1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying & Ownership Experience - FGP Active - Knight OB-1

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by kunwar.g, Aug 28, 2014.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Got the car serviced at 50100km for its 1st service. Instead of a top-up, which was not required as all fluids were on Max, got engine oil and oil filter changed. The guy addressing the car shared that its a good thing that i am getting it done.

Apart from this there were 2 issues. the error signal in the lights of the car had lit up a couple of times and best of all it did appear right when the advisor was taking the car inside the service area. Basis their diagnosis it was a loose connection on the rear numberplate light. I will have to go back again for the same as it has cropped up 2 times post the service already

Other issue is what i noticed is that the guys who fitted the rear parking sensor did not keep the wire inside the rear bumper, rather it was hanging loose outside, but being behind the bumper and underbody was not visible from rear. I happened to notice it while fitting an after market exhaust tip ordered from ebay. The same was fixed also

Post around 60km of the oil change the ride has become smoother and the turbo response has got back to normal ( had found it missing / much lighter in the last few days before the service ).

Meanwhile had added some glam to the car by getting the Star 3D mats. Before I could post an update on same there was someone asking for informaiton on same so here is all the information - 3D Floor Mats for Punto

Last weekend did a wash of the really really soiled mats, due to rain in NCR region. Washing was a breeze, just used a pipe to throw water over the mat. And that is all,, seriously, that is all. the water rolled out, so after washing the top side, just a wipe with MF cloth and it was back in the car. All in all just 15 mins, Absolutely no requirement to let it dry off like any other mat.. I am pleased with my investment on these

On the ICE front got the subwoofer box made and delivered to my home by Atrend. Had to be made to specificaiton as it requried a 0.62cuft box. The Subwoofer is JL Audio 10WXv2-4. I didnt want a large 12inch woofer and wanted only punchy bass and also use as less boto space as possible. So, when i got to get a hold of this one, just bought it.

Once the box was delivered at home, I installed the woofer speaker to it and plugged it to the bridged connection of the amp. Being a new speaker it was taking more power to get it moving. This was done on 31st Dec 2014. Spent good 1.5-2 hrs listening to the set-up and smiling back to myself. Have been enjoying it really. With the lower frequencies now routed to the sub the front components have become a little bright and the vocals are so much more clear on them.

Today after 5 days it has opened up and had to power down a bit on the really low notes evident in the hip-hop genre. Really enjoying my set-up now. Still needs a little bit of fine tuning as on some songs the sub really overpowers the whole set-up to my liking.

Last weekend did a complete wash with a new shampoo that i ordered - Gtechniq UV wash. primarily for its hydaraphobic properties. 2 days and it seems to have some hydaphobic properties, but the best thing about this shampoo is that its a breeze to reinse it off the car and does loosen and clean all the dust and debri of the paint neatly. There is also no after wash residual layer which if not wiped off on time leaves streak marks. If there is less dust on it till tomorrow morning, its paisa vasool.

Totally enjoying my ride and probably will take her on a long drive come Feb'15. Fingers crossed
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 6, 2015, Original Post Date: Jan 6, 2015 ---
    Here are some pics of the HU and the subwoofer along with the amp in the boot. All pics taken by mobile camera and resized , so not the best quality

IMG_201501062992.jpg

IMG_201501065328.jpg

IMG_2015010629465.jpg

IMG_2015010625944.jpg

IMG_2015010638797.jpg
  2. Abh1nav

Abh1nav Timido

New Delhi
    Hi Kunwar.g,

Is the HU you have installed, the Pioneer X6790BT? I'm looking at the same HU for my Punto, but can't seem to find it at some of the shops I have inquired with.

Can you tell me from where you got the HU installed? and the cost as well?

Nevermind, went through your previous post, and saw that its the 3790!
    kunwar.g likes this.
  3. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    2nd week of February did a Gurgaon – Udaipur trip. Left Gurgaon around 4:30pm after doing a tank full. Before start of trip my intension was to see how well the car would fare on Highway in terms of mileage, top speed, stability and control.

