1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Glad to know that you are enjoying your ride bro :) little bit of caution on speed breakers and potholes and you are good to go.

My magneti marelli 2012 suspension is also great now, its soft when it has to be and hard at times when it has to be and GC I got as a bonus.
    I must admit that there's a bit of loss of handling and noticeable body roll too.
    The pre-2012 MM struts are just wow. I drove Driv3r's Punto with those struts and there was no sign of body roll at all plus the plush ride.

Cheers and happy miles ahead bro :)

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  2. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Thats great, I can definitely understand how you must be feeling these days :-D Its the best thing you have done with your Punto (apart from Remap). Please do get antiroll bar changed, as it still have some impact on the handling part and steering column. Better get it changed as we never know what wrong part is effecting what.

Enjoy the ride plus looks !! :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. Any updates on ridequality from members who have gone for the downgrade.. sorry upgrade..?? any other members who have gone for the pre-2012 setup after Sept2013? the thread seems dead..
  4. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

5. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

6. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

heya what impact do you think it may have? I believe the dimensions are same and they differ in strength (weight). Have you observed any difference after you got it changed in terms of noise reduction, steering accuracy or suspension? Please share.
  7. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Yes I do faced issues with the wrong one. My steering stability went for a toss and I realized this only when I got the proper one fitted. Potholes or uneven road and car's steering totally looses it stability. And this issue increased with time. So my advice, get that changed. Both are different for some reason.
  8. In my opinion, the Antiroll bars do differ and they do have a role in handling part. May look the same(as they have to fit in to the same chassis bodywork), but their torsional strengths will be different. This is something we cannot identify with a visual inspection(except for some weight difference which can be expected). The pre-2012 struts and AR bars will be perfectly mated and will give the right desirous result.
  9. If you run post-2012 struts with pre-2012 ARB, the higher travel of the suspension setup will be overloading the "less stiffer" ARB and it might twist/break over time. If you run pre-2012 struts with post-2012 ARB(as in most of the case), it may not create a mechanical damage, but your ride quality will not be as good as the pre-2012 strut/pre-2012 ARB combi, as the ARB will be stiffer than required. Thus, you can even better your drive quality if you have pre-2012 struts and pre-2012 ARB installed, which will be obviously the best bargain.

In my opinion(and i have already mentioned it before too), the ARB has a very significant role in resolving this issue. I dont think there is anybody here who has tried changing the ARB alone to pre-2012. Theoretically, this itself should enhance the ride quality. But this is not recommended, as it will increase roll on higher speeds and the ARB will be overloaded too.

So the best option is to go for pre-2012 struts along with pre-202 ARB to get the best possible results. Well, that was the original suspension design which made Punto the best in the handling part. :)

From a design point of view, balancing between ride quality and ride stability(roll etc) is the biggest challenge. FIAT used to get it always right, but they have screwed it now with the increased GC.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    4 people like this.
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    No bro, just got back home from Vecto motors. Drove the 2013 90HP that's TD vehicle there, and I must say FIAT has done a good job :) I suspect the culprits to be Endurance struts as I was not happy with 2011 Endurance struts too. They give that bumpy or jarring effect.

Just go to the service center and ask them if they have post 2012 Magneti Marelli struts and replace them with your current struts. That will show you instant results (Tyre pressure kept 32-33 psi).

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    2 people like this.