1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    That's about 12K for 4 Tyres and I have really no complainst with my Goodyear tyres. I think I will continue with them till I feel the tyres are causing some issues.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    There is no issue with Goodyear GT3. It gives good road grip. The only pain is the excessive noise it generates after 15k kms.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. soori

soori

Dubai
    Update:

Got the tire inspected. There seems to be no issues with the tire. The engineer was really good in interaction and tried to help in all possible ways.

Now I'm wondering is the suspension so hard? I took the test drive if 2011 Punto 90HP, 2011 Punto Active 1.2 with JK tires, Linea emotion 2011. It was behaving the same way. Finally, a friendly doc who had visited the A.S.S offered me his new Punto 1.3MJD active for a drive. Though I preferred to be a co-passenger, the car behaved the same way and this was the first time he noticed that the car was not driving flat in the smooth surface.

Now my question is about the suspension. Is the suspension so hard that it carries all the minor (read flat) road undulation to the chassis and you feel as if the car is wobbling?

Now everyone who I've interacted say that they never observed this issue earlier and noticed it only after I pointed it. :confused: The dealer will be submitting DIR to Fiat and fiat engineers might inspect my car. Hope this is not the way all Punto rides and I've to settle with this till my entire ownership.

For those who want to check this, drive the car in a smoother good road in neutral. Best felt at around 40km/h
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    What car did you own before owning Punto?

The rear suspension of Punto make the "thud" noise when you do higher speed on uneven surfaces. This is common across all Punto's and not a problem at all.
  5. soori

soori

Dubai
    i20 1.2 sportz

Thud is common. But am speaking about the ride in smooth roads.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

I took test drive of one more punto 2012 dynamic. The ride is the same. I guess I was accustomed to the ride quality of i20 on lower speeds due to soft suspension.

I guess this is a behaviour of Punto due to stiff suspension.
  6. harry_1407

harry_1407 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @soori: I also observe harshness in ride quality when driving at low speeds over a small stones or an uneven patch but once the speed climbs i am unable to notice. Btw mine is a 90HP Sep 2011 model with 6K on odo.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I saw your issues as soon as you told that you owned an i20.

Again, Punto's suspension is stiff but the ride quality is impeccable. Not comparable with i20. If you are travelling alone, maintain tyre pressure of 30/31.
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Soori, It's funny sort of a way. May i suggest you a solution that would make the ride hell of a lot easier. Don't slow it down like other cars for regular undulations & if you don't feel it like it may scrap it's bottom. It will just glide like there is nothing undulated below it's tyres. For instance, if you were slowing down i20 from 60 kmph to 10-15 km/hr, don't do that in Punto. De-accelerate it to around 40-50 km/hr only & won't feel anything like bumps but just a sweet sound like gubb gubb gubb... & car feels so easy.

After 2-3 such trials, you will come to know all by yourself how to benefit yourself with this suspension set up. It's not hazardous for it's suspension at all. Slowing it down like other cars will make you feel bump every milli-second. Having said that it doesn't mean that you shouldn't slow it down at steep voids, I must clarify. You will get it clarified to yourself once you try that. Good luck..!!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  9. soori

soori

Dubai
    Thanks guys.

Can anyone atleast for my sake, drive the car at around 40 to 60 km/hr on the smooth surface (atleast by the appearance) and is if you feel the imperfections of the road? Or feel vibrations please? If yes, please mention the model, tire size and tire brand.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Am confused. Did you mean that the ride in slow speed is comfortable or smoother in Punto than i20?
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I meant to say the overall ride quality of Punto is very matured and not comparable with i20. i20 has got much softer suspension and you have driven the petrol version, which you might have felt much smoother on smooth road surface.