1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Buying a Car. No Fiat though.

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by amit, May 30, 2012.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Who needs a new car?

- My aunt.

Why a new car is needed?

- The current car, 2008 SX4 is old and PETROL powered. The SX4 is will be transferred to someone in our company.

What's needed from the new car?

- The car is always going to be chauffer driven hence comfort is priority number 1. Tall boy preferred.

- Budget is upto 10 to 10.5 lakhs on road.

- Diesel engine.

- It will be driven mainly in city for short distances with a run to Lonavala twice / thrice a month.

Being the car nut in the family, I was asked to suggest some cars.

My recommendations:

1.) Nissan Sunny.

2.) Skoda Rapid.

3.) Maruti Ertiga.

Nissan Sunny: Checked out the car and found it supreme in comfort. The back seat is a luxurious place to be and it has a huge boot too. The Sunny is actually a CAAAR :). Drove the car and it's a DUD but that's not a concern at all. Turbo lag is minimal and the car is going to be sprightly in City. In short, this was the leading contender and was leading in all requirements except that it's not a tall boy.

Skoda Rapid: I call JMD. They take my number and say sales will call you. No calls till evening. I call Skoda helpline and things move. Next day I get a call from the dealer and I ask them to email me the price list. That takes another day to arrive. Nothing after that. I told the dealer i need to test drive the car, dealer said we will co-ordinate with you. It's been 3 days and no calls. Maybe Skoda is selling a lot of Diesels. Wonder why Fiat is bad mouthed for not responding!

Maruti Ertiga: I call the S.K.Maruti, Navi Mumbai. They say price list will be emailed to me shortly. I say I want to test drive the car at my office which is about 4-5 kms from the showroom. The sales guy says that is not possible as it's a new car and many people are coming to see & drive it in the showroom so management has said the car cannot be taken to customers for a test drive! I tell them the car will be bought by the MD of the company (My uncle) so I don't know the logic behind expecting people to come to the showroom. Sales guy say's he can't do anything about it! Anyway, a few hours later, I get a brain wave and I send my colleage to check the car & ask him to take the test drive and bring the car to my factory where we can check it out. Clearly, they cannot stop the customer from driving it to where he wants! That shows how illogical the 'car cannot leave showroom for test drive's' logic is. Anyway, my colleague goes and comes back and tells me demo car is in Pune for some road show! So much for car cannot go 5 kms for a test drive to a customer but can travel 150 kms to Pune for a road show! Didn't Maruti have showrooms in Pune too?! Anyway, I am going to see the car in person now. Will update tomorrow.

If you guys have any suggestions based on our requirements do let me know!

Thanks.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    why not a linea in consideration?
  3. Hi Amit,

I booked M Ertiga ZDI on 14th April 2012. Today I inquired about the delivery, they said still you need to wait more, being very few ZDI dispatched from factory. on 14th its too late for me to take Test Drive, thus today I checked the LUV and found decent and better than Swift, NVH is very very low, turbo kick after 2K RPM, and It have 90HP Engine. Pickup wise its OK or better than Punto 2009.

I though AC is bit week, they are saying it kept under open sky thus hot and it will take some more time to cool.

So if you have links in Maruti / dealership you will get early delivery, else you need to wait.

Sunny also a good option and I think off the self its available, but recently I saw 2 advt for resell 15 ~ 30 days old Sunny, offering around 1.6L less than showroom price, I don't know why they are selling and quoted price directly in advt with "No broker" tag.

All the best.
  4. Please don't miss to TD Rapid. I happened to take my friend's Rapid for a spin and I loved the pick-up, its really RAPID. I think it meets all your requirements and will be definitely good to drive around in the city.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Why not to go for an SUV?
    Yeti could be one contender.
    "No FIAT" is not a good idea. You should explain your aunt it's most important aspect, it's safety!
    People at her age definitely starts valuing such aspects because a family rides in a car.
  6. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Out of the three cars, I would suggest the Skoda Rapid. It outshines the Sunny in almost all respects.

It is comfortable at the back, has got decent interiors, better handling and feels a wee bit more 'upmarket' than the CAAR.
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    What's wrong with Linea MJD Emotion?
    It fits the budget, is the safest and the most good looking and the ride quality & rear seat comfort are good. It may be slightly under powered compared to other sedans in the segment for a true Driver's car but for your aunt it should do the trick. Safety is important!
    No offense to Linea owners, please don't murder me. I am only referring to the BHP data for sedans in that price range. And Nissan Sunny is seriously underpowered.
    Rapid is not Skoda's best work. They are about to launch the real rapid as Octavia but the launch dates are hazy. Vento then?
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Tata Manza - The Super Sedan

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    from the list given by you my choice would be Ertiga. Adjustable middle row is great +
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Why not Fiesta?