1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying a Linea T-Jet Plus - EQ vs IQ

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by xplorauto, Nov 1, 2011.

1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Woah! I bumped across this thread pretty late - just like Delhi Police arrives on the scene much later - but that was because I as traveling and had not accessed the forum in last 2 weeks.

Glad to see another TJet+ being added to the TFI family and more importantly, Xplorauto's persistence (and luck) in sorting out the deal.

When I booked my TJet it was a 3 month old vehicle allotted to me. Since I had chosen Oct 6th as a delivery date, it essentially meant that by the time I took delivery, it would turn another 3 weeks older. But still I chose to go ahead. Why? SImply because the ENTIRE package is unmatched - feature-wise, technology-wise, experience-wise and price-wise.

Yes it has rust on the brake discs (which several people confirmed to be superficial and not a deal-breaker) and some minor roof beading mis-alignment issues as well. Apart from this, I had *very minor* paint chip (caused by bursting of the paint bubbles, I was told) on the front RHS. But my dealer gave me verbal and written assurance of getting it solved in *whichever way I choose* i.e. touch up or re-paint. I did not avail any option at the time of delivery but reserve the right to get it corrected whenever I feel.

Net-net : One needs to look at the bigger picture. A car is made of metal and alloys and improper storage (i.e. being exposed to elements) can cause rusting in ANY make/model - be it Tata, Fiat, Hyundai or whatever. Our bad luck that Fiat has handed over the distribution network to the Tatas, who are absolute duds in execution.

One drive in a Fiat, and more specifically a TJet is enough to silence the most vocal critics and please the most eager enthusiasts. When I booked the car, I had the niggle aspect as a backdrop but was more focused on identifying mechanical and technological issues. There are some minor issues (e.g. old/dated tires, stupid OEM ICE) which I ignored - as I was to change them. But touch-wood, there were no other *deal breakers*.

Fiat engines are remarkably built and are built to last. The handling, aided by the hydraulic power steering beats the shi* out of so called modern Electronic Power Steering controlled cars. Braking is exceptional and the car provides a VERY secure feeling on the road. I guess this seals the deal. To be fair - which other car at this price point can tick all boxes in the above check-list at one go? To top it off, we have the TJet with ABS, EBD and airbags. These are essentials in buying a sedan (or any other car for that matter) and uncompromisable.

IMHO rest all other factors - looks, features, gizmos etc are subjective to an individual's taste.
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Since the talk is about a nut rusting, the obvious reference is to my case. I am pretty offended by this statement. Just because you were lucky in getting a car without rust does not mean that I should accept a car with rust. I have posted only a few snaps (my mistake that I did not take snaps of rust at other places such as welded joints and other body parts), but the rust was more akin to what ramjn had posted in the PDI thread started for his car by teki. Making a blanket statement that other brands have rust is not going to help. It is a competitive world and in order to survive, the company has to provide the best quality.

I never asked for an old car buddy and I am not interested in trading in a lakh Rupees for some rusted car. I have invested a whole lot of time and money for the TJet. I can wait if it is required. As far as xplorauto's car is concerned, he himself has stated that his car was in a pretty good condition when compared to mine. (no rust on body so apparently no issue) Rust on the disc brakes and some core iron components is natural and cannot be prevented even in a new car. But if a new car has rust on the body then I would reject it.

I am of the view that if I am spending 10 lac rupees I need a good quality product. It is something that even Italia has expressed and I am in agreement with him

Yes Fiat had a golden chance. But all is not over. They can start afresh with facelifted models next year.

DJ --> blaming Tata for eveything is not correct. I had escalated the matter to Fiat and got a chance to speak with one of the Fiat engineers who had done the PDI before putting the car in transit. He agreed that he had seen rust on the nut under the bonnet before putting in the car. He said that he thought that it was nothing major and it could be rectified by the dealer before delivery. Also he was pretty rude and he had the audacity to tell me to cancel the car and move to some other brand as there was no issue with the car. If this is the attitude of Fiat engineers, then GOD save Fiat. Till now for most troubles in Fiat car the obvious answer that is available is that Tata is the culprit. So if Tata is the culprit what is Fiat doing to ensure that its customers do not have to face trouble and quality issues?
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    cent percent agreement.

If I sense some trouble i will keep off from it.else it will haunt me rest of my life after owning it. but that wont deter me from owning same product with no issues.
    and I wont compromise with some substitutes from other brands.sure.
  4. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    True, I may overlook paint, plastic etc., but then I cannot impose my yardstick on another. What others see as value for their money, they are entitled to get. For some it is the driving dynamics, for others, the detailing and for still others, it is the whole package as advertised.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. Satyajit

Satyajit

Mumbai
    @speedjet: If you'd care to read my post fully, I've also said that I am not at all endorsing buying a damaged car.
    The rusting nut and bolt comment was not specifically directed to you bro, but a general statement. My view was to put things into perspective... and I am talking of seemingly superficial niggles that do get blown out of proportion and hence I've asked expert correlation. Also, my comment regarding other brands were in context to these superficial niggles. Read what I've said in parentheses, that only a comparitive study can help whether they truly exist or not. I've not claimed that they do but merely questioned it.

As far as your car is concerned, only you know the condition of the car you've received and you have every right to accept or reject it outright. Nobody's asking you to compromise on quality. Since you've decided to wait until the new batch comes out, so be it. Let's not be so touchy and make personal statements.

And yes, I am indeed lucky (touch wood so far) and grateful for it - to answer your question... and no, I've not compromised on quality either.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Satyajit I am not here to make any personal statements and the same applies to you. Please do not make indirect references to my case. Let's stop this over here and not hijack xplorautos thread and spoil his happiness.
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    I'm not blaming Tata entirely, but majorly. Of course, Fiat did not structure the JV correctly and hence they are now suffering. Howeverm if I were in your place and dead keen on getting a satisfactory Tjet+, I would write, call and religiously follow up with Fiat India executives, NOT the engineers. e.g. have you contacted these people?
    Chase them as you would follow up with a company for a job, or pursue a girl for marriage (bad example, but I hope you get the drift!)
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I have written to the CEO and Mangesh many times. Finally Mangesh had called up and talked with me but it did not help. Before Mangesh called a guy who does PDI at the plant had called. He probably got a rap because of my mail in which I had questioned the PDI at the plant. He was upset as his work was being questioned. Anyways, I have given the dealer some time to think of how he would provide the replacement. If he disagrees I am going to cancel, ask for a full refund and rebook in Jan with some other dealer. Fiat has told me very clearly that I need to discuss with dealer and not them. So I guess that Fiat is least bothered about a customer like me who is only buying a single car
  9. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    ^ How about cross referencing forum threads ala TBHP, TFI and GH in your email to them? Or threat of consumer court / bad press coverage? That may help!
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    So much to buy a car ? which world we are living my friend?