1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying a Fiat Linea Classic 1.3

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by vaibhavv4u, Dec 6, 2013.

1. vaibhavv4u

vaibhavv4u

Bangalore
    Hi guys,

Just a small back story to this decision. Haven't finalized yet and would love to hear your thoughts.

I have been given a budget by my company to buy a car. They asked me to stick to Rs.7 lakh as a budget but they may stretch a bit above it. I am currently driving a 2007 Ford Fiesta so basically any hatchback would be a downgrade for me. And this may sound petty, but I have colleagues who were offered an undisclosed budget to buy cars from my organization and have ended up with basic versions of the Amaze and Toyota Etios Diesel. All the more reason for me to look for a sedan. The Ford Fiesta is sort of a family heirloom, so no plans to exchanging it.

My budget constrained me to Swift DZire and Amaze, which was also stretching my budget. Amaze EMT came to 7.84 Lakhs on road but there is no availability till Feb and the showroom mentioned that there is expected to be a 10-20k price hike post December. Swift Dzire did not have the cabin room comfort. Even worse than Amaze and the boot is a bit of a joke. I went around other showrooms just to get data to compare these to other sedans and premium hatchbacks. Ended up at Fiat cafe where I expected the sales guy to hear my budget and show me the Punto. Instead when he heard I was considering the Dzire Ldi and Amaze EMT immediately mentioned that the Linea Classic which has an on road price of 8.6 lakhs can come within 8 lakhs. Comparing it to the Amaze EMT, the only feature that matters which was absent was the ABS and remote central locking. But the metal used was of a better gauge (at least feel wise) than amaze and the engine was not as noisy.

The exterior is beautiful but the interiors were a bit of a let down. Especially the ac vent switch. I test drove the classic plus since classic wasn't available. He mentioned that both have rear ac vents (could someone confirm?). I expected the toned down engine to be a let down but it handled beautifully. I am not a major car enthusiast to differentiate between performance, but the feel was as good as, if not better than the Honda Amaze engine. I couldn't zoom past triple digits in the city traffic but the engine felt smooth and perhaps even better than the Ford Fiesta I am driving at present.

The sales person mentioned he might work on more discounts (He had already offered me 60k discount) and would get back to me. When compared to Amaze EMT and Swift DZire LDi, this seems a much better car both in looks and performance. I would love to customize the dash board to make it look less..umm..cheap. Maybe wooden trims? (any suggestions?) Adding 30k more would give me decent music system, central locking and reverse parking sensors.

Is there any reason why I should reconsider this decision? And if not, are there after market accessories I could add to add to the beauty of this car?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Look at it this way - On one hand you are getting a REAL sedan and on the other are pseudo-sedans built by doing some cosmetic patch up to the hatchbacks. Linea has it's inspiration from the Punto no doubt, but it is much more than a simple paste-a-boot job.

Go for the classic+. Enjoy the Linea.

Cheers.
    5 people like this.
  3. anoop

anoop Superiore

I would say good decision - stick with Linea Classic. Any day, a Linea is better than Dzire and Amaze. About dash board, I am not sure how wooden trims will look like, but there are few members here who have done some chrome \ sticker work on the dash to make it look better.

One more plus point is that, you can spend as per your budget and can get a tailor made music system - personally, I will prefer this over the OEM musice system any day and twice on sunday ;)
  4. Sujay

Sujay Amatore

New Delhi
    Any given day Linea is much better than the Amaze or Dzire products. Linea is the best in its segment not only because of its tank type built but also its handling and other driving dynamics. It is so safe on road.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. vaibhavv4u

vaibhavv4u

Bangalore
    Chrome stickers sounds interesting! Would love to see what people have used. I suppose I'll have to browse the forums for them. And I totally agree about the music system! The Fiat sales guy said he could install Sony or Pioneer systems before the delivery of the vehicle at possible discounts (yes more discounts). Fingers crossed.
  6. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Vaibhav, First of all Welcome to TFI.
    Please write your short description in the introduction section.

I would say just dont buy the car which fits in your budget.
    List down your requirements (including vitamin M) and compare which suits your taste.
    Whats your running (city and highway)?

If its not more than 1000 you can also have a look at Linea t-jet dynamic which is landing at 7.8L.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

It is for the 1.4L FIRE Dynamic bro. Not the Jet. :)
  8. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
  9. dnyanesh666

dnyanesh666

Mumbai
    While comparing the Linea with cars like the DZire and the Amaze, there are a couple of thing that set you thinking
    1. You get an exclusive Sedan which does not look like any hatch (though it is based on the Punto)
    2. In the classic, you get a Full Sized sedan unlike the others where the company does not pass on the benefits they receive from the Govt. for a sub 4meter car.

I would certainly bet my money on the Linea Classic as it is a more VFM package.
    2 people like this.
  10. vaibhavv4u

vaibhavv4u

Bangalore
    I run about 1500 kms per month. Some months can go close to 2000 kms. I have to travel to our factory 2-3 times a week which is a trip of 60 kms one way. Linea Dynamic has a On road of close to 10. Well over the company budget :(. Can't convince the company to spend as much even if I wanted to. Probably can't have them stretch it to fit the classic+ either.

Maybe I should try and push the sales guy for more discounts?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013