1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can we reset the ECU of Punto/Linea ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Nov 11, 2010.

1. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Rajesh - Where do you get your car serviced from? As suggested by Italia-Linea get the car serviced. Drop a note in this thread for any assistance.
  2. No ECU will reset if the battery is disconnected and connected back. The only way to reset any learnings done by ECM is to erase them by using the service tester. Once it is erased the ECM learns it back. This is generally done when any component is replaced with a new one, as the learnings from the old one will not apply to the new one.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    This is wrong info. Using a factory ECU scanner you can only erase adaptive learning. Disconnecting the battery resets the ECU. It also resets trip meters.
    There are some hard code errors which are stored on ecu for diagnosis and some are soft which get reset by battery disconnect method.

Even if you replace the component self adaptive learning systems in magnetti marelli ecus will learn it in 50 odd kms.
  4. Trip meters are coming from the Dash board ECU..and not engine ECU. and the trip meter information is stored temporarily there, and it is lost once the battery is disconnected. Where as if you see the total distance covered is coming from the Engine ECU you cannot do anything to reset them.

And yes as you said an ECU can learn any adaptive learning quickly..but it may not depend purely on the distance..every learning needs its own suitable conditions..and only then it can learn. if the suitable conditions does not occur in 50 Kms they will not learn it..and also some times this learning is done is steps..in order to keep the learning accurate..
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Can you explain suitable conditions? Does ecu select only some suitable conditions? How can that suitable condition not occur in 50 kms?
    Learning done in steps? - how does this happen. And whats learning inaccurate and accurate?

ODO- according to regulatory norms cannot be erased , so like i said it is stored in permanent memory which cannot be erased. ODO can be increased but not decreased.

Many cars like alto , swift etc done have a Body ECU. When you reset the ECU the trip meters reset. The fiat cars have a body ecu as well as engine ECU.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Do you have any example for adaptive learning ? for..e.g...in one of the thread there was a discussion going on EGR..and i mentioned about the learning it does..so this can happen only when the EGR is not being used by the engine..ECU cannot play around operating EGR valve for learning when it is supposed to function as desired by engine.

And for e.g. if any deviation is +100 then the learning happens in steps of +10 everytime..once the desired value is learnt this procedure no more changes/learns so often unless some component is changed
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Very simple examples. You keep driving on highway ECU self adapts to highway run, mid and high range improves automatically. Yo keep driving in city your low end gets better.

This is total bouncer for a noob like me. Deviation is +100 ? where??
    Learning happens in steps of +10 everytime? what steps, how is this concluded? i am totally clueless
    Which desired value is learnt and what process does not change?

I am sorry but i am not able to understand what does all the above mean.

Have you tried doing a Self Adaptation reset?
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

Re: ECM reset in chennai

As far as i know about this. Steps mentioned by italia linea are correct for ecu reset.

Ecu is has something called RAM & ROM. Adaptive learning is stored in RAM. RAM memory is temporary memory and the only way to erase it is when you unplug power.

Additionaly ECU is always on a continous process of learning. It is not that it learns for the first few 100 kms and assumes that this is how i need to behave permanently.

By disconnecting power source all we are telling the ECU to do is. Forget everything till now. Lets have a fresh start.

Ive tried this and it works.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Perfectly said in layman terms Shadowfax
  10. In my view. This is just our conecption...no mid - low- high range changes. if you keep driving in city or highway conditions..it all depends on the driver and his driving style.

OK and now to explain you about the deviation..lets us take a detailed example so that it is clear..
    For e.g. if an injector had tolerance of + or -20 (mg of fuel quantity) during production..so lets assume that the current injector has a devition of +20. and not you replace this with an injector of -20 deviation..in such case ECU should learn this difference. so it can not calculate this in one shot..Once it detect that the pervious learning is not correct..it reduces the learning to + 15 (may be) then checks the behaviour..and then further reduces it to +`0..and this goes on..this can take 50 Kms..or 500Kms or 50 driving cycles..or...

I have never tried this..and i am sure that this does not work :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

You are correct. Yes ECU has RAM and ROM. ROM is used to store permanant information. and no informtion in engine ECU is stored in temporary RAM. A dash board ECU may be different. The RAM is used is used only to store the data during procesing same as in your system. and once your turn off the igintion key this is lost.