1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying a Punto

Discussion in 'Pre sales query' started by charan, May 9, 2012.

1. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Hey, guys I am from Bangalore and always been a lover of Fiat cars and now i am buying a Punto 1.3 MJD 90HP, its a used one, Sept 2010, 30500 kms done, white color...The asking price is 6.25 lac, What would be the best price for me to pick it up....Please advice..

Regards,

Charan Raj
  2. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    6.25 is quite high...for 30k run car....5.5 should be good...
    1 person likes this.
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    The On Road price for 90 Hp in Bangalore is above 8 lakhs. At 20% Depreciation, the IDV now should be 5.0-5.5 L
    Ask him for the Insurance and check the IDV at last renewal and how long back was that.
    1 person likes this.
  4. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Dear Friend,

Pandit Auto (Pune) had a BNW 90 HP June/July 2011 vehicle for sale a month or so back. It was an unregistered TD vehicle with less than 5k on the odometer. The quoted price was 6.63 lakhs OTR. You may check with them for the same if you feel interested. Being unregistered you will be the first owner of the car and the downside is that warranty was from dealer side (for 1 year) which will be as good as nothing to you since you seem to be from Bangalore. One of the TFI members stays opposite or within walking distance of that dealer.

For the car that you mentioned get a fresh insurance quote and the valuation would be quite less. This should help you get an idea of the price. In my personal opinion 5.5 lakhs is a price to be paid if the car is in pristine condition. Else bargain the price to pay based on things you may need to change such as tyres, battery, servicing which will be due soon, comprehensive insurance which will be due soon, any other things that are not working properly / not working at all etc.

Cheers!!!

Amit
    1 person likes this.
  5. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Hello Puntosat,

I went back to the dealer(Toyota U Trust) again today and he quoted 5.85 lac as final, I test drove it and it was in good condition and I tried bargaining and he insisted I pay a token advance of 10k to book it or else it may be sold to someone else but I told him to give me 24-48 hrs and once I got back home, called him again and he offered me 5.75lac as final. Please advice!

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Hello Puntosat,

I went back to the dealer(Toyota U Trust) again today and he quoted 5.85 lac as final, I test drove it and it was in good condition and I tried bargaining and he insisted I pay a token advance of 10k to book it or else it may be sold to someone else but I told him to give me 24-48 hrs and once I got back home, called him again and he offered me 5.75lac as final. Please advice!

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Hi Relativity,

The on road price for Punto MJD 90HP 2012 is 8.93 lacs, The insurance expires on sept 2012....Advices appreciated

Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Dear Amit,

How do I get hold of TD vehicles and if I do would it be advisable buying them since they are usually tested on the rough side and what about any future damages or expenses arising out of the test drivers rough treatment on the car?

The dealer's final quote has now come down to 5.75lacs and also let me know how can I contact the TFI member, Also do let me know what are the first point checks I need to do before buying this car..... Advises really appreciated as I am really desperate to get hold of a Fiat Punto MJD 90HP :rolleyes:

Regards,

Charan Raj

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

DO u all suggest that I wait till I get a better vehicle for better price or try bargaining more and get the same car for the dealer, also let me know should I buy a car thats done 30k kms or should I go for a car thats done lesser mileage and what would the ideal mileage be for me to buy it and also let me know the criterias or downsides to it....

regards
    Desperate fiat prospect :steering
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Charan

6 lacs is the right price of 90 HP which has clocked 30500 km & Sept 2010.

By seeing today's price of new 90 HP,owner will not ready to sell it for 5.5

Coz less odo running. I think you should go for 5.75 to 6.00
    1 person likes this.
  7. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Also,there is one car lying at Aadya ,Hebbal i.e BNW Punto 1.3 Emotion diesel...new one..but might have been used for limited test drive..you may get it for 6 lakh if you bargain hard...

Looks a good car...but do a thorough check...
    1 person likes this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    1. check the service history of the car from any fiat authorized service center.
    2. check for any accident claims from the insurance company for both years.
    3. ask for the reason why 1st owner sold the car.

These things will help in confirming that the car is clean. Also before sealing the deal it would be good to get hold of a local mechanic and ask him to inspect the car. usually they can make out if any body part has been replaced.
    1 person likes this.
  9. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    Hi Charan,

If you really like the car then let me help you around with some things that you need to check and some things which should help you bargain from 5.75 final quote price. All the bargain points should make sense to the seller.

1. Tyres may be fine, considering usually they have decent tread for 40 to 45 thousand kms. Check when was the last wheel balancing and alignment done.
    2. Check the battery as it may cost you around 5k in another 6 months or an year. (Negotiation window for 5k)
    3. Check the detailed service history and any accidents / parts replaced under insurance in the last two years from a Fiat dealer before the purchase. Minor accidents and replacements are fine but if there is air bag deployment or structural replacements DO NOT BUY that car. I have met people who lied coldly that the car was accident free when it had a major accident history. Fortunately when we checked the service history there was happy realization and never contacted the seller again. A genuine seller will come with you to the Fiat dealer to show you the service history.
    4. The insurance will be due in Sept which will cost you around 15k. (Negotiation window for 15k)
    5. Ask him to get the car serviced as mostly the dealer will try to push that on you. Considering a 15k interval, if this is not done then you will end up spending another 5 to 10 k on this in just a few months. (Negotiation window for 10k)
    6. Check all electrical systems (central console with blue & me, power window switches, light stalks, lights all around the car etc) as well as mechanical levers (parking brake, seat adjustment, boot lid opener etc) as few may be faulty or broken. Do not believe that everything is in working order unless you have tried everything as otherwise you will be spending your hard earned money to fix it. (If anything is not working ask the dealer to get it in working order)
    7. Jack and other tools which you may need, the spare key and owner's manual, extended warranty booklet if applicable etc.

Cheers!!!

Amit
    1 person likes this.
  10. charan

charan

Bangalore

Yes! Thats exactly what I thought. 5.75 lac is a goo deal Coz the price for Punto 2012 MJD 90HP is 9lac and it was the almost on the same price line with the previous models too, I would also simultaneously consider Mr. Amit's Suggestion of trying to bargain for certain lose ends like Battery, Service, tyres etc. Just trying to push my luck here :D

Thanks Bhai!

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Yes! Thats exactly what I thought. 5.75 lac is a goo deal Coz the price for Punto 2012 MJD 90HP is 9lac and it was the almost on the same price line with the previous models too, I would also simultaneously consider Mr. Amit's Suggestion of trying to bargain for certain lose ends like Battery, Service, tyres etc. Just trying to push my luck here :D

Thanks Bhai!

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Thanks Puntosat, I'll give it a try at Aadya and check it out tomorrow

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

Sure! I shall keep these questions and make sure to ask the dealer once I meet him tomorrow.

Thank you Shams

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Thank you Amit!!

Everything that you have mentioned makes total sense and I actually can see a lot of options for negotiating further and will definitely try my luck in further bargaining and shall keep all the mentioned points in mind and yes! I would no matter what not buy the car if there was any situation where the Airbags were deployed or if there were structural replacements(Thats my policy too). I am gonna try my best and bring it down to 5.60lacs coz that was the price I initially quoted and hopefully the dealer accepts my dal and I shall post the pics as soon as I get the car....Just keeping my fingers crossed to get hold of the 'White beauty' ::O

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

Thanks Puntosat, I'll give it a try at Aadya and check it out tomorrow

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Sure! I shall keep these questions in mind and make sure to ask the dealer once I meet him tomorrow.

Thank you Shams