1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying & Ownership Experience - FGP Active - Knight OB-1

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by kunwar.g, Aug 28, 2014.

1. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Was in the lookout for a used car as my usage had increased and also my current car Indica Xeta was now 6 years old and had started showing signs of getting old as every now and then was giving me trouble.

Had been browsing OLX for over 2-3 weeks and did finalize on a M Swift. The final discussion was supposed to happen on 18th July, but some die heart MS Fan offered a better price to the owner and so I was back to square one.

18th July 2014 - TOI newspaper had a ad that said Fiat Punto Diesel at 4.75L and that was a little over my budget of 4.25-4.5L for a used max 2 year old diesel hatchback.

Immediately called Torque Fiat who's number was listed for Gurgaon are fixed appointment for TD. Meanwhile went to the nearby MS showroom and took a TD of Swift ZDI.

After reaching Torque had to locate the sales guy, once located he explained the very basic difference between the variant of Punto and price details. I asked for a TD and that was addressed to in 5 mins. Took TD and liked the handling of the car. There was the most famous turbo lag, but I felt the turbo kicks-in in Swift more abruptly than in Punto. Seating positioning was a little difficult. One major observation I had was the long travel of the clutch, in fact had got strain on my thigh muscles in just 10 min of in city TD. Did share it with the sales guy and he was just mum. Didn’t explain any features of the car or the behavior of the car. Once back to the showroom he worked out the offer for me. Thanking him we left. The decision was 90% made, but still wanted to be sure, so browsed the web for feedback and reviews.
    Got to know of not so good stories of the A.S.S of Torque and also their workshop details.

19th July 2014 - Got a call from Torque and he quoted price of 5.19 as final inclusive of Extended warranty and basic kit only. Called up a friend who has 3 fiats and on a an earlier ( months back ) discussion was all praise for Fiat's design and robustness. He currently drives an EcoSport. He gave me the number of Mr. Rawat who manages the DRS Fiat workshop in Gurgaon.

20th July 2014 - After browsing details online called up Rawat to check if he will provide the free services even if I buy car from Torque. He said no need to buy from Torque, will have someone from DRS call in 10 mins.
    In sharp 8 mins got a call from Mr. Sanjeev who enquired about my requirement and contact details and confirmed that he will get back to me with an offer. In about 2 hours Mr. Sanjeev called back offering me the Active variant with Extended Warranty, Zero Dep Insurance, Rear parking sensor, Central Lock and standard kit for 5.19L, during discussion also told him that I should get Corporate discount. He agreed and we scheduled to meet on 21st July at the Gurgaon Service Centre.

21st July - On 21st afternoon went to the service center. The lane to the workshop was not really confidence inspiring, but the service center was neat and clean with 10 car lanes, body shop room, paint matching room, pressure washing room. The waiting lounge was also decent. I was taken straight to the cabin of Mr. Rawat and met Mr.Sanjeev there. We discussed the features of the different variant, color I was interested in and procedure, which he explained. At no point did Mr. Sanjeev try to act smart with me and bragging about XYorZ. To the point and precise. Some answers that he didn’t know he accepted and said will get back to me with the answer. Later he called one of his team members from inside to show me the features of the car in detail. After being satisfied and looking at different colors available in the service center finalized on TW, while my wife was stuck on OB which she saw in Torque. Unfortunately the blue that we saw in the service center was a different shade, maybe Fiat had a different Blue shade earlier, though myself and Sanjeev tried to convince her that this is the same blue. Well TW it was for today. Paid a booking amount of 20 K and informed that we will take delivery on 1st Aug ( Details of date will be waste of time her, but you can understand what it can be - consulted dated from Priest )

The Corporate discount offered was Rs 1000.00. But i had called a dealer from Delhi to just check the corporate discount for my org and i was told max 3K. I challenged the offer Sanjeev was giving me and then he showed me the Corporate discount list that he had. He had been looking at the wrong org. The correct discount was Rs 2500.00 once we found my organization on the list. So now i would have the car in 516500.00

22nd July - On 22nd while in office I saw a Silver and TW Fiat in office basement parking and the silver looked bigger in comparison. While leaving for home picked wife from other building in same campus and drove her to the basement to show both cars. Then we decided that we will go to the showroom in Faridabad and look at all colors and then finalize.

