1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cabin temperature display showing -31 C. Affecting AC as well.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by puntoharry, Aug 4, 2011.

1. puntoharry

puntoharry Timido

Mumbai
    This Sunday while returning back from a drive my temperature display suddenly disappeared and my AC stopped working. I somehow reached my house and the next day it was fine.

Today while driving back again, the temperature of my car suddenly started dipping and it reached -31 C. I have attached the image for reference.

What could be the problem? Please help.

IMG_20110803_195815.jpg

IMG_20110803_201411.jpg
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Seems like the temp sensor has gone bad.

Do try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 15 mins so as to make the ECU 'forget' things. Maybe it can work itself out.

If it still persists, then TASS would be the only way out.
  3. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Puntoharry,

The temp which has reduced is the external ambient temp and not the car temperature. As I understand the sensor for this is in the left ORVM. Was there any problem with the Left ORVM? accident or any damage please check. Is your AC OK now?

Before the AC stopped working, for how long were you driving with the AC on? Have you driven with AC on for the same period or more afterwards. Can you give us your car details such as date of mfg, variant etc.

I am asking above questions because I had similar problems of AC not working after sometime. This was atributed to frosting(ice formation around cooling coils). The AC would start working normally after sometime of stoppage. Incase you feel this is the same problem inform me I can help you getting the same solved.

Kiran
  4. kirenh
    no
    the sensor actually is in the cabin.
    there is one black round think at the extreme end of the dash board towards the mirror in the center?
    like straight below the rear view mirror.
    that is the temperature sensor
  5. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    U reached switzerland for free!! :D Hehe! Just joking!

Surely a problem with the temperature sensor! Get it checked!
  6. but why wud ac get off if the problem was with the sensor?
  7. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    I think the ac compressor and sensors got burnt! :(
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Sri ... I think the temp displayed in the MID is ambient temperature & the sensor is underneath the right ORVM. The one which you are talking about maybe the sensor for Automatic Climate Control. If your statement is true can you please clarify what is the sensor underneath the right ORVM please.
  9. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    the sensor under the right orvm is the outside temperature sensor and the one in the center of the dash is for the climate control.
  10. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Please note I might be wrong, hence had asked which variant is he driving. In EP & 90HP that black round thing is the AC sensor, but as per the SA there is one more sensor inside the left ORVM and it reads the outside ambient temp which is shown in the display.

Kiran