1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying a Linea T-Jet Plus - EQ vs IQ

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by xplorauto, Nov 1, 2011.

1. xplorauto

xplorauto

Bangalore
    With the Diwali holidays behind, the week that follows is usually a dampener. But this year it promised to be different.

The 'beast in the beauty's shell' was due to come home!!!

I had booked the T-Jet+ a week back on the 'Dhanteras' with Aadya Motors, Bangalore. I hadn't exactly planned on buying a new car this time of the year but it certainly was in the horizon. My wife had just finished her driving classes and she needed something to train her hands before she could take the kids to school from the next session. So we had agreed that she would use the Getz for now and I would pick up a new car.

With that in mind I had started perusing through the auto forums, magazines and review videos about a quarter back. As a matter of lucky timing a colleague of mine decided to pick up a sedan for himself in September and fortunately too in the same price band, between 10 & 12 lakhs, that I was interested in. While he started arranging for test drives, I tagged along. After a month of extensive long and short haul trials both in and out of city traffic, the two of us has were pretty much in awe of the drive quality of the T-Jet+ and also the color Sunbeam Beige. Eventually, I guess head prevailed over the heart for him and he chose to pick up the Multijet Emotion Pack. He however stuck on to the same color.

For me it was different and in matters of the heart I always keep the head out. It has worked for me in the past and I always believed that picking a car is not very different from choosing a partner (to marry). So I decided to stick on to what my heart says and concocted a strange rationale to appease my head and got it to concur with the decision. Considering that I drive close to to 75 kms a day, I concede that this most certainly was an utter irrational decision but so was that of my colleague's who picked up a diesel and drives less than 5 kms a day.:p

In the late afternoon of last Monday while unloading the fire crackers (we had pickeup from Hosur the previous day) from the car my wife quipped that we hadn't picked up anything this year for Dhanteras. She probably was indicating towards jewellery but as though like an impulsive light hearted response I asked if we should book the T-Jet+ for the occasion expecting her to shoot down the idea immediately. To my surprise she responded saying "Not a bad idea at all!!!". That's that; I didn't have a moment to loose. I immediately called the sales manager whom I had interacted with earlier, sought a time in the next 15 minutes and headed to the nearest showroom. With the booking made the sales manager promised a delivery the following week. On the way back home we thought we had the best ever Dhanteras this year. All through the week we couldn't help hide the anticipation for the week to come running around with enthusiasm to arrange for the car loan from SBI. To SBI's credit, the loan was arranged for in 2 days and the count down started. Rarely does it so happen that on Diwali one so anxiously waits for the following week to come.

Yesterday morning I called up the sales manager at Aadya to inquire on the status of the car. He called back in an hour to confirm that the car had arrived and invited me for the PDI. My wife had take the kids out on a birthday part, so barely able to contain my excitement I headed out alone. Little did I realize that what I would be presented with what would be an utter rude shock!!!

As I entered the premise of Aadya motors, I could see a T-Jet+ parked along the entrance of the showroom. It didn't look like it was brand new so I initially discarded it as probably a vehicle which has come down for repair. But there was some thing within that told me that this was probably it. The manager was taking a while to make himself available, so i decided to take a casual walk around the vehicle. One pass, and I could see the rusted sprocket of the alloys, rusted disc brakes, flaky chrome plating on the rear door handle, rust on the exhaust, a bulged out chrome line on the bumpers. I walked in closer near the bonnet and faint scratch marks started becoming apparent. That's when the sales manager came out who to my dismay confirmed my worst fear. That was the car earmarked for me. I was dumb founded for a while. After a moment I gathered myself and asked him to open up the car for me. I checked the ODO reading and it said 15 H. I headed straight for the VIN. It said '....DMZ'. So it was immediately evident that it wasn't the dealer but the guys at Fiat who were trying to dump a 7 month old badly preserved car to me. I was furious but managed to hold my calm and pointed out every defect and anomaly to the manager. I candidly conveyed to him that I would refuse to accept this car for registration.

