1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Camera in my car

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by dhoundiyal1, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Hi Guys,

I wanted to add a 2W camera to my car which gives a HD resolution videos. I wanted the cam to record 24*7 even when the car is not switched ON. I have a 55AH Amron battery(stock battery was a 50AH only) and I need to connect my camera directly to the battery. So my question is will this drain the battery or is it good enough for a 55Ah battery to get recharged on a daily drive ?

Thanks,

Sandeep.
  2. How are you planning on keeping the cam powered when your car will be off??
    This is not a good idea to use the car battery to power it 24/7,better to use the cam when you are using the car,@other times you can use a spy pen camera or something which lasts for 5-6hrs on a single charge.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    there are lot of car DVRs available in ebay, priced around 3k.. all of them are from china.. they can be connected to the power socket, it ll start recording when the car is switched on n stop when its switched off.. extremely useful thing, especially when two wheelers accuse the bigger cars for the mistake they commit n we can show them the proof with video :D
    there are already a couple of threads on that, please search before starting.
    1 person likes this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    it is never advisible to use the car battery straight off for such purposes.
    There are many things you need to consider for this.

1.) You need to find a good enough portable camera which has wide angle.(in the range of 10-12mm at max)
    ^^ is going to be expensive
    2.) You need to find a camera that can record in high quality (Not necessary HD, but at least at 480p)
    ^^ 1+2 would be a tough ask
    3.) There needs to be a recording circuit
    4.) A charging circuit.

In all these things can cost you quite a bit to be frank. Cheap ones are at best cheap only.
    Amazon.com: Dash Cam Dual Camera Mini DVR System - Records Video Inside & Outside Vehicle w/ Audio - Police Style 2 Channel Car Dashboard Windshield Camera + Microphone Plus GPS Tracking Device & Accident Recorder w/ Google Map - IR Night Vision Reco
    That's how much one would really cost.

On another note. I would simply say buy the cheapest phone available and stick it to your IRVM. Keeping it recording 24/7 would still be a challenge . Well let me think about the easiest way to fill it with juice time and again and get back to this thread
  5. Hi Varun,

I already have a cam bought by me from World leader in IP Surveillance; Axis Communciations. That costed me around 20k and is a 720p clarity. I need to power it 24*7 else it will forget its date and time. I need it to record only when car is on but need the power to constantly keep the device on. The device if kept on takes around 2W only. I need a expert advice if it will drain my battery completely or is it fine to use it without much battery draining.

Sandeep.

Hi,

I already have a camera with me. What I need is an advice of battery consumption during the 24*7 operation of the cam.

Sandeep.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Using it on your default battery will surely drain it out without a doubt . There is no easy way to charge it.
    Having said that , If you still insist that its an absolute must then I have a solution for it.

1.) Buy a powerbank , something like this YOOBAO.COM
    Connect it to your camera and let it draw the power from it so that you dont have to use the car battery
    2.) When you get into the car , then use the ciggarette lighter socket to charge the powerbank itself .
    3.) When you find time and your sure that you dont need survellience for your car then you can take the powerbank home and charge it via the normal AC point .

This powerbank can be kept in the front left foot well you can anchor it with some sort of sticky tapes so that it wont move around and then draw out a sufficiently lengthy wire to tap into your camera.

But if you do all these then honestly your car would look like a govt power grid with wires all around.
    So the call is up to you.
  7. 20k is very expensive,how is the quality btw? Can you post a pic here for reference.sorry to hijack you thread buddy, posting it here as this is active

I am looking for blackvue dr500 or dr 400 in india but its not available.And even if I get it imported it will cost a good 25 to 30k including customs.
    guys I need your opinion to buy a good car dvr, has to be hd, and need gps logger, with good battery backup(shouldnt be too bulky).Dont mind even if it doesnt have g sensors.

8. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    check here: Dual Camera Car DVR for Sale - Brand New, Unused - HVK Store
    he is selling it cos he is finding it a bit too large n distracting in the front glass !! try contacting him n see...
    1 person likes this.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    @ arnab Forget those >10K ones and check out something from DX.com. I've seen sample videos of a few models and the quality of video seems to be impressive and there are ones available similar to the models you mentioned above atleast aesthetically. Actually i was looking for something compact too since i absolutely hate anything hanging onto my windscreen and causing obstruction to visibility.

Looking for something that hides nicely behind the RVM and calmly does it's job. I guess we can route wires for power through the roof area and pluck the other end somewhere in the fuse box rather than having wires dangling from the only power socket.

I think they have minor discounts for bulk shipping which we might consider. Their free shipping sucks so it would be worth getting paid shipping which is around +20$. My only worry is the customs duty though.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  10. Already I will be placing my gps, thwn this bulky camera will obstruct the views of the left.On highways this will not be an issue, but cities this will pose a big problem.
    That is the reason I wanted something sleek to place behing rvm, on ebay india nothing like that is available.
    The only problem with importing these products is import duty.