1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can we shift to Neutral while down-sloping?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Naughty, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Can we shift to neutral while down-sloping?

Suppose we are on a Ghat section and while the down slop, should we or should we not shift gear to Neutral? Will it harm the clutch plate?

Shifting gear to neutral is equal to pressing the clutch specifically when vehicle is on the move?

Please clear my doubt fellow Fiatians....

Regards,

Neel
    1 person likes this.
  2. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    You should Never Shift to Neutral while going downhill... this will do nothing but Eat away your breaks and you will be at risk of losing control of your Car/Bike....never ...never ...never do that.... drive in top gear instead that will be a better option....
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    3 people like this.
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Yep. Never shift to Neutral while on downward slope. Always keep it in gears. It'll give you more control, confidence & you can use engine breaking for better control.
    2 people like this.
  4. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Thanks Friends :)

So it does not eat away clutch plate but rather eat away brake pads... correct?

Thanks for your prompt Valuable inputs... TFI Helps me a lot...

Neel.
  5. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Slap the guy who told you that on my behalf.... and slap him hard..... Going downhill does not impact your clutch more than your normal plain driving... the wear and tear on your clutch will be minuscule in front of the Tyre and break wear...and the risk that you are putting your life into.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    No way. The thumb-rule is, for driving downhill, engage the same gear that was used for driving uphill. In other words, you should be able to drive downhill without using the brakes.:) This will avoid brake-failure.
    12 people like this.
  7. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Thank you Ravi Sir.
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    When you brake during a downhill there is no support from engine brake(in gear) and your disc pad contact area will be in high temperature and higher stress resulting in pad surface deformations which can spoil both your pad and disc.
    2 people like this.
  9. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    +1

This is the way I have been taught by my elders. Those days with an Amby, driving thru ghats used to be a major test for all drivers. But now its very easy with better cars & roads.

Kiran
    3 people like this.
  10. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    shifting to neutral while going down, makes you brake more and more. As the disc and pads get heated up braking efficiency reduces drastically called as brake fade. this is a sure shot recipe for braking loss when needed and for death. never do this please :)
    2 people like this.