Did a trip reset at the fuel station near home and then set-out with a mindset to not exceed 80kmph speed. Maintained the speed throughout the journey till Jaipur. One observation while doing this stretch was that while maintaining the speed at 80kmph it was a comfortable ride was getting enough time to reduce speed in case saw traffic jam ahead which also resulted in less braking. At times the jam would just ease off by the time I was cruising at 50-60kmph towards it and then would just need to accelerate back to 80kmph. Less braking less acceleration. In city I was not getting mileage of over 16kmpl without AC on. This was the testing time. Between Gurgaon City and Jaipur highway got a mileage of 25.5 kmpl. With about 15km drive inside Jaipur city the average dropped to 24.5kmpl. But even that was enough to make me really really happy. Average speed on speedo was showing at 60kmph. Did just 1 stop for washroom break and reached Jaipur by 9:30pm. Checked into the hotel for the night, only cause wife didn’t want to be exhausted by being in car all the way to Udaipur or trying to find a hotel in the middle of nowhere.

The road condition was good, with only 4 diversions due to over bridge construction on NH8, but no traffic stops.

This was also the testing time of the bulb upgrade I did to 100/90 Phillips Rally bulbs along with the Hella wiring kit. Total cost was Rs 1360.00. I was happy with the end result. The brighter light really helped for night driving. The real benefit was when there was incoming traffic. Put on low beam and I could still see the road ahead of me, which was not possible even with the Philips Xtreme Vision. Also, it gave some respect in getting the trucks to give side by flashing high beam. Also, post time at speed of 80kmpl didn’t need to be at high beam. Low beam at 0 settings was just enough, with just occasional requirement of high beam. After stopping at Jaipur to check out hotel, did touch and see if the headlights were excessively hot, and they were not :)

More in the next posts
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 24, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 24, 2015 ---
    Some Pics

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG

DSC_0407-tile.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 24, 2015 ---
    Some pics of the speedo reading of the first leg of the trip and also of the single break that we took.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 25, 2015 ---
    Also a snapshot of what was done the next day

vlcsnap-2015-02-24-23h57m32s46.png
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Ruban, varoon9999, varunrtr and 2 others like this.
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    160 in JK tornado is suicide..nothing less... keep aside some budget for tyre upgrade instead of some mods if you havent !!
    BTW happened to see a pic of oceanic blue punto with full debadging including logo.. looked quite nice !!

IMG_20150225_111917.jpg
  5. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Been a while since i updated - On day 2 of the trip, left Jaipur early morning and was pleased to drive on the Ajmer 6 lane highway. It was simply amazing and after about 2 hours of drive found a long empty stretch with no vehicle visible on RVM and none ahead for atleast 1-1.5 km. Thought to test out the high speed. Handled the phone to wife to take a video while I paid complete attention to the road. My intent was only to touch upto 140kmph, but the needle kept on increasing as if challenging my guts. At 160kmph also it was ready to go more, but know that I was on stock tyre, without ABS and some vehicles now visible decided to let go of the pedal.

Post that the overall drive was amazing. Stay at Udaipur was not as amazing as we had expected. Maybe our expectations were really high. Stayed in Udaipur for 2 nights and then left for Chittorgarh early morning. After sightseeing the Fort did some shopping. Had lunch at Chittorgarh and headed back to Gurgaon. Was driving at constant speed 90-100 kmph and was totally enjoying the drive. Infact I was so pleased that I kept telling my wife that I am enjoying the drive so much, Thank god for that Saturday morning ad of Fiat.

Took two stops in between and reached home at about 1:30am. Mileage for the entire trip was at 22.8km/l. With a smile rested back at home knowing not what was to come in future.

