1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can I repair this car

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ravi ganesan, Jul 8, 2014.

1. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    I too had a bad experience with Carnation, they broke my ex santro's windshield and replaced it without my knowledge. Later found it with the manufacturing year sticker on windshield while washing..
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Scrap it in 60000, buy a good condition palio in 60/80 k

Option 2: find a donor car with damaged engine, move your engine and other good components to that car. Cost: around 30/40 k

Carnation : A joke by Jagdish Khattar.
    2 people like this.
  3. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    The the only question I would ask is - What is the condition of the chassis? Has it been inspected?

If the chassis has taken a hit, I would suggest claim total loss and look for a replacement!
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Lets do the calculations:
    IDV : 145000
    Repair cost: 120000
    Since repair cost is 75% more than IDV this will be a total loss.
    Now Bajaj offered: 45000 + 60000 =105000. So what is the basis for this offer? This is based on the calculations that after repair what would have been the IDV applicable as per the Insurers. Ideally the IDV shouldnt change and should be paid to the Insured but supposedly after the repairs the depreciation applicable would reduce the IDV to a value of 105000 as per Insurer. Now this is negotiable. The parts of negoatiation are repairs + Salvage cost. Insured should negotiate such that a min amount equivalent to next year's IDV should be applicable ie 145000 * 10% = 130000.
    So if the Insured settles for the amount then he would be owner of the salvage and not the workshop or the Insurer. Either he can sell the scrap and get the balance amount i.e 145000-105000=30000 or he can get the car repaired at an unauthorized workshop for much lesser amount. In that case he doesnt have to do any paperwork. But if he sells the scrap himself then he will have to do some paperwork such as getting a certificate from Insurer, cancelling the RC at RTO.

Attaching a document which describes the general process prevailing in India regarding total loss ssttlement. I am no expert in this, a consultation with Insurance experts can help further.

View attachment Total loss claim settlement.doc
    4 people like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    ^^If the IDV is 1.45L for this car, repair cost offered is understandable.

When IDV is 1.45L, as per this definition, "It is the current market value of your vehicle that is fixed by the insurer and provided in case of theft or total lossovehicle." shouldn't one be re-reimbursed in total loss case, a full amount or something close to this. I am still confused. I am at total-loss with this concept of IDV I guess? :(

^^ I understood this calculation as mentioned here.

Have they declared this a total loss vehicle yet in this case..? Because this is either you take 45k for repairs or 60k if you claim total loss, right?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    He has to get the quote from another garage for the repair. The quote of Rs. 1.2L from Carnation, I just can't trust these guys. Also, Ravi has to provide more details on the damage. The pictures are still not clear.
  7. ravi ganesan

ravi ganesan

CHENNAI
    Dear Sir,

Insurer offered only 60,000 on Total loss basis and 40,000 on cash loss basis.Not yet inspected the chasis.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Isnt it a rule that the insurer needs to pay the IDV value of the car in case of total loss
  9. ravi ganesan

ravi ganesan

CHENNAI
    They are not declaring it as total loss,but as a favour they will do so if I accepet 60,000/
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The Insurer will never declare it as a total loss since it is a Constructive total loss

Definition:

Total Loss - If a motor vehicle has been destroyed or has been rendered permanently incapable of use and it beyond repairs, then it is total loss. In this case the wreck is sold by the Insurance co

Contructive Total loss - A vehicle will be considered Contructive Total Loss or CTL wher the aggregate cost of retrieval and /or repair of the vehcile subject to T& C of the policy exceeds 75% of the IDV. This means that the vehicle can still be repaired but the cost of the repair exceeds the T&C of the policy. In this case the decision to sell the wreck is upto the Insured and he needs to contact the salvage buyer directly without the Insurance co being involved.

It is upto the surveyor to confirm to which category the vehicle belongs upon inspection.
    1 person likes this.