1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying second hand Palio

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Fiatman, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Fiatman

Fiatman Timido

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hello friends, m planning to buy second hand palio. Plz advise me if it would be a correct decision especially since its a discontinued product from Fiat. Also it would be great to know from you guys about its spare parts availability and servicing. I am based in Goa by the way, so wud like to know from fellow fiat fans in goa about the availability of spares and service points in goa for Palio. Thanks..
  2. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have Palio as well as Punto. Although Palio is definitely a good car to drive and no issues so far wrt servicing and spared in FASS, but my opinion would be to go for Punto unless you are constrained by budget. Whatever model you are purchasing, its too old to maintain now. I keep facing small issues frequently. Also if its from Coastal region like Goa, you will have to think about Rusting. Last week silencer muffler in my car broke out because of rust. Its going to be heavy on my pocket now. :( :(
    Tornado and Fiatman like this.
  3. Fiatman

Fiatman Timido

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks ViPr, for the response. Yes you are right, maintainance will be an issue as its old now. But as long as spares and good servicing facility is available i think i will manage it. Someone suggested me this site 99rpm.com for genuine Palio parts. Plz share if you have any experience with that site. You are correct as far as rusting in coastal region is concerned, but the way this car has been maintained by the owner is v impressive, so got interested. I would love to have Punto though, but as you said, I am low on budget as of now .
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Availability of spares should not be an issues as most spares are available on 99rpm website. What you should confirm is if they are good FASS or FNG's who would repair the Palio. No doubts that Palio is a fantastic car and has the Fiat genes. There are many TFIians who have bought the Palio and are enjoying their rides.

Where are you planning to buy the Palio from? if its an acquaintance then you should be able to get the service history and spares availability confirmation. If its from a private owner, then make sure that the service history is available. All the best mate.
    Fiatman likes this.
  5. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Bangalore has good support for Palio parts in open market and there are few independent mechanics who are specialized with Palio.
    Check from members in Goa. 99rpm can supply original parts anywhere.

Since you are in Goa, and the petrol pricing lower than most places, I would suggest look out for a well maintained Palio 1.6./ GTX. but they would be 10+years of age. Buy the GTX, if this is your second car. They are a real jewel and the cosmetic parts (headlights, taillights) are cheap and of good quality.

If the palio would be the only car in the family, I suggest look out for Palio Stile's. the 1.3 Mjd is very frugal. and the 1.6 sport petrol is fun. But the headlights, taillights are expensive to replace.

BTW. I have a Palio Stile 1.3 SDX, bought at 24k kms and now 55k kms. I have only done oil changes for every 6 k kms.
    Fiatman likes this.
  6. Fiatman

Fiatman Timido

Goa
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thank you buddy.. buying it from a private owner and he has all the service history. In fact its a very well maintained car. He has also promised me to introduce me to a person who specializes in servicing Palio it seems.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 22, 2015 ---
    Very informative reply Sujit. Thanks. Yes its STile 1.1 petrol, and m getting more and more positive about buying it now after going through the responses here :)
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  7. Mohammed Awais

Mohammed Awais Timido

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hello @Fiatman please share your experience of using Palio. I was looking to buy used fiat Punto, but it seems buying used Punto is going out of budget (4+ Lakhs in Hyd Fiat Punto Emotion 1.4). I visited Fiat service center and the guy at the service station suggested me to go for Fiat Palio 1.2. He also suggested me not opt for STile. How is your experience with Stile? Please let me know.
  8. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I would suggest the same that go for Palio instead of stile. Stile has legspace issue and less power.
    Mohammed Awais likes this.
  9. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry but Palio and Palio Stile have the same interior setup except changes made to the front seats and interior color changed to beige
    Stile has some specific parts (Ex: headlight / taillight / bumpers etc..) which are different and as Stile were sold in a very small number sourcing the parts might be difficult plus Stile 1.1 is just 58 hp compared to 72.5 horses.
    I would recommend you go in for a Palio 1.2, I own one since 2002 and it is my workhorse for my daily office commute.
  10. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Anup I think my comment was mis-interpreted. I wanted to say the same thing that go for Palio 1.2 instead of Stile. I have 1.2 and my cousin has stile. space and power issues can easily be figured out in Stile