23rd July - Called Sanjeev on 23rd and told him about the confusion with color and hence would visit the showroom on 24th. He gladly accepted and informed that he will be on leave so will give name of the person whom i will need to meet

24th July - Went to the Showroom in Faridabad and asked for Sagar. Sagar greeted us well and immediately took us to show the colors available and started to explain the features of the car. I politely told him not to take time in explaining as we are here to just finalize the color. Looked at the Oceanic Blue color that was in the showroom and it was different from the one at the service center. Wife gave a victory smile that she was right. I told Sagar that we are unsure about the color and would like to see both the colors together TW and OB. He took us the parking yard where the lot of cars were kept under open sky. All cars were dirty and I wanted to see them clean, so he took 1 each of the colors and send them for washing after confirming that I can wait for 45-60 mins for same, as the other cars in the service center would be in line already.

We waited and in the meanwhile Sagar handed us the booklet of all accessories provided by Fiat with their prices. After about 50 mins was told that the cars are ready. Saw 2 clean cars and the decision was made for OB. Then decided to do a pre-PDI and found that the OB had deep scratches on the rear right door and the paint was peeling off the fuel tank lid. Indicated the same to Sagar and he said he will get them fixed. We left after confirming OB color

25th July - Sanjeev called and confirmed the color but offered the give other car than the one we saw as the corrections will take time. I accepted stating that they should do a proper PDI before sending the car to Gurgaon as I wanted to take delivery from Gurgaon instead of Faridabad for convenience purposes and also as I was the only one who can drive in our house. Confirmed the delivery date to be 1st August 2014 by 12:30pm. Date and time were fixed from an auspicious timing standpoint confirmed by family priest smile.gif

30th July - Got call from Sanjeev confirmed the date and time and requesting to make the final payment so that they could initiate the invoicing. I went ahead and made payment for remaining amount with difference of 50K which I said will be done by cash on date of delivery.

31st July - Sagar called and confirmed that he has put installed the standard accessories and is sending the car to Gurgaon for delivery on 1st Aug

1st Aug - Reached DRS workshop at 11am and met Sanjeev and Rawat. Did the PDI, but did a big mistake of taking the PDI under internal lights, should have taken the car outside for proper PDI, more on it later. All paperwork and documentations were ready to ensure that I drive the car out of there no later than 12:30pm. The Zero Dep Insurance + Extended warranty receipts were missing and Rawat put that on the DRS letter head without any hesitation for me. Got a pack of sweets and pics taken right at 12:20pm and sharp 12:30pm I was out with my new car, with wife and son. Driving back home very cautiously and smiling every time noticed someone giving a appreciative look to our car. Followed by customary puja at a temple with sweets

In the standard fitting the Floor Mat was the basic carpet Mat. The mud flaps are the plastic moulded ones and not the rubber ones smile.gif . Auto Lock is of a "Terminator" variant and rear parking sensors are the ones with only the beep sounds, might upgrade to the camera ones later on if need be, though i think these sensors are more useful for longer cars and not hatchbacks

Finally I had a good car in my hands and an amazing color. My - Knight OB-1

For meanwhile sharing the pics from last to last weekend trip to Shimla
    DSC_2927.JPG
    DSC_2930.JPG
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Nice Pics!! What about doing the PDI in internal light? did i missed something :)
    Congrats anyways kunwar!! Right choice of color as well as car.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Congrats man, terrific choice! There's no better car IMO for a Gurgaon resident who often has to drive on fast-ish highways even within the City, not to mention frequent broken stretches!

Torque are not bad but DRS are good, have had several experiences with them. Reassuring for all vacilating and doubting Fiat (potential) owners. Do keep posting your appraisals of DRS.

Cheers, enjoy!
    kunwar.g likes this.
  4. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Actually all seemed fine when I did the PDI, but after getting it home when i checked the car again the next day found a few fine scratches on the left doors and also on the rear bumper. I took the car to DRS after a week and they used 3M rubbing compound and polished them. should have been done before delivery actually. So Always always do PDI under the sun.

Well now coming to the journey so far with ny OB-1. This might get lengthy, so bear with me.

After the delivery of the car was out of town for official pupose and couldnt enjoy it. But was able to take family on a trip to Shimla 15-17 Aug. The drive was nice. During onward journey tried to maintain speed between 90-100 km/hr and got approx 20km/ltr average. I was able to accelerate uphill just fine, no lack of torque, but there was this moment when i had to brake in mid of uphill drive and then somehow found an absolute loss of power even in 2nd gear. I was not at standstill position but still had to pull it on 1st gear. Other than that no issues.

While returning there was a huge traffic jam, the worst i have faced so far. 40 in 6 hrs. Finally was pleased to hit the highway. This time i took the car over 100 on few instances. The max speed as per GPS came to be 132km/hr but i think i did touch 140km/hr per the speedo, and man was it stable, absolutely glued and no shaking, rattling. At 140km\hr it was not OB-1 that gave way but my guts, as it was night and there was some traffic. Didnt want to take any chances.

