1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Burgundy to Blue: The makeover of my GTX!

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by 5u3zEr0, Sep 7, 2014.

1. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    2007 June: It was time to look for a new car after three years of using my immensely satisfying Palio 1.6 GTX with 100 horses, the most powerful hatch during its time! It was time for change, to move on…...

2004 May: I bought my Burgundy Palio 1.6 GTX from one of three friends who had bought three Palio’s together, a fern green, a black and a burgundy, all GTX’s and all three wanted to sell within nine months of purchase! I got the impression from them that they could not feed it the petrol and one of them was already converted to run on LPG.

It was too good to be true for me as I was in the market for a used hot hatch. I test drove the green and burgundy as black was out of the question. We finally decided on the burgundy one and brought her home. She was as good as new just around nine months old and done only 5130 kms (I still remember moment I read it on the odometer vividly). Now buying a Fiat in those days was frowned upon moreover the PETROL GTX but what people didn’t know was the ability of the Palio to plaster a big grin on your face when you power out of a corner, so I let people be and think what they want.

The ECR was my favourite hunting ground with it, with all those twisties between Mahabalipuram and Marakanam and some really tight turns (these turns were subsequently ironed out to curves). Ten years back the traffic used to be thin and at nights it felt like a video game with those reflectors on the road lighting up and aiding you as you drive. Down shifting to third, braking hard into a corner and then powering out of it on full throttle up to the redline and listening to that glorious exhaust note. No turbo, just a high revving naturally aspirated engine, with a pull from 3000 rpm up to the limiter with a gentle shove in the back as it propels you forwards. Ah, that sublime ride and handling with that heavy, responsive steering.

After getting it, I started customizing the car, changed the air filter to a Ractive conical air filter, removed the catalytic coverter and changed the exhaust muffler to a custom made one. I also changed the stock tyres to Dunlop Formula FM901 185/60 R14 uni directional tyres which had great grip, were stiffer and looked much better.

Before all this the first thing I did a couple of days after I got the car was put my big BASS sound system in it. The Palio has a very stiff body and hence it had very good acoustics and no vibration. This was what my ICE comprised of in it then:

Pioneer KEH-P8950 Cassette HU
    Pioneer CDX P680 6 Disc CD changer
    Premier 414 4 channel Amplifier
    MTX Thunder 2150x Two channel Amplifier
    Blaupunkt Tx200 8” Three way Speaker system
    Cerwin Vega "Vega" 124 Subwoofer
    MTX EBC- External Bass Control
    Scosche distribution Block
    Scosche power and signal cables

This system was moved from my earlier car a Zen, with some minor additions. To house those big 8” speakers, a custom made enclosure was made and the front door pads were cut into half to accommodate them. The sub woofer needed a big 1.25 cubic feet ported enclosure for its optimum performance and hence it used the entire boot space. Turned up I could literally feel the bass flowing through the car and it got pretty loud. I clocked around 137db with this subwoofer in a sound off competition.

The car was fast, sounded great and the music was sweet to listen to, it was perfect. There were obviously downsides to it but the pros out weighed the cons.

To be continued..................
  2. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Good start 5u3zEr0...Waiting for the remaining story :)
  3. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks Kailas!

Continuing after a long gap so without much ado, here are some photo's of my "original" Burgundy GTX. I am just average at taking photo's and the first three photo's were all taken with my phone camera so the quality is just average.

The Palio outside my home, photo taken at noon so the snap has too much white:

Palio Sideways.jpg

A photo showing the Dunlop's uni directional tread:

Palio full angle.jpg
    The engine bay with the Ractive Conical air filter:

Engine bay.JPG

I have driven around the Madras Motor Sports Club race track a few times in the Palio and it was quite exhiliaring and a big adrenaline rush. Taking the Palio to its limit was quite fun but it feels so slow on a race track! Driving around a race track hard, takes a big toll on the tyres and in my Palio's case the left front which takes the maximum brunt on this track was shredding in the outer wall after a few laps. Here are some snaps :

Palio on track 3 edit.jpg

Palio on track 4.jpg
    Palio on the track.JPG

Another thing which happened was the fuel pipe burst after a few hard laps!:(

Next set of photo's would be the ICE.
  4. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Last photo is just awesome. Man it still looks so good.
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  5. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks mchanna!

