1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying a pre-owned MJD/Tjet

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Prathap Chandran S, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Prathap Chandran S

Prathap Chandran S Timido

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a pre-owned vehicle for some time now. My monthly use itself would not cross 700 to 1000 kms (low by most standards). Also, highways are where I would be doing most of the driving. With this, I went about gathering information on Safe, Sturdy and Reliable vehicles that can comfortably cruise at 120 Kmph/more, handle well and still return decent mileage.

I realize that a Fiat Linea MJD or TJet would be a good choice. So presently I am on the look out for a MJD or TJet (2011 or later) that has been used for less than 70000 kilometers.

Still, I have some questions with regard to the following:

1) Any views on the MJD or TJet connundrum? I know that TJet is pure driving bliss. But with MJD, after some time with the car, I could explore the possibility of Wolfing to make it more fun-to-drive.

2) Cost of ownership, Maintenance and Spare availability: Is it costly to maintain either of the above models? What about the availability of spares for these vehicles? How is this availability likely to evolve with the impending release of Aegea. Is it more costly to maintain the Tjet (spares, repairs etc)

3) Pre-used or Pre-misused cars?
    There is always the chance that the previous owner is trying to get rid of a misused vehicle. How to guard against such bad deals?

4) Flood affected vehicle: Is it really possible to figure out if a vehicle was affected by floods. I spoke to some mechanics and they say that it is not always possible to spot a flood affected car!

Since I work in AP and travel frequently to TN, I am looking for suitable vehicles from places like Tamil Nadu (other than Chennai), Kerala, Karnataka and AP. The issue with Chennai vehicles is that they could have been affected by the floods. In Bangalore or Coimbatore, the vehicle costs seem to slightly higher.

There are some possible vehicles available near Coimbatore and Palakkad but I am unable to get information about reliable and independent fiat mechanics (lineas and puntos) in Coimbatore or Palakkad (or nearby) who can travel with me to the car owner's place, take a test ride, test the vehicle's power delivery etc and inspect the car thoroughly.

If any of you could please provide me with such information It would be of great help to me.
    Any other suggestions or advice are welcome in this regard.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The cars are by and large trouble free. Yes like any model in market esp European ones this will at times need attention from experts of FASS.

Looking at your running Tjet is best, but since you want a car run less than 70,000 kms it could mean which ever deal serves you best.

I personally have just one grudge which is clutch overhaul cost for tjet which is not cheap exactly. That said MJD will need care too. But for practical purposes mjd with wolfmap will be good choice.

If you aren't used to diesels, especially multijet, definitely get your hands on one or hire one from self drive car companys if possible. Tjet will he absolute bliss to drive and you should think really hard in favour of the same too.

Fiat car history can be availed from service centre. DMS system is centralised and helps. Tjet out of warranty spares are expensive depending on how you perceive it. That said mjd isn't cheap also if you are one of those unfortunate who somehow get multiple issues. But once solved the cars are very reliable.

Since all this is confusing. Here is a tip for you. Whatever the price please keep 50k-1L cash aside for emergency expenses. This cannot mean it will be that much immediately. But if any car especially used superficially doesn't have any issues it could develop some suddenly depending on what has gone overlooked previously.

But be rest assured if any cars are worth the slight trouble to get sorted for long term reliability then Punto and Linea are on top of list in used car market. Do buy low run and low age and mileage lesser than 40k if possible. If loan is possible buy the best conditioned one even if it means premium. It wouldnt matter if you had been acquainted to Fiat earlier.

Please make time and keep going through forum to clear all your doubts.

