1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying & Ownership Experience - FGP Active - Knight OB-1

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by kunwar.g, Aug 28, 2014.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Please put cost of these as well. Would be helpful
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    The pedals are from Aliexpress - Around Rs 600 - 700.

The leather work in total was for Rs 12K. Its Art Leather, but soft and the perforation is through the fabric and not just punches which are not true perforation
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    THats one hell of a neat job.. Is that faux leather+ leather in body touching areas combo? Black looks classy !!
    now go for momo gear knob +Hand brake lever too ;)
    kunwar.g likes this.
  4. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Did drilling holes go easy on all pedals, did the curvature of these pedals match with OE pedals after the rubber is removed.
    Had a thought of such pedals,but backed out thinking they would be slippery in emergency situation (mostly while breaking).
    How is your experience with metal pedals.
  5. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Its all faux leather. The shop calls its Merc Leather :). The contact areas, headrest, arm rest, door pads and steering have perforated version of the same faux leather. Will probably go for Momo gear knob. But unable to decide. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Not easy at all . Total took 45 odd mins. The first drill on the brake and clutch pedal was tough due to the curvature. Had to improvise a bit to keep the drill at 1 point. Another challenge was that on the brake pedal the welding of the pedal is not in the middle but towards the right side, leave very less space to finalize that spot. Thankfully the drill went in sweetly with little force and didn't damage the welding. Once that was done, I installed the pedal and tightened the screw and nut. The 2nd hole on the top left was easy as the drill didn't have much place to move around after that.

2nd challenge which i still need to solve is that the accelerator pedal has the holes in the middle and the thickness is more in the middle as the accelerator pedal has the long arm in the middle. Now I have to get a longer screw to go through it.

Regarding slippery , still have to test it with wet shoes. But with dry formal shoes ( flat sole ) the slipperiness was a much as stock pedal , maybe slightly more slippery, but not to the point of it actually being slippery. On other shoes ( sneakers / sports / casual ) where the sole has groves, the edges of the spikes on the pedal lock into them and there is absolutely no change of being slippery. Doubt it would be any different with wet shoes ( sneakers / sports / casual ).
    Maddy79 and varunrtr like this.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Knight OB-1 has just a few hundred more kms to cover to reach the 20K mark. Meanwhile last weekend made a trip to Binsar. A long drive trip after a long time. Last visit to Binsar was in June 2009

Did the basic check before start. Top-up done for coolant. Coolant bottle shifted from home to car. Bulbs changed to Philips Rally 90/100 from Philips Essential Vision 90/100.

Started from Gurgaon at 1am and did non-stop drive till 7:48am. The route from Gurgaon to Rampur as nice and was doing constant 85-100km /hr. Route from Rampur to the railway crossing before of Rudrapur city was a nightmare. Not more than 1-1.5 meter of proper road, rest all potholes and none less than half a foot deep and about 2-3 ft in dia, add to that the early morning fog. The 40 odd km too me close to 2 hours. Took the stop at 7:48am post crossing Haldwani.

Car had performed really well. The Nano Energizer was still active and leading to smooth drive. After the 45 mins halt and a 15 min power nap, started again for Binsar. About 130 odd kms. It was amazing to drive on the hills. The S-Drive tyres gave a lot confidence with good grip, braking and amazing cornering ability. Was doing turns as blind turns at almost 50km/hr on hills. Maybe some can do faster, but for me this was the safest I could do. Reached Binsar at 11:30am and checked into Dinapani KMVN Resthouse. That's about 43km per hour as avg speed. Not bad IMO for 100% hill drive. Kumaon range hill roads are not as wide as the ones to Shimla so have to be careful.

Enroute due to misjudgement the car jumped over a ditch and banged to the ground. There was a loud sound, but I kept going, after about 10 mins of drive stopped to check and put my mind to rest. No damage, but seems the screw that holds the bumper took the hit as it seems to be bent a bit. This is the one that is on the driver side of the bumper. Seeming no other damage continued with the drive.

Had stayed in Dinapani KMVN rest house in 2009 when it was new. Now its desperately needs restoration. The officials there said that the restoration work is going on at the forest rest house and will start here somewhere in Feb2016. Saw about 6 rooms and checked into the best of the lot. Charges were Rs 1800 per day including breakfast and dinner for 2 adults and 1 4years kid.

