1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying & Ownership Experience - FGP Active - Knight OB-1

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by kunwar.g, Aug 28, 2014.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wishing all a very happy new year 2016. During last week for Dec planned for a family trip to cover approx. 1400km . Destination was Munsiyari, Uttarakhand , knows as the Last Frontier also. Due to hectic office work was not able to really plan well for the trip. Now when I look back think all was jinxed from start.

23th Night had an office meet at Marriott, however since had plans of leaving for trip the next day, couldn’t enjoy to the fullest ( just 2-3 drinks J). While the valet brought the car back to us from parking, noticed that the driver door was not opening from outside. Opened the window and then noticed that the door lever was completely pulled outwards and stuck out by approx. 2 inches, keeping the door locked always. This was screwing the central and auto lock for other doors too. Immediately brought it to the security guy’s attention and was assured that it will be taken care in the morning. Took the contact of head of security and left.

Since, we were going to the hills and with a kid, planned to leave the subwoofer box at home to have more space in boot. After coming back from party rested and later went to open the wiring and bam the screwdriver somehow managed to come in contact with the power screw and the body of the amp at same time. Sparks.. Found that the wiring fuse of 80A near the battery got burned. What a night.

24th morning work up early and went to DRS to get the door lock lever fixed. Took about 30 mins to fix it and was attended to immediately. I was not getting charged for this work, however since Marriott was going to pay for it, I asked them to charge me J. They gladly obliged and it was 300/-. Got cash refund from Marriot on the way back. Headed to an Audio store and they had only the 60A fuse. Picked it up for 50.00 and all was well again.
    gpunto75 and prabhjot like this.
  2. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey @kunwar.g
    Hope u doing well..
    Did your left pulling issue solved or not, ?
    I recently upgraded my Tyres, and got the rid of the issue,
    Was solved in second attempt,
    The play should be removed while getting your car on alignment by starting the engine , complete turn to right then left,

I know fass also does like that , but they let engine off at that time,
    Just give this a try, hope this help
    Did 250 kms post upgrading and no pulling
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vtlreja2 The left pulling issue is resolved i would say up to 98%. Its quite difficult to acertain as dont find straight roads. During the trip I didnt find that too be an issue on highways, so think its fine for now. FASS does do the complete left and right and it is done with engine on else with engine off the power steering will not function.
    vtlreja2 likes this.
  4. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    24th Afternoon – Top-up done of battery water as it was low, air pressure checked and found front left to be at 20psi, Air filter taken out and cleaned with air blower. Luggage kept in boot and it was completely filled. Fuel filled till auto cut off. Rested for rest of day.

Left home at 9:30pm and met our first traffic jam as we entered Delhi. Changed route and took NH8 .Later met traffic jam at Hapur toll plaza. About 1 hour wasted between these two jams. Fortunately didn’t have any fog all along the route. Stopped for tea and snacks at about 12:30am, good that we did as son was really hungry and gobbled an entire plate of Chowmein. Was nice to see him eat on his own, since he was really hungry. Reached Haldwani while it was dark and took detour to Bhowali via Bheemtal road. Stopped at Kaichi Dham Temple at 6:15am to take a break. I took a 30 min power nap, much needed. Wife had cooked for breakfast. Ate that with a plate of pakora and tea from a shop there. Started fresh at about 7:10am with aim to reach Chaukori. Took the route Almora – Berinag – Chaukori. The route after Almora gets narrow with many turns ( typical of hills ). Stopped at a good location after crossing Almora for about 30 mins to stretch out.

DSC_5177.jpg

DSC_5178.jpg

DSC_5179.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 6, 2016 ---
    Reached Chaukori and directly entered KMVN Rest House at 1:30PM. Total 527km covered from home . Breathtaking view. Room had a big glass window for a complete view of the mountain range. Good open area to sit around and for kids to play. Immediately ordered for lunch which was nice and plain. Freshened up and took time to relax in the warmth of the sun light. As darkness took over the temp dipped quite suddenly forcing us to get inside the room, in the comfort of quilt and room heater. Dinner was consumed at 8pm and slept to wake up early to leave for Munsiyari where we had booking for 3 nights J.

DSC_5198.jpg

DSC_5204.jpg

DSC_5205.jpg

DSC_5219.jpg

DSC_5269.jpg
    gpunto75, varunrtr, Vishnu_R and 2 others like this.
  5. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    26th Dec – Work up at morning after a good relaxing sleep, thanks to the room heater. Breakfast was a buffet of Omlette, Puri Sabzi, Tea, Bread toast, Parathas. After breakfast sat under the sun to warm-up. Checked out at 11:30 to head to Munsiyari. The road condition was overall decent but really narrow and not really up for the weak hearted at some places. Stopped at just a few placed for pics. The climb was really steep at many places and hence the avg speed was about 20km/hr. Some pics below.

