1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying a Car. No Fiat though.

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by amit, May 30, 2012.

1. sathya_sc

Wait for the Renault Duster (just a month away). The size is just perfect. With respect to space and height, it will fit the bill perfectly. It will be available in 85 and 110 ps. and will be priced at around 11 L OTR looks like. And one more news, 0-100 is around 11.5 secs!

Even I am contemplating a new car to accompany my T-Jet by July / August types and have test driven almost all cars in the 10-15L range. Today, did a test of

Yeti - I was simply blown by the drivability of the car.. one word was awesome.. I never knew that the car had good petential. I was awestruck.
    Cruze - Simply a rocket. Nothing can come close. For a power craver, Cruze is the destination under 15L. Period.
    Jetta - All rounder with a hefty price tag.
    Vento - Sorry to say, Steering is like a toy. Not a car for me personally.
    Rapid - a good all round sedan that packs a mighty punch, but Skoda horror haunts me.
    Fluence - I simply fell in love except for the engine which is not comparable to Cruze - effect of driving both of them b2b. Overall, a superb sedan. Feels like a CAR and not like a toy.
    XUV 500 - All rounder again. Ahead in the race along with Cruze and Fluence in the order.

After all these, I am very eagerly waiting for the Duster to make my decision.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Bala

Bala Esperto

If the aunty is your friend,ask her to buy a Maruti Ertiga(peace of mind,plus a kind of tall boy design)
    If she is your enemy,it should be a Force One!
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Sathya, did you TD Hyundai Santa Fe? Are you not considering this? ;)
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Considering how Renault usually overprice their cars i reckon the Duster will be no exception.

The fluence at 14-15Lacs? OTR is simply a ripoff and a daylight robbery.

But, whatever floats the boat of people who purchase it.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Test drove the Maruti Ertiga yesterday.

- Tall boy design. Getting in and out of the car is just PERFECT. You neither climb up & into the car like the SUV's or even the Innova and neither do you bend in to get inside the car like the sedans. You just walk into it. Just PERFECT!

- Very good to drive. I did read various reports on how the engine is sluggish at low rev's but didn't notice any such major turbo lag. There were 4 people in the car and pick up from slow speeds in second gear was quite decent.

- Butter smooth clutch and very nice gear shift that goes click click into the slots.

- Middle row that slides back for more room.

- EPS was pretty decent. Yes, like any EPS it is a bit dull and dis connected but compared to my earlier SX4 (which I believe has, even today, the worst power steering I have ever driven in my life) this one was quite decent.

- Seats seriously lack under thigh support. For a mini MPV that is expected to do long distance's, seat comfort should not have been compromised.

- Third row has absolutely no room & is only for kids. I am 5' 10" and even with second row pushed fully forward I was not comfortable in the third row.

- With all the three row's up there is no room in the boot. You can at the most put an overnight bag in there. So if there are 5-6 people going out on a trip, you can either carry luggage or 5-6 people with you. This kind of put's it out of the taxi market IMO - maybe that's what Maruti wanted?

I think Maruti should have a variant with the third row removed. Give the middle seat more space to slide & thus create more room and just keep the boot open so you can carry more luggage. This will be a niche market but worth exploring.

In my books, the Ertiga is now the front runner for the new car. It ticks the right boxes for someone looking for comfort with tall boy design & a diesel engine for about 10 lakhs OTR.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Just keep the third row folded or remove it completely and you can use the seat for something like :p:

The major grouse with hatchbacks is the lack of boot space when a long trip is planned and consequently major luggage. For a family of upto 4, the Ertiga can carry all four + their entire luggage easily. It's not humongous in size either and that's what appeals to me.

7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    That's what appeals to me too. I guess Maruti has launched the Ertiga as an alternative to the C segment sedans. It is way more comfortable to be in then my City, has an diesel engine & like you said it can carry 4 people with a lot of luggage in way more comfort then any sedan can ever aspire to. Anyone, looking to buy a sedan for around 8 to 10 lakhs should give the Ertiga a VERY serious look. Only problem I see is it will not have the status symbol image of a sedan.

Forgot to mention this. A plastic clasp in the right rear door arm rest - the one you use to pull the door to shut it had come out of it's socket. It's not a big deal for me, just wondering what would have happened if this was a Fiat! ;)
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  8. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Linea 1.3
    That is because of the shorter gear ratios in the initial gears to hide the turbo lag. But, I think the turbo lag is evident with 5/6 on board. I felt the fun of driving beyond 1900/2000 RPM. With the Longer gear ratios in 4th and 5th gear, it was smooth on the highway. Even overtaking was very easy at say 80-100KM/hr speed.

But if I remember correctly, with the third row folded, the second row can't be fully pushed back. Secondly, there may already be a huge waiting time, though MS is not selling it for commercial purpose initially.
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

In case u forgot.., Linea's seat can also be pushed forward.. for better space for rear passenger..

I always felt Linea to be a comfortable car for both driver and Passenger.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    To be frank, Linea is a drivers car, not suitable for a chauffeur driven kind of usage. I like the Ertiga for the fact that it can carry 4 people and feels really roomy inside, with loads of space for luggage.
    A no to Rapid, again simply because its chauffer driven. Why not the Innova 6 seater?