1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying & Ownership Experience - FGP Active - Knight OB-1

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by kunwar.g, Aug 28, 2014.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After checking into the hotel I was on phone for almost continious 2-3 hours working out various permutation combination on what could be done. Some possibilities

1. Source parts from TATA if they use same oil strainer in their quadrajet. Phone number of a person working in TATA workshop at Haldwani ( 200km ) was given by @Prashant Teki. Called him, however he asked to call back in morning as they were closed on Sunday. Dead end. He couldnt even confirm if the same part is used and if its available or not

2. Source parts from Maruti Swift ( Pitthoragarh -55km ) , but they only have showroom there and no service center

3. In between @Prashant Teki logged a case on behalf of his ealier Manza and Tata CS guy called and tried to find ways on how they could help, really appreciate the TATA CS as he kept calling me even till next day evening to see if I needed any help that they could possibly do.

4. Tow the car to Dehradun. But had doubt if the toe truck could make it safely to this place.

5. Called up Dad and explained the situation. He immediately asked me to send the details of parts required and he will get it procured and send it by a cab tonight, however had to make him understand that this is a FIAT and parts are not available at Kashmeri Gate. So, it was decided that the parts will be picked from Gurgaon FASS the next day morning

Then dropped an SMS to the DRS GM Mr. Sohan Rawat to call back and that I was in need of his help, knowing that he doesnt pick his office phone post 6pm. Got a call back in 30 mins and after listening to the situation he agreed to hand over whatever parts are required depending on availability.

Thanks for 99rpm that I was able to get details of the part # and cost of the same. Sent all of them to Dad and then with nothing to do had dinner and tried to sleep, which was not easy to come by. My concern was not the car , but really how long will I have to stay back at this place along with family.

The only breather was my 4.5 year old son, who was enjoying and making me smile and laugh by his antiques.

28th Dec - After just a few hours of sleep woke up at about 5:30am and it was extremely foggy outside. With nothing to do at this time, made a list of parts and part # required to have it ready while talking at DRS store. At around 6:30am got up to go and have a look at car and its condition while it had been on hill side the entire night. The upclimb was tiring, however reached and the helpers at the mechanic’s place were awake. Informed them that the parts will be coming from Delhi. Checked with them if they have ever done this kind of work and there was the shocker “NO”.

Went back and waited till 8:30am to call the DRS store guy, who knew of the situation and asked him to keep all parts ready. When he reached the store at 9am he called me to confirm the list of part and informed that the oil strainer is not in stock. Asked him to check if its available anywhere in NCR. Got a call back after about 10 mins and Parvesh ( head technician ) was on the line informing that the oil strainer has stopped coming separately of Rs 2K . Rather it now comes attached with the Oil Pump which is attached to the Time chain cover ( Rs 6200 for the part and Rs 1200 for the cover gasket) . Cunning FIAT . He also said that its not an easy fix and if someone who doesn’t know about how to work on this engine will surely screw things up, as it involves locking the timing chain and special tools. I requested if he can come in the cab along with the parts to work on the car. Promising to take care of all expenses. He was hesitant to say yes ( which I can understand ) however said to check with GM if he allows him to go.

Immediately called Mr. Rawat and after updating him with information asked him to send Parvesh along with parts.

That’s when I got to know that Parvesh had just returned from Pune and had come 3rd all over India Fiat in the best technician exam/competition. Mr. Rawat didn’t make any commitment, but did say he will send someone. I insisted on Parvesh. Interesting point is also that Parvesh is the technician who took care of the 1st service of 5K on my car.
    After about 45 mins got confirmation from Mr. Rawat that he will send Parvesh. Those 45 mins were one of the worst wait-time of my life.

The car reached DRS at about 11am and by 11:30 all parts were loaded and Parvesh and the driver headed to come towards me. After the confirmation call I took a sigh of relief, but not completely.
    Parts that Parvesh was bringing with him
    1. Oil Pump set
    2. Oil Pump Gasket
    3. 3.5 LTR ending oil
    4. Oil Filter
    5. Oil Sump
    6. Oil Sump sealant
    7. All tools required to do the job
    Now that we had nothing to do and just wait out till they arrive, thought of lightening up a bit so took wife and son for a little trek. The room has a good view of the RamGanga river and we could hear the sound of water flow distinct and clear. It was probably this sound that I was able to get some sleep last night.

Did keep checking on the progress of the cab at intervals. They had crossed Haldwani after sunset and I advised them not to drive at night on hills and after repeated calls they agreed to do so. Took at hotel at Bhowali for the night.
    Had a better sleep at night

29th Dec – They left from Bhowali at about 8am and eventually reached the hotel at Thal at exact 3pm. Took them to their room which I have booked for them. Had a good lunch. Parvesh and the driver kept saying that this is quite far. I agree. Parvesh gave a lot of confidence to me, saying now that he has come , not to worry. Now we will take the car to Delhi by driver and not Towing. All this while I was also worried if the local Mechanic will let him work on the car ( potential threat to his income ). Parked th cab at hotel and headed towards the car with parts. Parvesh immediately started inspecting the damage and was shocked at the extent of the damage, but was also surprised that the oil sump didn’t tear. At same time proudly showed that this is how strong a FIAT is built :) .

