1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can we claim the insurance 2nd time in one year?

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by nmp, Aug 14, 2011.

1. nmp

nmp Amatore

Thane, Mumbai
    Hello guys

Today, while coming from Mumbai to Thane, my car met with an accident.:sad1 It was raining heavily, the roads are terrible, muddy, slippery, at particular one turn in the ghat section, the car got badly hit by big stone, while clearing the pothole. I stopped the car, and checked for the damage. The bumper had a crack in the front, apart from that there was no visual damage. When I started the car, it got started without any problem, so I drove it for some km, but after that i felt some knocking in 1/2nd gear. Then suddenly I saw the red indicator light of engine temp. I stopped immediately and checked for the coolant. It was empty. But Fan was working. So filled the water, and started again. Again after few kms, the engine temp started shooting, so I stopped and tried for RSA, Fiat Service Center, but in vain. Because of long weekend, there was no reply. RSA replied me that the towing vehicle will be available only after 5 PM and it was 11AM.

I tried to for Pioneerarron, but he was not reachable. Got Aniket but he too was at his native.

So I catch hold of a local mechanic. He said the radiator has got damaged. After opening, he found out the leakage and used M-Seal. After finishing the work when I started the car, it was alright, the fan was working, but after few kms the indicator of the engine temp started shooting to Red zone and coming back Normal. Worried I stopped and tried to open radiator top, huge amount of steam started flowing out. I waited for few mins, filled it with water and started towards Nasik. It was already dark, raining and I was hardly 7/8 kms away. But I have to stop again after few kms. Finally I reached Nasik, but I'm now worried, if Nasik Fiat Service Center can handle it here. I think the radiator, Bumper needs to be changed, there may be a possibility that the gasket has also got damaged. So here are my questions

1. Can I drive back to Mumbai in such condition.
    2. If I can claim the Insurance 2nd time. As I've already claimed it this year for the amount @ 11000/-

Apart from the engine temp, there was no other problem - or at least I noticed.:confused:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Please do not drive back to Mumbai in such a condition. The car's engine may not tolerate frequent overheatings.

I have no idea about the insurance specifics, but if you are not fully confident about Nasik FIAT service centre's expertise then just get the radiator replaced from here , and do the rest from Mumbai. Radiator replacement is a pretty basic task which most mechanics can easily do. Just make sure there is no air in the system.

Check all the hoses which go from the engine to the radiator for cracks or tears. If necessary replace them.

Wishing you the best.
  3. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Claiming insurance for the 2nd time should not be a problem. I think the Nasik F.A.S.S. should be able to fix it without a problem!
  4. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    insurance can be claimed second time. no problem there. make sure your car is fit for a long journey and then proceed.
  5. nmp

nmp Amatore

Thane, Mumbai
    Thanks guys for the suggestions.

As per your suggestions, and what I too thought a best option, I've decided to check with Nasik TASC first. Being a Independence Day, today, I think they will be close. Let me check. Will keep you updated.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Do not drive the car without coolant /temp signal glowing.it can badly damage engine piston or cylinders due to excessive heat. an m-seal cannot fix our modern car radiators as the coolant pumps at very high pressure. replacement is the only way.
    Is you Air conditioner working? unfortunately Ac condenser might have also damaged because radiator stays behind it.

which is your insurance company?
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Insurance can be claimed any number of times in one year. If you have a zero depreciation/100% cover insurance then that can be claimed twice a year with 100% cover and any number of times without 100% cover like any other insurance
  8. nmp

nmp Amatore

Thane, Mumbai
    As expected its a holiday today, I'll have to wait here for one more day. :sad:

I've checked with another mechanic, he mentioned that the engine gasket has gone. :sad:

@Jaydev : - AC is working but visually it seems the condenser too has taken a hit.
    Insured by: - The New India Assurance Co.

@Shams: - I'm not sure which type of Insurance, I've got.:confused:
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I sincerely hope that the head as well as the gasket is fine, but in the unfortunate circumstance that they are not , i hope the following little bit of info may come handy.
    -x-x-x-x

I reckon your first plan of action should be to replace the radiator and check whether the car runs fine or still overheats. If it does, make sure there are no external leaks and the coolant level stays constant.

If the coolant level does go down and there is no indication of an external leak then it may point to a blown head gasket.

Replacing head gaskets is not exactly an easy thing but i hope the nasik dealer is upto the job to replace it.

The dealer may ask you to replace the entire head since it may have warped due to overheating , but many times the head can be repaired at a lathe shop. The surface is made perfectly even on the lathe and the head can be used again without any issues.

If the head is warped beyond a certain degree then replacing it may be the only option. In any case, make sure that the dealer is competent since fitting the cylinder head+gasket requires a great deal of expertise.

The head is tightened in a specified manner only , and the head bolts are tightened only as much as the FIAT workshop manual specifies. Not more not less.

So, if the going gets rough, make sure you're informed about it.

We here will try and help you all the way to the best of our ability.

Cheers.
  10. nmp

nmp Amatore

Thane, Mumbai
    Guruji

The more the clear picture, it's getting more scary. OMG, I will need all your help as I'm absolutely novice about the car mechanics. :sad1

Thanks in advance.