@varunrtr - Thanks for your concern and i do agree that its not safe to do such speeds on OEM tyres. Not going to repeat the same till get new set

Interestingly I had shared the same pic of speedometer on FB and all Fiat owners shared concern and commented like drive safely, you dont have ABS etc showing clearly that all Fiatians have safety at the top of the list. And then comes a post from a MS owner and commented " Ooh I did 170 on my dezire " :) . You know what i meant
    pabhishek and prabhjot like this.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just 2 days after getting back from an uneventful trip, took the car for washing at the nearby car wash center. When reached there was already a car on the ramp and one waiting outside the gate. I parked my car too outside the gate. When my turn came and as was taking my car inside I banged the running board to something. I had seen that there was a manhole at the left corner when I had initially parked the car. It was covered not by a manhole cover rather with a circular concrete circular slab of about 10cm height and then another smaller circular slab of similar height over it. However, when it came to taking my car inside I completely missed it and more over it was not visible. With the sound of the bang my heart sank. Came out and saw the damage and was cursing myself. I felt really bad, frustrated and was also cursing the guys who used this method to cover a manhole, though at a corner still it was on the road.

Post coming back home noticed that the front right headlight had some water drops inside the headlight. After inspection found that the rubber cover that is at the rear of the headlight was missing. Might have got loose due to fixing the wiring kit for 100/90 bulbs. Not knowing what to do I switched on the headlight to see if the water can get evaporated. It did however there were water marks on the inside of the headlight. Any inputs on how to clean it DIY would be helpful.

Well with a heavy heart still got the car washed, but could get the wash get completed. Left the place without even getting car dried. Sat over it for 2 days and after some consultation took it to DRS Fiat and they made an estimate of Rs 3500 as the damage was on 2 panels. And would have to leave the vehicle for 2 days. Told the advisor to get a new rubber cover of the headlight. He said that it doesn’t come as a spare but comes only as part of the headlight set , but said will see if something can be done. I also advised him to try and put the car on lift and see if the rubber cap is stuck above the engine guard as I couldn’t find space big enough for it to fall off the car.

The other thing I wanted to get is the Sun visor on passenger side with mirror as the Active model has sun visor without the mirror. Better half was displeased with mirror not being there. Wonder how much Fiat saved by skipping the mirror.

Below are pics of the damage to the car. All taken with mobile phone so of low quality

DSC_0460.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

DSC_0462.JPG

DSC_0463.JPG
    varoon9999 and prabhjot like this.
  7. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    That's very sad @kunwar.g . Hard luck! These running boards damages are quite frequent in cars due to uneven Slabs placed or For the reason quoted by you.
    Hope fass matches it to perfection!
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well the correction of the running board was done fine and color has been matched 100%. Only thing missing is the inverted triangle sign pressed into the metal to show the place to align the Jack is missing now. Noticed it after coming back home. Doubt that it can be replicated by the FASS, but will enquire during next trip to DRS FASS.
    While picking the car did a few changes :)
    Installed Hella Dual Tone Trumpet horn with couplers. These are plug and play to Fiat wiring. Fiat did good by providing wiring for 2 horns. Upon opening the Bumper found the 2nd coupler. It had a black plug probably to keep it locked and save from water or any external particle. Sharing pics.
    Got left sun visor installed which has vanity mirror on it. This is the one from Emotion variant . Cost was 481.00. got 5% discount as per campaign at DRS.
    In addition the big change was that a night before I told my friend ( owner of Silver GP Dynamic Sep'14 ) about my plan and we have many time shared to swap our grills. We knew black grill will look nice on his silver, and were expecting the grey grills to look nice to my Oceanic Blue GP. Well he agreed to come along and we got the bumpers opened for both cars to swap the grills. Installed the horn after the Bumpers were opened :). The labour charge to open both bumpers and do the Grill swap was Rs 250.00. Do let me know what you think of the looks with the new grills.

DSC_0481.JPG

DSC_0483.JPG

DSC_0487.JPG

DSC_0488.JPG

DSC_0489.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

DSC_0495.JPG

DSC_0496.JPG

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0502.JPG
    varoon9999, pabhishek and prabhjot like this.
  9. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    That's some intelligent swapping there :) @kunwar.g
    Good to know that color was well matched.
    And why didn't you opted for sun visor with light as in linea's?
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3

The Advisor mentioned that the wiring for the light on those visors cannot be connected im Active Variant. He did mention about it being for around 900
    pabhishek likes this.