Flood cars most have been written off. If there is such a model available you can get it checked from the FASS history online DMS in case second or third owner. When something sounds or looks fishy or too good to be true stay away and take no chances.
  3. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Another aspect worth checking is the insurance claims history of the car. Restoring a flooded car would not have been cheap and by all probability, the insurance claim history will tell you the story. If the car doesn't have a live comprehensive insurance or you cannot verify the claim details, simply walk away. You have plenty of options in used car market.
    Prathap Chandran S likes this.
  4. Prathap Chandran S

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks asimpleson for all the advice. I am even in touch with some reliable dealers like True Sai Salem (they have good reviews as far as car servicing is concerned) to see if they have pre-owned cars in good condition to be picked up.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk
  5. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Even a punto can be included in your list in case you are open for MJD diesel. If punto is included then you can try to buy at a low price a punto pure which is the old grande punto (not the new evo).
  6. Prathap Chandran S

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks to asimpleson, V K Pasupathy and KPR for your inputs.

I have not been considering Punto seriously till now. However, there wasn't much of a price difference between a used Punto and used Linea (similar age) based on some preliminary search. I thought that Linea is more stable and suited for highway rides.

If I buy a 2011 or 2012 linea mjd or tjet, will fiat continue to provide service and spares? Are these models similar to the present Linea models as far as the components are concerned or will the availability of spares be a big issue shortly after purchase. I read that even with in-production vehicles, Fiat has a questionable reputation as far as spares availability is concerned!

As far as the service records are concerned, do I need vehicle owner's permission to go these from the showroom.

Do I need to contact the Insurance provider or the owner for the Insurance records? Please clarify.

What is the going rate for a used 1.3 MJD Emotion Variant Linea diesel, 65000kms, single owner and 2012 car. Owner is quoting about 4.1Lakhs. Showroom says it is not worth more than 3.3 Lakhs.

7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You can ask owner to furnish all details. If details aren't there ask him to arrange the same from FASS, you can offer to collect. Find out which service if any has been missed.

Yes do negotiate for car price. Close 3.5 if car is good. Many owners take time to decide so be patient in negotiations. Seller must also understand that new buyer could need to incur some expenses, which you can point out with subtlety.

Spare parts is non issue unless you have a non running item requirement. In which case for expediting you can contact Fiat if things are being delayed and they do fasttrack. Remember you want to use the car regularly and be patient initially atleast. They are pretty reliable cars and breakdowns aren't common. MJD like I said will be lighter on bills but total cost of ownership will depend on how smartly you plan or do preventive maintenance.

Also don't buy car older than 2012 model. Especially MJD. There are some important improvements in 2012 and again in 2013 and so forth.
    gpunto75 and Prathap Chandran S like this.
  8. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Prathap Chandran S As you are aware there are no hard and fast rules to apply to the valuation of a used car. Get a fair idea of prices at which a model for a particular year or years then evaluate the condition of the car with either by self or by a trusted mechanic and if all satisfactory go for negotiations. Also, when you buy direct from the previous owner, sometimes you may either feel that you are paying a little less or a little more than the price you might have thought in your mind and that doesn't really matter. And there WILL be some expenses to get the Car to your liking. Make your budget accordingly and go for the purchase. It took over 4 months' search and evaluation, and further period of approximately 10 workshop days in a span of 45 days after purchase to get my car home completely satisfied about its health.
    And, yes cars from trusted dealers always come with a premium in price which is nothing but the premium for peace of mind. When buying from such dealers, always insist for a warranty from them.
    All the best.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Prathap Chandran S

Chennai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi! Are these changes detailed in any of the forum discussions? Is it the change in GC? or have Fiat done more changes starting with 2012?

10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There are other changes as well albeit subtle. Not aware if any thread is dedicated to it. But you will be better off buying 2012 or even 2013 models. Latter models even have some enhancements in rail pressure and power curve. Most definitely especially in New Linea and Evo. Might I add the 75hp models like classic or even punto 75hps are much better responding in my experience. Others might think differently. But 75hp is quick and feels less laggy to me. 90hp is supposed to develop boost at lower ranges and also offer significant boost advantages in overall rev range with better top end by various reports since it uses VGT. But I can't challenge that since I haven't really done A to B compare that critically, besides I don't drive above 110-120.
    Hebbar likes this.