1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Even I have got all the struts of lower GC made by MM. It is the antiroll bar that the FASS in unable to procure. When the spares guy places an order for ARB with older part number, it automatically gets converted into newer(high GC) and delivered to FASS from Fiat.
    So I am running the high GC ARB and low GC struts( with smaller bushes). No issues there except the car slopes fwd quite a lot. The wheel well gap at the rear is bigger than what I observe in Puntos of 2011 and before. The car feels a bit nose heavy if the rear bench is not occupied.
    @jumu Was there a rear anti roll bar also in the cars of 2009? Whenever I drive my colleague's 2009 Punto, the ride quality is just amazingly plush.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @platinumshine, actually there is no change in the ARB pre and post GC, that is why the orders are getting into default setting for despatch at FIAT. Am not sure if there is an ARB in my car. If post 2010 has ARB, and pre 2010 has no ARB and you like the 2009 suspension, then you can try out by removing the ARB in your car.

Abdul
  3. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    I've contacted Mohandas Fiat, Trivandrum for changing to pre 2012 suspension and I gave them these part numbers, but they told the part numbers for front struts have changed. Price is also doubled.

uploadfromtaptalk1425220564465.jpg
  4. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    That's good news 99rpm is back.

BTW, @platinumshine do you have an update on the front ARB?
    any problem due to the heavy front nose?
  6. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

@pdydeva at FASS they have ARB with single part number. any new procurement defaults to ARB that comes with high GC.
    No problems with the seemingly heavier front nose as of yet. the car feels more stable when the rear bench is occupied though.
  7. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    Thank you. I ordered 4 struts and 2 bump stops, and a few other parts.
  8. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Well my car being a 2012 model came with crappy high gc setup. Used that for 35k kms and shifted to old pre 2012 kit of Cofap. At first i got all four struts and no ARB. Car swinged like hell on road with the wrong ARB, the steering had no control left it used to feel. Later I got the pre 2012 ARB fitted and that solved everything and steering became back to normal. And yes the ARB is different for both the setups and there is also very small difference in length of both ARBs, i cheked that myself.
    Now my car has done 92000kms and the setup is going great and I had ZERO scrappings so far. So its again not entirely true that GC upgrade kit is a necessity, atleast for me it never turned out to be. And mind you, my car went from no roads of Himachal to huge bumps of Delhi lot of times. Just be a lil carefull and know the limitations of GC, you will be safe always.
    Rest, old GC struts are still available at some centers, atleast here in Chd, Wheels Fiat Mohali, it is available off the counter for old price. Brand is Cofap.
    kunwar.g likes this.
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    With such comments from you @sunswape its tempting me more. So, I need some help from you guys. Attaching pics of the parts from 99rpm here and please advise what all parts would be needed to move to older suspension set-up.

Other important thing i observed is that though 99rpm lists the suspension of 1.4 fire and 1.3 mjd seperately the part numbers are same. Does that mean that both 1.4Fire and 1.3MJD use the same suspension parts. Though Diesel engines are heavier than the Petrol ones

Unable to find the ARB listed on 99rpm. Any idea of approx cost. Someone I met at the FASS had got the GC upgrade done and only the four shockers were changed the ARB was not changed. Wonder why ?

Here is a list of all the parts that I think need to be changed + the ARB which i cant find on 99rpm

Front
    1 x Shock Absorber Front Lh| 59089793 +Rs. 1,290.00
    1 x Shock Absorber Front Rh| 59089795 +Rs. 1,290.00
    2 x Rubber Pad| 51866009| 51775545| 51814458 +Rs. 864.00
    2 x Protection Ring| 59117182 +Rs. 74.00

Rear
    2 x Shock Absorber Rear| 59089724| 51814580 +Rs. 3,980.00

punto__1.3_mulrijet_suspension_front_1.jpg

Front Suspension.jpg

suspension_rear_punto.jpg

Rear suspension.jpg
  10. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

You will curse yourself for not changin the high GC kit, after you expereince what a normal GC is like. And I sourced ARB through my contacts in FASS ;-) I just asked the mechanics to look out for ARB of old kit, if someone switches to high GC. I made the change in the end of 2012 and even then old ARB was no longer in the spare list FIAT provided. So if you plan to go for old setup, make sure to source old ARB from somewhere otherwise stick with you current one. ARB mismatch will rob your steering stability big time.
    Btw I paid the mechanic 3000rs who sourced the old almost new ARB for me. A lil on higher side for an used psrt BUT till today its paying me back :-D So just ask the mechanics around and dont hasitste to strike a deal with them if you're serious about going back to old setup. Mechanics always have an edge over everything.

Cheers.
    kunwar.g likes this.