1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Burgundy to Blue: The makeover of my GTX!

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by 5u3zEr0, Sep 7, 2014.

1. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    @GP_Freak : Nice post. Your track experience clearly shows through.

@ asimpleson : Thanks very much! It's been so many years and I don't remember correctly, but I think dB drag racing and IASCA are independent sound off outfits.
    asimpleson likes this.
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Its Racing experience Buddy :D
    varunrtr and 5u3zEr0 like this.
  3. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet

JUNE 2007: It’s been three years since I bought the Palio and it was time to change my car. I like to change cars every three years so I buy used cars with low mileage, which are well maintained and around two years old. This way I don’t lose too much money on the cars when I sell them and I can spend freely on customization. So now I started searching for a used fast petrol car to better the Palio.

Now after driving the hot hatch the Palio 1.6 is, I wanted a car which would at least match it and it had to be a petrol car. So I started looking around for cars but the choices were limited, there was the Skoda Octavia vRS which was quite expensive (15L OTR), brand new and in the used car market it had still not percolated or were rare as it was launched in 2005. There was the Ford Ikon 1.6 which was quite a car to drive but I had some reservations and so I was not keen on it. The Fiesta 1.6 was also there, I think then. The Civic had just been launched a year back and was beyond my budget as well. Then there was the super fun to drive but light second generation City Vtec but I could not find something I liked and being a Honda it had good resale value and it’s sellers wanted silly amounts of money for a used car, which I didn’t want to pay. I even went and test drove another Palio 1.6 GTX SP which had ABS and I was hoping it had rear disc brakes also but no, they were drums just like mine. So I let it go.

After searching around a bit, a thought struck me what if I keep the Palio for a couple of more years and instead of spending money on another car, spend again on the Palio itself and make it unique and faster :D. I let the thought be, for a few more weeks. As time passed and without any other good options coming my way, this thought became stronger and seemed a more fun alternative. I also was curious as I had never done something so vast like this before and wanted to give it a try.

Finally took the bait and started speaking to the folks at the private garage where I got my cars serviced. They were a multi brand car service center and also big time into performance tuning and were regulars at the races at the MMSC and the Kari Speedway. Through the years, I could see the city’s hot cars and performance tuned cars there. as it was on the main road to work and I passed by it twice daily. Seeing those hot looking and fast cars regularly would make me salivate and this was also an important factor in me choosing to go confidently all out with the Palio. I discussed with them what I wanted and got quotes from them and then prices from the market for the other stuff which I wanted to change.

So it was then decided I think sometime in July 2007 that I would keep the Palio for a few more years and make the changes or additions to it. And the list was finally made:

1) Change the colour of the entire car – One single colour completely and no two colour combinations. Wanted a clean look.

2) Paint the stone guard also in the same colour, which originally is in black and the complete spoiler.

3) Paint the front brake calipers and the rear brake drums.

4) Upsize the OE 14” alloy wheels to 15” alloy wheels.

5) Upsize the tyres to 195/55 r15 instead of the earlier 185/60 r14.

6) Make headers for the exhaust system.

7) Change the exhaust muffler and the entire piping from the headers.

8) Change the Ractive air filter to a Evotion conical air filter.

9) Change the HU from the Pioneer to a Kenwood MP3 CD & USB player with three 4V preouts.

10) Add a pair of tweeter’s to the ICE as I was missing some high notes in my car which I could hear in my new home audio setup.

11) Change the Premier amplifier to an Alpine V12, as the Premier had started giving some trouble.

And then the Palio finally went to the Garage in the Burgundy shade for the last time.......

Okay, I think the post has become quite long. I will just leave you with this:

teky, prabhjot, ramjn and 3 others like this.
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @GP_Freak, i guess you got to start a thread on your racing career ... if you dont mind, whats your actual name?
    @Subzero, thread is getting interesting, just like our teky's gtx which went from green to blue. Quite eager to see the finished up pic ;) . i see a lot more mods coming up on your Tjet as well !! do you guys still track? if not, head for one in the jet !!
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Interesting read there Subzero. I liked the color as well, is that the same shade which came as OE for Palio?

Did you actually sell this car after doing all this?
  6. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    @ teky: Thanks! Yes the burgundy is an OE shade, I think it was called Flame Red. And yes, I sold the car after a couple of years minus the ICE.