1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can't Wipe The Grin Off My Face

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by eyeguy, May 5, 2011.

1. eyeguy

It’s been 7 months since I first got the grin on my face. But it really became a permanent feature only 4 months ago and now I can’t seem to get rid of it.
    You see, 7 months ago I went to Wasan - Kandivli to check out the newly launched Tata Aria just for kicks. Parked next to it was the T jet plus Test Drive vehicle. I had heard of its launch but since I didn’t really need a second car I hadn’t given much thought to it. When I spoke to the Fiat salesperson he convinced me to take a test drive.
    Now let me fill you in with some background.
    I never had a car during my childhood … the first car we bought was an old Fiat or should I say Premier Padmini. I learnt to drive in that or should I say I taught myself. Hated it cos by that time almost all my friends had Marutis and my car gave a lot of problems.

The first car I bought was a 800 in 2002. Loved it but realized how cars are meant to be when I bought a Santro Xing in 2005.Swore I would never go back to Maruti and aspired for a Honda. A few years and some SUV dreams later saw an ad on TV “stuck at the sight of you” for the Linea. The year was 2009 and I went ahead and immediately test drove both petrol and diesel. I felt the MJD outclassed the Fire but felt it had more to do with the weight to power ratio and torque issues. Anyway didn’t desperately need a car so I dropped the plans. But every time I saw a Linea on the road my heart skipped a beat. Very few cars ( within my financial reach) have wowed me but none has had the effect of the Linea.
    Coming back to October 2010 Wasan Kandivli. I get into the driver’s seat and start off slowly. I told the sales guy it seemed similar to the old one. He said be patient till we take a U turn @ the signal and then floor the gas pedal. I don’t think I will ever do 0-100 in 11 secs as the jet can supposedly do but I sure came close. That’s when I checked myself in the rearview mirror and realized I had a grin plastered on my face.
    After much deliberation, numerous jokes about the true full form of FIAT and my own apprehensions about the A.S.S. I went ahead and bought a hip hop black T Jet on 9<SUP>th</SUP> Jan 2011.
    Haven’t been able to wipe off the grin from my face yet!:D
    3 people like this.
  2. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    woohaaaa congrats friend
  3. Congrats sir, Tjet engine was rated #2 in year 2010 by engine of the year website.
    even today it's #6.

Results points
    1. Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger (VW Golf, Scirocco,
    Jetta, Touran, Tiguan, Seat Ibiza Cupra) 307

2. Fiat 1.4-litre MultiAir Turbo (Alfa MiTo, Giulietta) 254

3. Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Turbo (VW Golf, Scirocco, Jetta, Skoda Superb, Octavia, Audi A1, Audi A3, Seat Leon, Altea/XL) 241

4. Volkswagen 1.2-litre TSI (VW Polo, Golf, Seat Ibiza ST, Skoda Octavia, Skoda Yeti) 146

5. Honda Hybrid 1.3-litre (Insight, Civic) 87

6. Fiat 1.4-litre Turbo (Fiat Punto Evo, Abarth 500, Abarth Grande
    Punto, Bravo, Linea, Lancia Delta, Alfa Romeo Mito, Giulietta)

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice start. Please continue.
  5. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

That's a lovely first post! I (and most owners I believe) have the same grin of happiness and satisfaction with our Jets. :D
    Now I am left wondering why my ownership thread has never been so positive, even though that's how I feel when I sit behind the wheel.
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  6. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Keep coming it..Loved the narration.
  7. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    congrats on buying the jet. no wonder you have a grin that refuses to go.
  8. eyeguy

You wanna know why I got that grin….
     What a surge of power when it hits turbo peak! Friends of mine sometimes even feel scared when they experience it for the first time.
     What an excellent steering! And I’m not talking only about the feedback from the road and all…but what a lovely feel there is to it.
     Road grip man! No Japanese/Korean/Indian car can come close to it.
     What superb braking!
    All in all, it handles like a dream. For me the blue n me etc are just gizmos added on to appeal to the Indian consumer so that he overcomes his Fiat phobia. I would’ve bought the T Jet at the same price even without the music system!

But there is one damn villain who is desperately trying to wipe out that grin. And do you know who that is?

Yes that’s right.

Pathetic tie up with Tata for the most appalling service possible.
    For all those who are gonna be jumping up in defense of the A.S.S. I suggest please come out of your Fiat cocoon and own a Honda/Hyundai to realize what After Sales Service really means.
    What irritates me is Fiat isn’t bothered so why do we expect Tata to be.
    e.g. no one knows what music system is there in the T Jet plus. The old Lineas have Blaupunkt but when I got my car I was told it is Bosch. If you check the net Bosch only manufactures integrated systems for mileage calculation and onboard computers etc. There is no mention of music systems. So we don’t know the specs of the system we are paying for…and neither does Fiat. They are clueless
    I had a weird complaint. I felt that the volume on my system went up when I increased speed and lowered when I slowed down. When I mentioned this to the Fiat salesguy and the service centre people they just laughed.
    When I went to upgrade my speakers and mentioned it to the guy there he looked at me incredulously and said this is a feature in some high end cars like Mercedes (E class onwards). I was bombed. Fiat should’ve been tom tomming about this feature all over town and they have kept it a secret even from their own people.
    I get the jitters when I think I have to go back to the Tata workshop for anything.
    What is desperately needed is some Fiat exclusive service centre with trained individuals who really know their own cars.
    When I get frustrated thinking about this I get into the Jet late at night and take it for a spin on Worli sealink and get the grin right back on my face!
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Very true man. You've got some writing skills. Keep it up.
  10. eyeguy

btw thanks guys for your encouraging and immediate replies. I have been meaning to start a thread for ever now but finally got down to it today.
    will keep em coming as often as I can.

And when the hell is our Mumbai TFI meet guys?