1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can't Wipe The Grin Off My Face

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by eyeguy, May 5, 2011.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    yes gurjinder only on mild braking. when I clamp down hard it doesn't come.
  2. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    Interesting anecdotes before buying the Jet

The ghost of Honda.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Honda City set the benchmark for the sub 10 Lakh sedan…whether Fiat Lovers agree or not.
    The original VTEC one which came out in 1999 was a beauty but it was the “dolphin” model (i-Dsi engine) which swept up a storm in India. When I bought my Santro in 2005, Honda City was the car everyone aspired to but if one could afford 9-10 lakhs.
    But for 5 years every time I was caught up in slow moving traffic I would curse and say “There must be a Honda ahead”. And invariably there was! Surprisingly all Honda cars were the slowest cars in Mumbai.
    Now don’t get me wrong…the City can go amazingly fast but not in Mumbai cos the roads are so bad the undersurface scrapes against every bump, every pothole and every speed breaker. So I swore I would never buy a Honda.
    Now by the year 2010, for my dad (and I’m sure many others) the middle class status symbol car model had shifted from the Honda City to Honda Civic. So, on his insistence, inspite of my mind being set on the TJet we went to check out the Hondas.
    The Civic looks VERY nice so I thought I’d TD that first. I asked the salesperson to push the driver’s seat back and push the stearing wheel up. To my surprise he said that both were already done. I COUDN’T EVEN GET INTO THE DRIVER’S SEAT! All of us burst out laughing and the common consensus was that I should probably look at the CRV.<o:p></o:p>
    Now onto the mighty City. Trust me guys I had driven the TJet just a few days ago so the comparison was valid. The driver’s seat in the City felt much more comfortable than the TJet and the interiors though not in leather felt somehow plusher. Of course, the features didn’t match upto the TJet.<o:p></o:p>
    My dad had a triumphant look when I said I didn’t find any flaws with the City.<o:p></o:p>
    I couldn’t explain to him why I still bought the Linea TJet Plus.<o:p></o:p>
    But you guys know, don’t you?<o:p></o:p>
    IT WAS THE GRIN !!!<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Coming Soon … resale tales!<o:p></o:p>
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Ok mate. The reasn i askd was because i did some research online about the 'curious case of whistling brakes' :).
    And the outcome was that almost all the manufacturers are having this small niggle.
    It is caused by the material used for the pads, not because there's a problem in the braking system.

One solution which was advocated to get rid of the whistle was to apply silicon paste at the backside of the brake pad (not the side which touches the rotor) when installing them.

In any case, its a niggle rather than a defect/problem.

Gurjinder.
  4. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ gurjinder

thanks man. that's a great burden lifted off my haed
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @eyeguy

That explanation is valid only if the brake pad thickness is within spec , and the rest of the braking system (calipers, their mounting etc) is in good working order.

So, make sure you cross check that.
    Cheers!

Here's some suggested reading
    And a product
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    A reason I also decided against the city. The car bottomed out on the first breaker when I test drove with my wife on Andheri Link road, close to my house.
  7. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Thanks Gurjinder.
  8. bibudesh

bibudesh Timido

Bangalore
    No idea whose ignorance is this - Customer's or salesperson's, since Blaupunkt is owned by Bosch LOL! ..
    Delphi is also the OEM for fiat music system but not for the models in India.

Coming to the Honda city, the interiors are plush, luxurious and is very comfortable indeed. Ask a very old person to get into the rear seat and then tell the same person to get into Linea rear seat and then see the grin !..
    Also, if you are real thrill oriented and want to try some life threatening stunts then take a honda city on a mild curve at 100+ speeds.

You pay honda mostly for the brand and stuffs which may not be highly tangible. Fiat charge you for the margin they have spent on R&D to get the dynamics right (which is comparable to the Beemers) and not idiotic reasons including and not limited to 'brand premium'.

My boss owns a civic and recently he hit a stone which ended up in oil sump crack. This was despite of having an engine guard. I do not have count of how many stones I have hit on my T-Jet+ including jumping over a breaker at 80 kmph. No worries till date.
    2 people like this.
  9. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    @ bibudesh

You are right buddy. Only recently did I find out that it's Blaupunkt. But even now the Fiat showroom guys are clueless.

As a person who loves to drive I understand your sentiments about the jet completely. I just hit a stone on the highway and the Engine guard did its job aptly.

I was only putting up the other side of the argument about brand conscious people (they usually don't drive but let their driver enjoy the car).
    For them Honda and VW (in this price segment) still has much more value than Fiat.

If you look around in Mumbai you will see many Lineas but they are mostly Emotion/ MJDs NOT Tjets. That is a very practical buy not for the passion of driving.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    congrats for your jet.

@sat-chit anand: So in terms of small petrol engines Fiat has the second best technology with them.