1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    One has to feel to believe something.
    Now, I have to agree and admit that my Linea have now become bumpy post the upgrade to new GC setup. And yes, it is more bumpy in low speed.

I totally agree here.

Happening to me now.

I have to agree this theory totally. I don't see any USP with the new GC except that it can handle bad roads without scraping. I didn't have issue with the old 161mm GC though.

Totally possible. What should have happened is, his old suspension setup should have gone bad by becoming too soft which will increase the body roll and also the car may sway a little. But, when you switch over to this new suspension with increased GC, he might have felt this to be better.

Only person I know in this category till date is linealover. That, again is debatable. I, for the one upgraded to 2012 setup, totally unhappy now.
    1 person likes this.
  2. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

@platinumshine, @imranshks: Can you guys post a small review on 6 months of driving with the changes suspension?

IIRC, platinumshine is running his cars on lower GC MagnetiMarelli struts without anti-roll bar change and imranshks is having improved GC MagnetiMarelli struts alone. Correct me if I'm wrong and kindly post you experience. Thanks a lot in advance.
  3. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

I am happy with the Magneti Marrelli struts I am using (post 2012 GC). Recently on Chennai road, I could do 170km/hr with confidence on the high GC struts.

I have no plans to go back to old GC and my next set of struts (in case i replace) also would be the same, Magneti Marelli. Also, last time when I inquired at Aadya, they had post 2012 Magneti Marelli struts in stock, so I guess endurance is gone for good :)

P.S you still can't compare the ride and handling with the old GC, that suspension setup was wonderful indeed, but for peace of mind on speed breakers or bad roads, the setup I am running on, is serving its purpose well.

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    5 people like this.
  4. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

hi pdydeva,
    I have gone for all four MM struts with old GC. I haven't changed the anti roll bar (ARB) yet.

1. no bumpy or stiff ride at low speeds. it soaks the potholes/ uneven tarmac damn neatly! high speed ride quality or handling was never a problem for me as such; it gets marginally better!
    2. Lesser wheel well gap. Punto looks more chic :)

1. 1000 km into the old setup and the ARB bushes started to make noise, whenever I go over a speed breaker ( not potholes). It has been 6 months and over 8000 km now, that noise surfaces periodically. I checked with FASS, the part numbers for old and new ARB end with #94 and #95 respectively. When the spares guy ordered for #94 ARB, he said his order got converted to #95 and he received the ARB for high GC ( which I already have). I haven't checked it personally but they say the length of low and high GC ARBs differ marginally.

2. Another thing is that, the wheel well gap at front has reduced due to reduced height of struts. but at the back the wheel well gap is more or less the same still. The height of rear struts for both low and high GC is the same. This makes the car slope forward so much that I am getting the feeling that it is nose heavy when solo driven. If there are people at the back, the car drives much more planted.

for #1 and 2 I will get it checked in next week when I am visiting for 3rd free service. I recently heard that the new GC kit for Punto comes with rear springs too. not sure if there is height difference there. It will be good to hear from Driv3R and sunswape on these two points.

3. As Imran pointed out, the low gc tells you to be a bit more careful in tackling potholed roads. since I drive mostly solo in Pune city and NH4 with family I went ahead with low gc which leaves less chances of underbody scraping. and so far I haven't managed to scrape more than twice, that too very minor (touchwood). My i20 has a gc of 168mm and Punto is at 171 now; the i20 never scraped yet.

all in all I am very happy with the reduced gc struts; gives a fantastic feeling when take curves in ghats, or uneven roads the ride quality is great, just that you have to be bit careful.
    I haven't given away the original high gc struts yet, my wife someday wants to have the Punto as the daily drive for her and I am sure she will not be as keen as I to hit the brakes approaching a speedbreaker :)

will update more after 3rd service visit next week.
    reggaerahul and pdydeva like this.
  5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

Thanks @imranshks and @platinumshine. I've realized the 'not so good' ride quality of my 2012 Punto only when I drove some other premium hatchback on same roads. Still, I haven't got a chance to drive pre-2012 Punto. As you have mentioned, when driven alone, the bumps are more pronounced. Now that I've tasted the comfort, I'm thinking of mentioning the issue in the upcoming 3rd service and if possible push for a replacement (with Magneti marelli struts) under warranty.

@platinumshine: Apart from the rear wheel well gap, I hope the stiffness has reduced.

@Imran: I have your number. If possible, I'd like to meet you sometime this week and take pointers :)

Anybody, who has driven pre-2012 and 2012 puntos, can you please confirm regarding the nose heaviness?
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

@pdydeva anytime sir. I would be happy to help :)

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
  7. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

8. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

Here are the easy steps to identify your front suspension make without removing any wheels:

1. Steer the front wheel to complete right

2. For the right shock absorber's make, flash light from front of wheel well and look for the logo as shown

3. For the left shock absorber's make, flash light from rear side of the wheel well and look for the logo as shown

You must be able to see the maker's logo as shown below in the pictures:

Magneti marelli:

- - - Merged Post - - -

I had been to Vecto yesterday with complaints of hard suspension and some noise from rear while slowly passing pot holes or humps.

After few test drives and inspections, they have replaced the following parts under warranty:
    1. Front LHS shock absorber strut (part no: 59117276 from Magneti marelli)
    2. Front RHS elastic pad (part no:
    3. Rear thrust rings on both the sides (part no:

I can very well feel better ride quality now. Also, I believe the rear thrust rings have solved the noise while passing over pot holes/humps. Thanks to Vecto team.

I have a question to the experts though. As pictured above, my car's front LHS has Magneti marelli and RHS has Endurance struts. Will that create a problem to use 2 different manufacturer struts (considering Imran's opinion about the softness of Magneti marelli)?
    I cannot really make out any difference after driving alone (no pull at least). I will check with occupants in the front passenger seat and update.

Kindly share your opinion.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  9. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

^^^ The design parameters are provided by Fiat to the vendor, In this case MM or Endurance-MM ( until the JV existed). Unless FIAT alters the specs, the vendor won't change a thing about the shocks. this is what the customer facing person at Magneti Marelli told me. So technically you have identical shocks at front.
    However we have different observations in this thread by fellow TFIans.

Since you are feeling better with the ride quality now, I think you can go ahead and change the LHS strut also to MM only if you want.
  10. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

Thanks buddy for that information. Yes, I wouldn't say there is day and night difference, but something's better than previous. May be the front elastic pads are playing some role too.

BTW, I'm keen to know what exactly is the role of the elastic pad in mcpherson system? I can't get much information about elastic pad/strut mount etc,.