This setup of ICE in my Palio, won me First place in the Db Drag 2004 sound off competition which was held in Taj Coromandel, Madras along with the AV max Expo. Db drag is a competition in which the sound pressure level (SPL) in your car is measured in terms of decibel. There is also a Sound Quality (SQ) competition conducted by Db Drag but that was not held that time.

In SPL competition’s the smaller speakers are ideally disconnected as only the sub woofers produce the BASS which increase the SPL. Bigger speakers move more air!

So in my stereo, I just had the MTX amp and the Cerwin Vega sub woofer playing along with the HU and I could control the bass level with my external bass control connected directly to my sub amp. Since I had only one sub in my car I competed in the one sub category and not too sound "haughty", but I decimated the other car by I think around 10db to 15db which is a big difference in car SPL competitions. As I was then requested to also compete with a Lancer in the multi sub category as there was no other competitor in that category. The Lancer had four subs but to my surprise my sub clocked a little more than the Lancer and I clocked 137db. I beat it and man what a feeling that was and the owner of the other car was zapped!

I got a nice trophy for my win and the event was covered in the AV Max and Overdrive magazine's in the June or July 2004 issue.

Here are the snaps:

The brain of the setup, the Pioneer 8950 HU with a 4v pre-out and was hooked to a CDX-P650 6 cd changer under the front seat.

kehp89503ig.jpg

The dashboard, note the sporty metal pedals of the GTX:

dashboard9ft.jpg

Close up of the brilliant 8" Blaupunkt TX200 Three way Speakers, which produced good bass just by themselves:

tx2006sz.jpg
    The door pads were cut and this fibreglass enclosure was made to house these huge speakers:

leftdoor7lb.jpg

The remote on the centre roof light, stuck with velcro by me:

remote2xa.jpg

The heart of the setup the two amps, the Premier 4 channel and the MTX 2 channel. Also in the picture the scosche distribution block:

amplifiers8oz.jpg

The ported sub woofer enclosure for the Cerwin Vega sub woofer filling up the entire boot space:

subportedbox3oo.jpg

The brawn of the setup the big bad Vega sub!
    subwoofer11nk.jpg
  6. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    My Trophy :

12102014361.JPG
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  7. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Congratulation Buddy. What a proud moment!!
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks mchanna! Yup it was a big moment for me when I was called and handed over the trophy and especially the looks when I trumped the car with a much bigger setup.

This happened ten years back and how quickly time has gone by and things have changed.
  9. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Its bound to Happen. MMRT is a clockwise track. C1,Big C,C12 are all high-speed right handers. C2 and C8 are High to slow speed right handers where you need to brake like hell. Especially the C8 because that back straight after the Big C is the fastest area in the circuit and its also a technical right-hander. Brake early and you are overtaken by the guy who is tailing you and coming in the slipstream and brake a little bit too late and you are off the track. Puff.!!!

Braking and turning in to the Corners will surely shred the tyres, If you are aggressive, its very easy to shred the tires completely. The best strategy will be to brake early, hold throttle in corner and accelerate like hell out of corner. This for some adrenalin driving and not for racing.But in bikes, its the right side which is eaten like hell in the track.

Palio is clearly not for the track with its Heavy body and the damn long throw Clutch and gear. Not just Palio, any Fiat sold in India will not fare in track.

This is a place where the 1.6s will be faster than a Jet.
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Is that an IASCA co-organised event. Term Pro is IIRC a subwoofer box design software by IASCA.

Congrats for the win...! :happy:
    5u3zEr0 likes this.