1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Can I repair this car

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ravi ganesan, Jul 8, 2014.

1. ravi ganesan

ravi ganesan

CHENNAI
    Palio met with accident rear got hit and I wonder whether repair will be of any good.FIAT PALIO 1.2 ELX Petrol 2003 model.

20140602_083432.jpg
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Oh bad to see Palio in this state, I hope all occupants are safe.

With picture it looks really bad, but I am sure it can be repaired. I think you need to check the cost at couple of service centers/garages. And then make a decision, if it make sense to keep it or move ahead.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    What is the damage above the C Pillar? Do you have any more pictures?

If you are interested, I can provide the contact of my mechanic who is expertised in Palios. He can probably inspect and advice you accordingly.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    What is the IDV of the vehicle (should be much more than market value). Speak to your insurance guy first. If you intend to keep the car restoring is not too difficult. Either ways the salvage value is less than cost of a new bike for Palios. Once the mangled parts are cut out the real damage can be assessed. You need to check the chassis damage (rear) too most importantly..

Please post more pics. Resize to 800 pix. aspect for a good fit in thread posts.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Looking at the damage it qualifies for a total loss coz the C pillar is damaged which puts the structural integrity in doubt. I feel the repair expenses are going to be huge. Better get an opinioin from the Insurance guys.
  6. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if the repair estimate is more than 75% of the IDV Value for the 2003 model palio, you are bound to get a total loss settlement better than market value !!! damage looks bad, or may be because of this photo angle ?
  7. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,

1. It's repairable. Anything is repairable.
    2. But are you planning to repair and sell OR you wanna repair and keep.

If you are planning to keep it:

3.Will it pass the checklist of stability, durability and driver's confidence.
    4. Reputation of the garage or mechanic who is gonna work on it.
    3. Price. What quotations you get. Is it worth the effort
    4. Can you get genuine parts replaced for the price.

It will all come down to achieving a balance all these which will help you decide.

If expenses are reasonable and you feel it wouldnt be a bother, you could keep it. If you r skeptical, check out if you can get a good deal for it if you sell it.

Try to Post some more pics so the exact damge can be estimated. There are very well informed people in this forum, who would certainly guide you on how to deal with this situation.

Oh palio baby.....you gotta get well soon .
    1 person likes this.
  8. ravi ganesan

ravi ganesan

CHENNAI
    Palio.jpg

One more snap of rear door damage.

- - - Merged Post - - -

The IDV of the car is Rs1,45,000 and the repair cost as per canation auto works ambattur works out 1.2lacs .Bajaj Allianz willing to pay 45000 as repair cost and 60.000 if I scrap it (They will own the car or scrap whatever).Please advice.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Please attach a wider shot of bumper, C-pillar and B-Pillar and Front and Rear doors, rear glass, boot door etc.

Two doors are gone, one could be repaired. Actually there are artists in India who can repair the entire mangled doors. :)
    But you could get fully re-furbished palio doors at scrap yards or used parts dealers.

- - - Merged Post - - -

This repair cost is if you are getting original new parts, certainly not old used parts. Local mechanics and workshops are the best option if you want to repair it. My suggestion is you repair it and sell. Wish you were in Mumbai, I would help you fix it in 45k. :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

[HR][/HR]
    [HR][/HR]
    If the IDV is 1,25,000/- agreed, why is the total loss price lower at 60k. Anyone?, Girish, your comments needed esp.
    How did they calculate that ?
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  10. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    3 people like this.