DSC_5310.jpg

DSC_5324.jpg

DSC_5325.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 8, 2016 ---
    Reached Kalamuni Pass/Top and the view was much closer to the Panchchuli peak

DSC_5447.jpg

DSC_5453.jpg
    Reached Munsiyari around 5PM. It was Vijay Mount View Resort. Upon checking in the view was nice, but immediately felt that Chaukori’s view was better and so was the KMVN rest house. Due to a transformer blow-out there was no electricity supply and the back-up was only for the TV and lights, no water geyser and room heater which was promised while booking the room for Rs 3000.00 per night with Breakfast and Dinner. Disappointed with the lack of it. Room was newly built and hence the wood work was not really complete. Varnish and Bidding work to hide the nails was pending. Felt a little cheated, but so is that case when you do advance booking. I rarely go for advance booking ( almost never ). This was the 2nd instance when had done it and in both cases felt overcharged. Food was just decent, nothing special. View from room was good. Had a relaxing time, sipping tea and watching the sunset with family. Had dinner and slept to wake up to see the sunrise. Sunrise was nothing to talk about, but still took some pictures

DSC_5520.jpg

DSC_5523.jpg

DSC_5527.jpg
    27th Dec – Decided to leave the hotel and head to Chaukori due to it having better view, better hotel and service. Had a tough time negotiating with the hotel incharge that we would not like to stay due to lack of services. Long story in short, finally paid for the extra orders and left at about 10am, without paying any cancellation charges. Beautiful Sunny morning and excited to reach and stay for 2 days at Chaukori, completely unaware of what was in store. Had a stop after about 5 km from start point at a good location to take some pics. Barely had crossed about 10km. After a turn the road was slightly broken due to an early landslide it seemed. Road was wavy. And after a steep climp the road went downwards , unable to have a complete view of the road, there was a rock just at the point where the road went downward. BANG BOOM BANG

Loud noise of something big hitting the underbelly of the car and at more than 1 place. As I type this am getting goosebumps. Stopped car with a fast pulsating heart to see the damage, keep engine still on. Engine guard badly bent along with a big dent on the engine sump. Seemed bad, but there was no oil leakage. Sat back inside, trembling. There was no error light on dash so started driving. After about 500 meter the engine oil light came on. DAMN . Again stopped to observe and still not oil. Drove again and the engine oil light was coming on and off. After about 1-2 km stopped again to observe and did notice some oil. Heart sank. Still started driving and the engine oil light was going on and off. Placed a call at DRS motors to the service advisor and explained the situation. They were clueless as to why the light is coming on and off. Advised to check at the closest mechanic to have a first assessment. The closest small place with a Fuel Pump was about 50km away at Thal. On the 2nd call spoke to the mechanic and he said if the car hasn’t stopped running and the oil is not pouring out then could that the seal of the sump has only broken, but nothing can be said for sure without a physical inspection. Praying kept driving to reach Thal, but not rushing. Stopped atleast twice more and the oil leakage seemed to have increased by not drastically giving me some relief that probable its just the seal that has broken due to the impact. Also, made call to Fiat only to confirm that the closest service center was Dehradun in same state and Bareilly in UP. Both over 200km away

Reached Thal and stopped car at the first and the only car mechanic in that area. They attended to the car in about 10 mins. No proper garage, just a store and all cars were attended to at the road side. Upon first inspection he confirmed that the sump has no tear, but it has shifted from its place due to impact and hence the seal is broken which can be fixed. I was relieved, but then came the ordeal of opening the sump and had to patch him up with the DRS mechanic to understand how to do it for this car. As they already were working on 2 cars it took a while before they started work on it. Later after about 2 hours they opened the Sump and then came the disaster. The oil strainer attached to the oil pump and made of aluminum had broken off and fell as the sump was removed.

While opening the sump the mechanic mentioned that it mush have been a big rock as it seems to have damaged the silencer pipe and fuel tank too. Immediately I went closed to the side of the car and started observing. It was a BIG hit. The silncer pipe had got damaged, the fuel tank had bent inwards at rear right side and the rear axle also had a bent.

Time was already 5:30pm by now. Tried to find out the nearest Service Center and also called a few Fiatian friends. All tried to see the best that could be done. For good over 1 hr was on phone call with various people and mechanic and all confirmed that the only way is to Tow the car. Fiat RSA patched me up with a crane service of Dehradun was gave a estimate of 17K-20k to tow the car to Dehradun.

It was getting dark and quick had to think of something. The garage owner said to leave car there and take family to a nearby hotel named RituRaj Hotel. He took me on his motorcycle and after looking at the room which was good for family stay, with a restaurant for food. He later helped me get lugguage on to another car and reach the hotel with family to checkin. Before that it took about 6 guys to push the car and place it at the edge of the road so that there is no mishap during the night. They were exhausted pushing this tank like car and did mention the same.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Ruban, prabhjot and varunrtr like this.
  6. rohitsharma

rohitsharma Amatore

ahmedabad
    ahmedabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    ohhh...your pics were so good ..trip was going so smooth ...anyways hope things get better without causing any further problems...best wishes
  7. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @kunwar.g,

your car tyres look hot, could you tell me what is the size and how do you source it with the cost.

my tyres have to be replaced in next 3 months or so.
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its Yokohama S-Drive ( India Made ) 195/60 R15. Cost is Rs 4900 per tyre before exchange discount. Its a single directional tyre, so if you have left pulling issue which gets resolved by switching left to right tyres then dont go for these. Apart from that its good
    bibin likes this.
  9. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @kunwar.g,
    thanks for the swift response, you have r15 steel rims it seems, how much you paid and from where you got it?
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Got it from DRS Motors ( FASS ) for Rs 900.00 each + wheel caps for Rs 350.0 each. You can check exact pricing at 99rpm.com
    bibin likes this.