan, I think you mis-interpreted my post. My intention was not to compare the drives but about publicizing the events in India. :)

Publicizing an event which was done in a car sold in India, driven by Indians, driven in India will be more effective than publicizing an event which was done in a car not sold in India, driven by non-Indians, driven at a out of India location. :D

Also, given the fact that Probiker holds the limca book of records for the fastest drive in a Punto from Kashmir to Kanyakumari in 68 hours. Fiat did not publicize this too.
    1 person likes this.
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The drives that probiker done were endurance drives to break the two records n he was successful in both of them !! It was similar to the panda record breaking attempt where this small puny car broke the records of a Much bigger powerful SUV !! one was golden quadrilateral in 79 hrs and leh to cape in 68 hrs , they were very much similar to iron butt/saddlesore .. See TFI Motorsport section, details are there. they could have advertised them in papers like crazy like what MRF/maruti/Mitsubishi does after every rally season. Fiat missed out to catch in on even this :http://www.teamfiat.co.in/motorsports/8147-tjet-takes-flight-raid-de-himalaya-2012-a.html .
    I guess this was the same car with sid's car here:http://www.teamfiat.co.in/fiat-india-news/8945-kashyap-fiat-noida-visit-pictures.html#post154777
    1 person likes this.
  8. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yes indeed, i agree and i also doubt that there is a single strech of road remotely equivalent of expressways & national highways in Africa.(especially in their charted route:confused:)

But I do respect and admire the feat of our fellow Indians:up:up. (what they have done is a magic in itself!:drinks )
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    okay let us keep our fingers crossed... its an attempt as of now, not yet acheived..

here is the current status as per the page..

11.JPG
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    As per the interactive map, the team has entered Tanzania. Great going :up