The day we reached the sky was clear and had a clear view of the Himalayan range. But the next two days were cloudy and hence there was no view of the Himalayan range, but we enjoyed the stay due to the nice climate and time away from any homely responsibilities

On Day 2 we left the rest house and headed back towards Gurgaon with a planned detour to Nainital. Wanted son to experience some boating and would be nice place to halt for lunch. Left at about 9:30am. Did as per plan and then left Nainital at 3pm. Fearing the roller coaster ride awaiting us post Rudrapur. There was no escaping. This time there was huge traffic and the same stretch of 40km took us 2 hours. Did a pit stop for tea after Rampur and then headed straight non-stop for Gurgaon. Reached home at about 11pm.

All in all amazing trip and Knight OB-1 performed really well. The love story continues :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 22, 2015 ---
    Missed an imp point - Mileage achieved from Gurgaon to Dinapani was 19.9 km/ltr for 420 km, off which 40 km was the roller coater ride and about 140 was hill drive.

Achieved 19.1km/hr while returning as after Rampur was doing almost constant 100-110 km /hr
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 22, 2015, Original Post Date: Oct 22, 2015 ---
    Some pics to showcase

Ravi_M, pabhishek, varunrtr and 2 others like this.
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    So, OB-1 completed 20K km on 19th Nov 2015 and it has been a great ride with it. Always pleased with its performance, apart from the battery. The 50DIN battery seems to be getting weaker. A day after it completed 20K km while I was waiting in parking with car switched off and the Music playing for about 15 mins, it refused to crank up. Called Fiat RSA and got help within 40 mins. Since then do issue other than yesterday, but a 2nd try with fan and music system switched off, it did crank up. Think the Amp and the 90/100W bulb are taking its toll on the already weak battery. Next will change and get the 55DIN or 60DIN depending on availability and cost.

Met with a small accident on a diversion where a Punto behind me taking a left ( me taking a right ) banged into my rear bumper. I was already late by an hour for office and judging the traffic condition I didnt step out to check. But give the driver a piece of my mind. Below are some pics of the damage, Will be taking insurance coverage to get it painted. In addition had a dent on the lower part of the rear left door by presumably the bull bar of some car ( that's what it seems as the door has caved in a way giving that impression, and there is no scratch implying anything else ). Have clubbed both and got approval from the insurance. Thanks to Zero dep have to pay 1K + 25% of the tax amount of the total cost. ( total approved cost is 7K . 12.5% tax .25% of that equals Rs 219 ). Denting and Painting work to be done this Friday. Shall take delivery of car on same day and go back some other day for rubbing part.

Another update is that ever since my front struts were replaced at 15K have had the left pulling issue. Though it was fixed by FASS, it had increased slightly, so took to car to Star wheels in Gurgaon for alignment. After multiple tries and lots of effort the issue could not be resolved, though the reading were good. They said it’s surely is a suspension issue and I should take car to FASS. Went to FASS for this and the above mentioned denting painting on Saturday.

Within a min of removing the front left wheel and looking inside the advisor and mechanic were making a shocking facial expression. The advisor came to me and said - Sir, last time when we changed your struts we did a mistake and put the LINEA strut on the left side. Not to worry and it will be changed right away. They did do that. I kept my cool just cause of the fact that they themselves accepted their mistake and were honest enough to let me know about the goof-up, rather than making an excuse and lying that the strut was faulty and will be again changed. I value honesty. Did get a call back on Sunday morning from the advisor, apologizing again for the mistake.

They changed the struds with new one and also did alignment and steering wheel centralization ( which was not fixed by Star wheels as I was in a hurry ). The left pulling seems to have been again fixed for the time being. But it’s really hard to give a verdict as can’t find a straight stretch of road anywhere nearby.

--- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2015, Original Post Date: Dec 7, 2015 ---
    Since I am going to get the bumper painted, would want to get the rear parking sensor painted too. Any information if that can be done ? Will it have any effect on its functioning
    Ruban and prabhjot like this.
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Attached below is the report of the WA done at FASS on 5th Dec. Had saved it on PD. After 2 days of WA left pulling issue returned. Could it be cause of the Camber ?

9. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    If I am not wrong, fiat has passed the new wa values, ask fass to clarify whether your is done accordingly or not...
    Hope this helps
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    @vtlreja2 - I shall check again, however think they did get it as the last time I was there in Sep they didnt have the 2012 GP values. They only had 2009. This time I saw 2012 for GP and 2012 for Linea along with the older 2009 for GP and 2009 for Linea.