Work started at around 4:15pm and Parvesh’s aim was to do as much as possible before sunset. I had an LED torch and 1 LED headlamp torch with me to assist. Parvesh was happy to see the Headlamp torch. Eventually it took till 9:00pm to complete the work, filled the engine with new oil. The oil filter couldn’t be changed due to lack of the correct size tool. Even the local mechanic didn’t have it. Must say, If the local mechanic had worked on this, it would have been a Disaster.

The engine started at first crank with the new engine oil and parts. Hurray

Wrapped up everything here. Paid 500.00 to the local mechanic to have done the initial work of opening and assessment and also taking care of the car for 2.5 days. Headed back to hotel to freshen up and have a good dinner.
    The owner of the hotel had prepared a special meat at the Restaurant and he hosted the dinner for us himself. Can’t mention which meat here in the open. Not against sentiments or religion, but it was illegal :) .

The much wanted sleep came quick tonight.

30th Dec – Woke up at about 6am, but since it was foggy had to wait out. Eventually had to wait and then had breakfast and after clearing the bills headed back home.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    Some pics of the work.

Thats Parvesh , working on my car at hill side

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG
    That the broken Oil Strainer that made it such a big task

IMG-20151227-WA0007.jpg
    And here is a better pic of my man Parvesh on way back . We took a stopover ( 6km extra ) at Chaukori and this pics is from there. The other guy is me.

DSC_5887.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @kunwar.g

Damn! Chastening but learning albeit 'stressful' experience though, in retrospect?! Hope the financial hit was not extreme. Cheers man.

Cheers also to DRS, Rawat and the techie. "Lage raho, bhaiyon!" Sadly, no?, that DRS does not have the reatil-dealership rights to Gurgaon etc. As yet? maybe in the future? Desperately hope they did not lead you on the 'oil strainer' is not a seperate part anymore bit!

Cheers for the Fiat solidity, too.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g
    That was horrible, good to see that you finally fixed the car at no service centre land(thanks to drs), though we seee advs of competitors(having same heart) of having service network on mountains.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @kunwar.g, the description is really graphic, though it is brief! While reading it, I went through all those emotions. Thanx for sharing it. It showed that we have so many good people around us. And congratulations!
    How much was the burden finally?
    kunwar.g likes this.
  5. Rama

Rama Amatore

Delhi
    Delhi
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Cheers to DRS !!
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well, I doubt that they lead me on this, cause the store guy just said that the particular part is not available. It was later that he called back with Parvez ( apologies for have spelled his name in correctly across the posts ), to explain the reason. Even if they did I dont mind considering how much they went out of the way to help me out and my family in this situation. Wondering how to share this incident to all those who say Fiat Service is pathetic. Though here it was not really Fiat but Mr. Rawat and Mr. Parvez who did this on their own and not due to any compulsion from Fiat

All thanks to DRS

Well took the car to DRS on 2nd Jan and reported the incident to Royal Sundaram. The surveyor came in by 3pm and took pics of all damages and parts. After hearing the entire incident he asked me to write a report of the incident and asking RS to approve the cost of the parts that were changed at Thal as without it the car couldn't have been brought back to city. Even he mentioned that the since the Oil Strainer is in the parts list most likely only that will be approved and not the time chain cover, oil pump and gasket. Wrote the letter and after that kept following up with Surveyor on approval status. Finally after giving up called the claims dept of RS at Gurgaon on 8th Jan and spoke to the officer who approves the claims. He took car number and said will call back in 30 mins.

Call back he did and in 30 mins precise. He called in and said that he approved everything, but he did mention he approved everything , oil strainer , oil sump and all. Cause he used the term Strainer I am guessing the surveyor only put cost of strainer and not time chain cover, oil pump and gasket. Then started the process of waiting for parts to come as DRS didnt have all the parts.

Got a call form DRS on 16th confirming arrival of all parts. Lets see how much the wallet gets lighter by in the coming weekend.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    @kunwar.g
    Sad to hear(read) about the ordeal you had to go through (specially at such a location). Kudos to Mr. Rawat, Mr. Praveez and every other person; who did their best to help you. Special mention for your consistent efforts

Having read this, just a month before my big road trip planned ; has shaken my faith to drive.
    Hope that was rarest of the case you had to witness.
  8. anupam sharma

anupam sharma Timido

Gurgaon
    Really unfortunate incident @kunwar.g .. good that everyone is safe.
    Kudos to DRS.. i take my punto to DRS and vouch for their sincerity and service.
    kind of help they provided instills confidence in Fiat Buyers, other service centers should learn from them.
  9. metal_heart

metal_heart Amatore

Noida
    Linea 1.3

If you look back, would it have been better (if feasible); you could have bought 4-5 lts of oil and driven back; Topping and checking oil level after every hr or so. Not sure, if that's technically advised
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Where are you planning to go. If on same route, just be extra attentive. Road conditions is good. If planning to go to Munsiyari, woudl advice to be very careful while going from Chaukori to Munsiyari as there are some really sharp turns and a long car like Linea needs to be driven carefully.

Nice.You too in Gurgaon. We should meet up sometime. PM me your number if you are interested to attend some of the mini meets that keep on happening. :)

Cant say. Getting the right oil grade would have been a challenge as I didnt find oil even close to the oil grade that we use, hence got the 3.5 ltr from DRS along wtih parts. It was not just oil lekage which was the problem. The oil pressure was not consistent and that is why was getting the oil check light. If due to more driving had the oil strainer disloged, it would have lead to engine seizure. The only reason I took the risk is cause the light was going on and off, showing the pressure was not continous but still it was not completely gone.