By the time i reached back the efficiency had dropped to 17 km/ltr, but most of it was due to the traffic jam, when I got to the highway it was showing at being at 15.5 km/ltr.

Currently in Gurgaon traffic getting only 12.7-13.5 km/ltr which is disappointing, but probably is cause of the short runs that is happening this month. Office is 10km from home with 4 signals and half a dozen roadbumps.

One issue or maybe not that i have observed over the last few days is that if the window is rolled down then i get a 'whoosh/whiiish" kind of sound right after I take my foot of the accelerator. Its only for .5 seconds and only once i am at speed over 50-60. Its similar to the sound of the fuel pump that you hear when the car is switched on. Is this an issue or its normal ?

I normally drive in the band of 1750-2000 rpm at all gears over 2. 1 and 2 usually is over 2K rpm as these gears are used for just initial acceleration. Have had my share of stalling due to the long clutch travel. Still learning

So far, I have only added a steering knob and chrome exhaust to the car. I have removed the "Punto" and "Active" emblems from the car right before detailing the car at end of Aug'14. Did the following steps
    2 bucket wash
    Clay with Bilt Medium Clay
    1 Pass of SSR 2.5 of Poorboys
    1 Pass of SSR 1.0 of Poorboys
    1 Pass of Blackhole of Poorboys
    1 Pass of Ex-Sealant of Poorboys
    1 Pass of Natty Blue Wax of Poorboys

But the rains in the lst 2 weeks have taken of the wax. Did a 2 bucket shampoo was last weekend and since then maintaining with RAW wash every alternate day.

The one single thing that I hated in the car during the first couple of days was the position of the indicator sticks. Its set for LHS driving and not RHS. But now I am getting the hang of it :). Though i would still prefer it on the RHS.

Plan to add the following to the car

1. Art Leather Seats - still searching for cheap and best option, but the main reason for doubt is will it be a correct choice to put Art leather for a place like gurgaon where the seats could turn into a furnace, as for next 6-8 months the car will not be in a shaded parking

2. Leather Steering cover & gear knob

3. Some DRL in place of the fog lamps. Again not too sure of the effectivness of getting the fog lamps installed from FASS as its going to cost quite a lot ( lamp clamps, lamps and labour charge )

4. Arm rest. Have ordered it from eBay. Shall install when the seats are taken out for fitting bucket seats

5. Door guards - the small ones that it put at the wide side of the doors to save it at tight spots

6. Magnetic window sun shades

7. 3D floor mats

8. Door sill - now the one that is from Fiat is for 700.00 and only for the front two. I am getting a set for front and rear doors for approx 900.00 in the market, which one to take ?

9. Metal pedals of Sparco - now there are two types of these one with rubber parts and one without, which one would be safe to use ?

Well that's it for now. I have put my specific questions in bold, request assistance .
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

If you have seen how aftermarket front and rear door sil looks, and you like, take them.
    There is no safety issue with metal pedal, take whichever you like.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Since I have to order online wanted to be sure about it. Would the plain aluminium ones not be slippery and not as much grip as the one with rubber. I know you might think " why the hell are you asking then ". Well the design i like comes in both variants ( with and without rubber fittings ), and the ebay seller has only the one without the rubber fittings. The one that he has with rubber fittings is a different design and i have doubts if it will fit the Punto. Below are the pics

index.jpg

official-sparco-progetto-corsa-racing-style-silver-car-pedal-set-4568-p.jpg
  7. Bhushan Pawar

Bhushan Pawar Timido

Ranjangoan 412210
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congratulations Kunwar!!!. You have made a great choice & you got very good deal too. Pleased to read about your satisfactory buying process. OB is always a different color so enjoy it's exclusivity.
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One issue or maybe not that i have observed over the last few days is that if the window is rolled down then i get a 'whoosh/whiiish" kind of sound right after I take my foot of the accelerator. Its only for .5 seconds and only once i am at speed over 50-60. Its similar to the sound of the fuel pump that you hear when the car is switched on. Is this an issue or its normal ?

Request some response on this issue.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Tough to say: sounds just like the turbo 'whistle' to me, from your description, perfectly normal, there even are people who love that particular sound! :)
    kunwar.g likes this.
  10. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Seems will have to take it to FASS sometime to get it checked, but you may be right seems like turbo whistle basis some videos I checked on yourtube.

Next question :)

What should be the rpm at idle for punto 75. Attached is a pic of the rpm at idle. Should it not be at 1000 rpm ?

DSC_1197_1.jpg