1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can we reset the ECU of Punto/Linea ?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by amolmane, Nov 11, 2010.

1. amolmane

amolmane Guest

Hi
    I read on various sites that, ECU can be reset by disconneting -ve terminal OR disconnecting both battery terminals.
    But as per my experience with FIAT cars,ECU of PUNTO can not be reset.
    If there is any ECU error/fault code,you have to connect to Examiner only.

Because I had disconnected some sensors,& errors could not recovered even after disconnecting -ve terminal OR diconnecting both battery terminals

Disconneting -ve terminal OR disconnecting both battery terminals this jugad is possible only in Maruti Vehicles.
    I had done once of my Dzire VXi

Is there anyone who has experienced this ? :anyone
  2. Amol ECU can be reset after disconnecting -ve terminal.If there was one off error due to sensor gathering dust etc it will be cleared.But if the issue exist after reconnecting it will be shown again.Disconnect only -ve terminal it's pretty easy to do it, never disconnect +ve first it might spark.
  3. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Sorry, but this is not correct. The data logger is unaffected by disconnectong the ECU from the poer source.

If the fault is intermittent the ECU does not stay in emergency mode. It might take a couple of starts before the fault code is ignored. However the fault code will be in the data logger and can only be removed by the examiner or similar tool.

The disconnecting of the ECU only erases theclongterm fuel trim/
  4. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

disconnecting the (-) terminal resets only certain parameter's in the ECU. It does not reset the whole ECU. (just some fuel mixture values & the throttle sensor value) sometimes false reported errors are also gone. But if some errors still show, then there is something REALLY wrong in the car.

After "reset" there are some steps you need to follow to make it useful:
    1) clean the air filter. screw the cover back properly. (dont loose any screws in the engine bay :!: )
    2) turn the key to MAR (no ignition) when all the required warning lights are off, remove the key.
    3) next turn the car on (ignition) and let it run idle for 1-2 mins (no revs, no AC, dont touch the pedal) turn it off. (if a cold start, let the rpm normalize to 900 rpm)
    4) turn the car on again, drive for 1-2 kms without AC as you normally do (eco mode) no sudden acceleration and of that sort.
    5) after that drive with the ac on. and that should be it.

The ecu will have stored the values and also the throttle to your style

The reset is generally done when you are in a new part of the country and all of a sudden the car is not behaving/responding as it is suppose to your style..

When my 1.4 GP+ was new, i was always complaining no torque (i know its just 115) but first i thought it was coz i drove a Turbo diesel earlier.. but when i drove a friends 1.4 Linea+, it was more responsive then my lighter GP. (for some reason whenever i was driving in pune, my GP would feel a bit more faster.. back to mumbai same under performance)

Disconnected and reconnected the -ve terminal.. followed the above process and the effect was drastic.
    I could easily feel the difference not only from before but also that 'little' weight difference from the Linea i drove.. (re-discovered my 1.4 FIRE all over again :mrgreen: )
  5. @drifter: How long does it take for the new long term fuel trim value to get stabilized, if we drive at a constant style?
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amol, it does reset some parameters as per my experience. I had an high rpm idling problem in my Siena where the car idles at 1300rpm. When I showed it to my friend he disconnected the battery and connected it back and the idling rpm came back to the normal 800-900 range.
  7. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    It has to go through each mapping point a few times. It will alter values fairly quickly, but as no one can drive constantly it might takes some time to get through all mapping points.

In practical terms it can be from a couple of hours to several days till it stabilises, but will continue to adapt.
  8. amolmane

amolmane Guest

Hi
    This is the mail written to Mr.Kodalkar of Fiat India

Sir,
    I used punto multijet for 1 year (30000KM) & own Maruti Dzire (Diesel) also.

As I am giving frequent complaints about low power
    After using car for a year I came to conclusion that
    Multijet engine is too much sensitive to fuel Adulteration.

While same platform DDiS engine of Maruti Swift (Diesel) is less sensitive to bad fuel. So Maruti custmers are happy.
    FIAT should do some R & D on its ECU Firmware of Multijet engines.

It is no doubt that Multijet is little bit better than DDiS
    But due to short gear ratio & because of too much refinement
    multijet is headache for customer. Because In India Diesel quality is worst.

I think Maruti has got success to take proper output from Multijet & FIAT is not so much succeessful to get effcient output from its own Multijet.
    To overcome this issue FIAT should make necessary changes in ECU of Multijet. Let me know what action FIAT is taking in this issue

So FIAT should call back all at Service dealers & replace the ECU Firmaware
    With Regards
    Amol Mane

Fiat is doing R & D on Punto & Linea
    Fiat has recalling cars to replace Clutch Slave Cylenders & is going to recalling to update AC firmware of ECU
    Then why fiat is not serious to change complete firmware of ECU

Mr.Kodalkar gave me irresponsible answer that These 75 bhp versions runs like this only.
    If you want more power then you purchase 90HP version.

I think fiat is doing Ginipig of indian customers.

They should have launch directly 90 HP.
    Because of this Trial & Error game of fiat,Indian customers are wasting their hard earned money
  9. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    @amol. This is the first time I am hearing someone reporting multijet is sensitive to fuel. Fiat has mentioned in the owner's handbook what kind of fuel is to be used for multijet. Simple thing is, if you are not happy with the product, dump it and stick with a product you are comfortable with. It is strange that out of close to 20K Puntos sold, you alone think that ECU firmware requires changes. Why don't you set an example by propounding some ECU settings, proving them on test vehicle (yours obviously) and then tell Fiat what they are lacking.
  10. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Every car that runs on road today is sensitive to adulterated fuel. Even my 2000 model carb. Maruti 800 is sensitive to adulterated fuel, my carb have been cleaned twice in 1 year to remove gumming.
    Instead of blaming FIAT ECU tuning change your petrol pump. Always stick to COCO pumps or reputed private pumps.
    Multijet have linear power delivery while DDiS jumps out from it's chassis once turbo kicks in and is not comfortable when you drive it for first time in B2B traffic ( it gets some time to be comfortable with ddis)
    Why don't you contact some good tuner and get the stock mapping of DDiS ECU put into Multijet ECU.