1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cancelling a NOC for purpose of Sale

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by nixnarayanan, Feb 19, 2015.

1. nixnarayanan

nixnarayanan Timido

chennai
    Dear Fellow Team Fiat'ians,

I would appreciate if someone could quickly guide me through procedure for cancellation of NOC obtained from Chennai RTO. My friend while relocating out of Chennai had got NOC from RTO. However, the NOC was not utilised and now he has found a potential buyer in TN itself. So he wishes to cancel the NOC. He has already obtained the Non Usage Certificate from the concerned RTO in Kerala.

The Car is currently in Kerala and another issue is that the owner is out of country, but however has issued Power of Attorney(endorsed by Indian Embassy). Had visited the Commissioners office in Veppery, however, the authorities were of relatively lesser help in helping me.

Regards
    Nikhil
  2. sidnaique

sidnaique Timido

Goa
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi nixnarayanan,

I am no expert on this but I did some running around recently to sell my old car and I hope my experience is of some help to you.

Usually the NOC expires in 3 to 6 months. If its been that long then it might have been cancelled already (Check with Chennai RTO). If not then to cancel the NOC, you will need to surrender the original NOC to Chennai RTO along with:
    1. a certificate from Kerala RTO stating that the vehicle was not registered there (I guess that's the NUC your friend has obtained already)
    2. An affidavit from the owner stating that the vehicle or the NOC has not been misused in any way (not sure how this works in the 'power of attorney' case). The 'typists' outside the RTO office, who usually type these affidavits', might be able to help you with the format as well as the 'POA' issue.
    3. Fees (not sure how much but mostly Rs.100)
    4. Documents such as RC, Taxation Cert., Insurance, PUC, etc.

Advise: At any government office, talk to the general staff if you find someone polite, like a peon, clerk, etc. They usually have more first hand information of these 'less important' everyday stuff than the higher authorities. Most of the times the guy who types affidavits outside the RTO office knows a lot more, about the procedures and documents required, than anybody sitting inside the office. And will be willing to even find a workaround for you since you will be giving him some business.

I hope this was of some help. The rules vary from state to state and I hope I didn't confuse you told you something you already knew.
    Goodluck.
    -Sid.