The sales manager called up someone in Fiat who he said was the regional sales head and asked me to speak to him. He heard me and argued that all T-Jet+'s he has in Fiat stockyard, except Silver, are manufactured around April. It looked to me as if he was trying to suggest ... take it or leave it. Immediately it all started making sense as to how Fiat was offering the heavily advertised 1,30,000/- discount on T-Jets. They were perhaps trying to dump all stale units at a discounted rate. So I hung up the phone and stated bluntly to the sales manager that I would under no circumstance accept that unit and also conveyed that if they were in capable of allotting a freshly made better preserved car, they would have to write a written apology to that effect for wasting my time and effort.

The sales manager has promised to revert with an answer by tomorrow...
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    FIAT has stopped manufacturing TJETs for time being. so probably you wont get a brand new car.

yes they has a stock lying with them and those are the only options for customers.

but FIAT should be kicked hardly in their ASS for sending rusty , improperly stored cars to the dealers.

if they want to clear the dirty stock of theirs they should atleast clean the rust, remove the defects in factory itself before dispatching the cars.

something is seriously wrong with FIAT.

i would suggest you to cancel the booking and not waste your time on these idiots.

a very similar story we read was from our own forum member speedJet. you can search for his posts.
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I agree to to Italia-Linea.

There is no point to buy a seven month old car though you are getting discount on it.

If they dont have a brand new (recently manufactured car) then please drop your plan to buy Linea Tjet. If you still want to stick to Linea then go for Multijet. You have option of SBB color in Multijet also, so dont worry.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The issue seems to stem from an improper storage of the car.

Although the car is April manufactured, but it's only done 15km's and the discount is pretty seductive too.

The rust on the rotors is something which most of us here are living with. The contact part of the rotor will get cleaned once the car is up and running. The non contact part will see rust, and the solution to it is so complex that it's not worth giving a try.

What is the extent of rust on other areas of the car? Did you check the door/boot/bonnet linings etc. Those are the major areas.

Apart from this, the only concern left would be the 6 month old petrol in the car and the fuel lines. Petrol turns to varnish on long storage and that is difficult to get rid of ( It took me one day to clean a Yamaha RD350 carb which had varnish).

The deal may not be that bad if you can stretch the dealer more on the discount and replace the cosmetically damaged parts with new ones on the dealers tab.

But if you find that the body is starting to rust, then just walk away.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. rana

rana Novizio

Mumbai
    Hey guys,

Even I was thinking of booking a FIat TJet+ in this month, I am waiting for the dealer to let me know the scheme for the November month, since I could not book it under the Diwali promotion (funding issues)

However, this post is now alarming me. If it is true that there are no newer Tjets being made and all cars are April ones, is it at all advisable to go forth and make the booking.

Also, my friend from TATA Motors says that Fiat would soon be coming up with a New Linea (facelifted version), this could be the reason they have stopped manufacturing the existing Tjet....

I had set my heart on the Tjet but now I am confused as to what to do.... Will the dealer be able to or be honest enough to admit if I charge him upfront.

Also, explorauto, what is your location and dealer.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    have you checked with the other dealers i.e. concorde, prerana and kht for fresh tjet stock?
  7. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @xplorauto, if dealer dont have any other T-jet than that then even i'll say drop the idea of Tjet. Think for Multijet as its production & sell is going well. You have many choices in Multijet, SBB too.
    If your running is low then think about Fire. But i'll force on mutijet as it is agreat car to own, if not Tjet.
    You can keep your multijet healthy by going out on weekends although if your daily running is low.
    You wont find out very fresh Tjet as its making is halted by Fiat till this stock clears out.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    T-jet is True-jet. even Honda civic and skoda laura owners have admired the driving dynamics and throttle response of Linea t-jet which means t-jet is far ahead of mjd anyday.
    love those 16'' wheels and instant power on demand.
  9. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    @jayadev, though I agree with you there I won't pick a rusted car - no matter what.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i would suggest guys to wait till autoexpo jan 2012 for clear picture from fiat stable. ofcourse there is no match to tjet, but waiting for auto expo will be the best bet.