1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying & Ownership Experience - FGP Active - Knight OB-1

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by kunwar.g, Aug 28, 2014.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    AGAIN, don't see anything odd at all. Not that i've ever looked at the idling rpm on our Punto. Why do you ask? Other than for reasons of paranoia. ;-)
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well the reason that i asked was cause i am under the understanding the rpm at idle should be at 1000 rpm. And yes you are right there is slight paranoia. First diesel car in family. Also, I have fitted a chrome round exhaust tip and today observed black residue on it, thought maybe the ideling is not correct.
    vtlreja2 likes this.
  3. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g , the idle is normal for every GP, dont worry about that, congrats on your purchase,
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes idle RPM is normal, it is around 850 to 900.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Residue could be because of the exhaust tip interfering with the free outlet of gases. It is soot which will build over time again after cleaning. Hope its not too intrusive for performance. Don't worry too much for now. Ask the FASC if that exhaust tip is OK.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks all. but today i am really pissed, some A****le banged the door of his/her car to mine while it was parked at a shopping mall :mad:. There is a small dent and the white paint has rubbed on mine, the left rear door......He/She just got a life since i was not there :banghead:. It was after dark so not sure about the other scrathes. Just praying that they are paint from his/her car and not cause my car's paint has come off.. grrrrrr
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Missed to share this as I did this about a month back on 30th Aug 2014. Having a Monday off, had got extended weekend, so thought it to be the best time to detail my new car and make it even better. There were a lot of swirls on the car due the cleaning done by the dealer with rags and dirty water. There was just 2 light scratches on the left front door if looked closely. So on Day 1 cleaned the car using hose and 2 bucket method. Dried the car and was able to borrow shaded parking for 3 days to work on car. I worked only at night post 10 pm to escape the staring glances of everyone, though i have already been termed a freak as I am the only one to clean my car in my Society Apartments.

Day 1 night - I always wanted to take off the emblems at the rear, it seems disproportionate to me and also a task while cleaning the car. So, equipped with a hair dryer and dental floss got ready to do it. First worked on the "Active" emblem. Using the hair dryer for about 15-20 seconds took about 20 cm of floss and stared from the top corner of letter "e" and started taking off the emblem. One thing to note is to keep the floss closer to the layer of adhesive towards the emblem side rather than the layer towards to paint side, so slight pressure in keeping the floss towards yourself. In about 1 min entire "Active" was done, giving me complete confidence in taking out the "Punto" emblem. Post taking out the "Active: emblem, took out as much of the adhesive possible with finger nails. The plastic piece used by the shops that fix vinyl stickers can also do, but i rather prefer finger nails. Below 1st pic shows the left over residue.

DSC_1081.JPG

Moved on the "Punto" emblem post this. After taking out the emblem noticed that the material used for this was double tape and not some adhesive. Removing double tape is easier, just get good hold of one end and then roll it over the remaining portion as much possible. Notice the roll of the "T"

DSC_1085.JPG

I learned this right when i was removing the "T". Below shows how clean the "T" was removed in comparison to the "O"

DSC_1086.JPG

Post removing all residue, sprayed WD40 and immediately touched up with piece of cloth so that it doesn't roll down. Left it for 1 min approx then started removing with the cotton cloth and light pressure. Here is how clean it came out to be

DSC_1087.JPG

Once this was done next attack as on the ad of dealer. Hate it cause when i paid money for it why should i advertise for the dealer free of cost and that too without my permission. Had it forcefully removed on my previous car by the dealer in the 1st service. This time wanted to do it myself

DSC_1088.JPG

Now cleaning the car boot door is easier . In the below pic the Chrome tip put on the exhaust end is also visible

DSC_1177.JPG

Next post will be on the paint correction steps taken. Before that if anyone has any question feel free to ask.

Note : I used only around 1 meter of the dental floss. Though its cheap at Rs 45.00, if anyone wants it you can take it from me FOC.
    Ruban, varoon9999 and Ravi like this.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Do you have plan to put those emblems somewhere, or will you keep the car without those?
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For now its been a month and am without them, but plan to put only the "Punto" right at the center below the boot keyhole. Reason for doing that is if looking at it this way some may think its accidental car and the boot door has been fixed without the emblems.. :banhappy:

But am open to suggestion
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yup sold it for 80K 2 weeks back. It did 66K km in 6.5 years

1. Handling - Better handling, though Indica was not bad, its only after driving Punto for over 3 weeks when took out Indica felt the steering of Indica to be lighter than Punto's

2. Visibility - Glad you asked. Front and rear visibility of Indica was much. Specially the A pillar and the rear windscreen reduce some visibility

3. Weight Feeling - Punto is slightly better built than Indica, due to power steering and Indica steering being lighter Punto does feel a bit heavy in city driving. But only when i am comparing with Indica, else i am happy the way it is

4. NVH - overall without engine - Indica had a lot of road and wheel noice coming into the cabin. Apart from that also surrounding noise was more in Indica

5. Engine Noise only - My Indica was a petrol and my Punto is diesel, so will not compare here

6. Smoothness of engine at 90-110kms/hr - Ooh my my, not valid question. Punto is effortless at 90-110 and give ample confidence to go more. Indica was okay at 100, but you can feel that you are driving real fast and need to be cautious. Indica was stable but the light steering didnt give as much confidence as much I get in my Punto.

7. Mileage - Petrol vs Diesel so wouldnt compare and I havnt even had my first service of Punto to need to wait and watch

8. Traffic busting - Zigzag driving - Punto is equally good, but Indica was better cause of just a little lighter steering, but not like the i series

9. Highway performance - I used to be really happy with Indica highway driving as it was stable and planted, but now that i am spoilt by the punto's highway performance, how am i going to drive any other car. My father who has an Alto always praised the space, engine response and highway performance of my Indica. Wait till he drives the Punto. I will be smilling to glory sitting on the passenget seat :). ( Father stays in different city so has not got a chance to drive the Punto )
    fiatcrazy likes this.