1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can we reset the ECU of Punto/Linea ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Thanks ofor your input. I will try this and at the same time. I want a help from you guys. I need a car for daily usage since from 2011 I am not able to manage the petrol cost. I want your advise for the upcoming SUV which sis suitable and less maintanance. Because I suffered in power window problem in punto. The string was misplaced from the driving motor. So it caused me 2500/-. As far as maruti its 600/-.
    Please suggest me Duster, ECO sport, Ertiga even am the fan of FIAT products still in curent scenario there is no moderate amount of resale value is increased so far. I dont know waht FIAT is going to do for the FIAT users. Most of the people are strugglin becaue of hisgh spare parts rate. No road sie mechanic, no offers for existing cutomers or els need to have good resale nothing is there.

Please suggest me a good car atleast in 2013 will be happy with my new car. thank you
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Re: ECM reset in chennai

So you want to sell punto because it gives less mileage and buy a SUV that gives more lesser mileage???:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

Anyway whats your budget?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Did you report this problem during service? What was tried so far? Just to eliminate the possibility, could you try driving another Punto / get someone else to drive your Punto to see if it makes a difference?

If the requirement is daily drive in city traffic, with less fuel costs and less maintenance cost, then SUV is a bad choice. You should look at small cars like Alto, Beat, Brio or even Nano.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @rajeshmohanrao, the first mistake you did was to go for a petrol 1.4 instead of 1.2. The second was, if cost of petrol was an issue, then you should have opted for a diesel which would have given you more mileage. You seem to be contemplating the third folly by thinking of going for a SUV which are sure fuel guzzlers. A Beat diesel or Punto mkd may be the ideal choice for city commute.
    Alternatively , try filling petrol at good bunks, keep your air filter cleaned regularly and alter your driving or try some fuel burn enhancing additive from Bharat petroleum.

Abdul
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Dude !! do you even know how injectors are replaced? and whats the procedure for the same in factory and even at TASS?
    I dont know from where have you gathered the information that ECU learns on its own how much to inject when the new injector is put in.

This is how the injector is fitted in factory and also in TASS.

Every injector manufactured at bosch cannot be Guaranteed to perform or inject the same quantity. So Bosch puts it on a testing bench and the hitech testing bench does the calibration and generates a Serial no which is 8 digit : example AIAAEAIA

This serial no is punched on every injector manufactured by Bosch.

Now what do FIAT/TASS do with this code - This code is punched into the ECU. The 4 injectors have 4 different codes and ECU understands how much to inject thru this injectors via only these codes. If you want to test just swap the injectors on your car and see what happens.

If according to your concept the current injector is removed and replaced with new injector and you drive the car and wait for ECU to learn- this is not going to happen.

Everytime the injector is replaced the new injector code has to be mandatorily fed in the ECU.

Conception of driving? - i am hearing this for the first time. We not not discussing here the driving styles at all. we are discussing about the vehicle which behaves differently on hgihway and city and its designed to do so.

Ok for your information i have done the self adaptation reset through ecu scanner hell lot of times. And you are sure it does not work !! Dude it does work. Without trying please dont comment.

As soon as you do self adaptation reset - the check ECU error comes up as the ECU goes to bare bone. Then you engage the clutch and gear and put on the climate control AC, ECU learns that this car is fitted with manual gearbox and ACC AC and the Check engine light goes off. Then you drive on highway fast enough and ECU learns you need high rpm band.
    Then next day you start driving in city and the car adapts to city.
    4 people like this.
  6. The procedure you said is 100% correct about replacing a injector. but do you know after an injector is replaced, there is a lot which ECU needs to learn. Giving a 8 digit serial number is only one part of it.

I have never done this Self Adaptaiton reset..who do you determine that the ECU is reset now ? could you give me more details..on ECU error and ECU scanner..I would like to know more.

And the possiblity self adaption of Gerabox, ACC, and all this will happen only if they have own ECUs to control it..and as far i know Punto does not have a gearbox ECU..
    From your statemenet : It should be possible to punto 90 HP ECU to any ECU and it sould adapt automoatically ? does this happen ?
    If any one on this forum knows, a Active varint ECU can be used on Dynamic, emotion and 90 BHP ECUs ?
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The question is self answerable even to the most casual of observers.

I am seeing a lot of posts with nothing but assumptions and imaginations from your side. Kindly post with more restraint.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Sadanand - why do you have so many assumptions and fantacies ? be practical and study the cars before commenting. You boldly say that " this will happen only if they have own ecu to control it "

Dont forget there are somethings called " SENSORS" . Our fiat cars have clutch pedal, accelerator pedal, brake pedal, gear lever and many such sensors.
    Press the clutch and you see " Clutch Pressed/Depressed" on scanner. Slot in the gear and you see " Gear Engaged" on scanner.

There need not be seperate ECUs for all these above. The ECU takes signals from the above sensors and establishes the nodes.

How did you conclude that " Punto 90hp ecu should adapt to any" ? Man i am afraid that i cannot explain you more.

I am replying to your illogical imaginations just because i dont want my fellow TFIans to get misinformed due to your posts.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

I disconnected my Puntos Battery today for 2 hours and connected them back.
    Notice a considerable difference the way the car is behaving, However landed up in another minor niggle.
    The car just wont detect USB pen drive. When i use the steering mounted controls there is no option for media player available any more.
    Can some one suggest what should i check next?
  10. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Are you able to pair your phone with Blue&Me? Is it detecting your phone. Try making a call and see.

It could be a temporary error. Hopefully, when you start the car tomorrow it will work.

If it doesn't, then I suggest that you disconnect the negative terminal again for "15 minutes" not 2 hours.

I am sure you know this already, but still, make sure that the key is removed from the ignition console while you disconnect the terminal. No electrical should be up at that time.