1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

Cost was a bit high as I sourced the front struts from external vendor. If the same is procured from service center it would cost as much as endurance. The availability is only concern.

The ride quality is as good as pre-2012 setup. No complains at all. It just glides over bad roads and the passengers inside are at ease. I did this exercise long back, just wanted to drive for 500 kms to conclude the same. Finally, issue resolved and am a happy Punto owner :D

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  2. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

I had that feeling on previous pair of struts. Now the ride is planted all the time. At any speeds there's no jarring effect at all.

3. Just wanted to get clarity.
    What is cofap? It is the company making the strut?
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

As far as i know, Cofap is suspension wing of Magneti Marelli. Just like AL manufactures headlamps etc which is again part of Magneti Marelli.

"Endurance was an Indian strut manufacturing company which had technical collaboration with cofap for manufacturing struts. Magneti Marelli took over endurance now" this was the statement by FIAT guy who called me recently, but if you visit the website of endurance, you will not see Magneti Marelli mentioned anywhere :) I still don't know whether its true !!!

1 person likes this.
  5. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

very happy for you Imran :) You've nailed it!
    I spoke with customer care Magnetti Marelli Pune today. He told me that earlier until end of 2012 MM and Endurance were in JV and the shocks had Endurance Copaf written on them. At end of 2012 or early 2013 MM and Endurance parted ways just like Fiat-TATA.
    He also said, the MM and Endu shocks are exactly same because they were manufactured under the same roof in an automated assembly. So he was not ready to accept that Endurance shocks could be stiffer ( or differently designed) than MM. I explained to him the fact what we've seen (which is better)!

Having asked him how to procure the MM struts now, he said the only way is via FASS. I cleared it that the FASSes at Pune don't have MM struts ( post2012) instead they have only Endurance. He has noted my contact number and he said he is visiting Fiat Factory today and should get back to me after talking to concerned person at Fiat.
    1 person likes this.
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

To know the difference, compress both endurance and MM struts and see the time taken for both to come back to normal position. You will find MM strut to be quicker than Endurance to return to normal position.

If FASS can source it for the needy customers like us, its much appreciated.

Cheers :thumbup:

7. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    My Linea 1.3 MJD is Jan 2013 Manufactured, yesterday I had a chance to inspect the Struct and Shock absorber when it was lifted to do tyre rotation. As expected the struts and shock absorbers are from Cofap, however I couldn't check if it had Endurance or Magnetti Marelli logo on it.

As far as I could mange to see it had 'Fiat Alfa','Cofap' & 'Made in India' written on it. On the Rear Left Side shock the part numbers were:
    Fiat Part Number: 51925076
    EMM Part Number: 1240218006

Any idea about the manufacturer from the part number? I haven't compared the ride quality with Low GC Linea and couldn't say the difference, however I feel that the ride is bouncy at lower speeds on bad roads.
  8. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Very sorry for replying so damn late, just saw your quote. The trouble I faced with mismatch anti roll bar is that car felt unable to keep straight path on uneven or broken roads. Like under steering it used to gave me feeling of car trying to drag as per unevenness of road, later after getting the correct anti roll bar, things have become normal. Thou I drove 15000kms before getting matching roll bar :-D
  9. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Rear shocks also got change today to Pre 2012 setup and there is so much change in the behavior of the car. Ride has become even more stable and there is literally no jarring effect left in the car while going over broken roads or potholes. Everything undulation is being soaked FIAT way now :-D
    So to wrap everything in one post;
    Mine being a 2012 model came with shitty raised GC suspension setup. At beginning I didn't realized much but soon after driving my friend's 2010 model, I realized what has been compromised for raised GC. The changes I felt were
    1. Stiff ride quality, every undulation of road is passed into the cabin, even minor undulations on road surface were jolting passengers in the car. Thou the ride used to become smooth post 80kmph speed but then how much time of the day one can drive at such speeds, specially within city WHEREAS now my Punto is stable at low speeds and gets even better once speed increases.
    2. Handling definitely got hurt by the raised GC setup and now I can say I have experienced it very well. Thou the handling with increased GC is still very very good, but after experiencing normal GC setup I can very well feel the difference at the every corner Iam going too.
    3. Earlier car from rear always felt nervous while taking a corner on a lil high speeds, thou the front always used to be sharp but rear was not ! Now its gripping very very well from rear too, at least I felt so.
    4. Anti-roll bar is different for the both setups and thou both are almost of same dimensions, there is still very little difference but impact on handling and the way car behaves over broken road is huge. With the wrong one, my car used to loose straight line over broken roads, means steering used to have its own mind. After getting correct one,steering feel got normal and stable. So get the correct anti roll bar no matter what mechanics say (as in my case almost all of them suggested not to change it)
    5. Used car with pre 2012 setup at front and post 2012 setup at rear for more than 20000kms. One can easily live with such setup, there is no change in handling. Advantage, your car wont sag from rear even at full load and wont bump anywhere. Its because of sagged rear that car manages to touch its underbelly. This setup will just be a lil unsettled from rear till only when there is no one at rear. Once rear is filled, with even a single passenger, it becomes normal, almost as pre 2012 setup.

Now after completing 50000k kms, 30000kms on post 2012 all around and 20000kms on partial pre 2012 setup (i.e. for front pre 2012 and rear post 2012) and now some 1500kms on pre 2012 all around, I can firmly say that for the enthusiasts, pre 2012 setup is the way to go eyes closed. No matter what anyone say, raised GC asks for too much in return, simply not worth it. Still I would say post 2012 setup is very much livable.

Thanks
    3 people like this.
  10. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

I am on this thread since post#2. Finally, I went for a shock absorbers transplant in my Punto 2012.
    It’s been three weeks and 1100 KM of city & expressway driving either solo or fully occupied. I can say the following.

1. Ride quality at city driving speeds has become so smooth. Even or uneven, whatever the tarmac be, the suspension does its duty brilliantly towards providing cushioning and at the same time trickle in necessary feedback from below. Best of both the worlds. The bone jarring effect is a thing of past!
    2. I thought it wouldn’t make much of a difference in handling but yes the car feels more planted now.
    3. After a week into the new shocks, there is a screeching sound that comes from left front whenever the car goes down on a speed breaker. I have to see FASS soon.
    4. The wheel well is not massive anymore. The gap looks neat and car like. However the car feels like sloping forward and at times a bit nose heavy.
    5. So far no scraping of the underbody. Mostly I drive in Pune city and NH4. So I think if I be a little more cautious on the speed breakers, I can prevent belly scraping pretty well.

Original: Endurance Copaf high GC.
    Replaced with: Magnetti Marelli Copaf low GC
    Parts changed at Pandit Auto -

1. All four struts
    2. Front bump stops
    3. Rubber ring/shield on front struts. FASS told me it’s a new rubber part that FIAT started providing now to prevent dust/dirt from entering the strut pads at front.
    4. Antiroll bar: No, I haven’t changed it yet. I am not sure if this is causing# 3 above.
    5. Wheel alignment.

I had clicked some random pics during the time of installation. Will post those later.

Thanks a lot Imran, Driv3r, l13mjd, sunswape and members of TFI at Pune for all the information and help. “Sexy ride quality, I feel like driving a new car altogether”, this is what I wrote to Imran and Driv3r on Whatsapp when I came back from a long drive that day after changing the struts. :)
    To avoid the feeling of bumpy ride I used to slow down seeing a rough patch ahead, not anymore!

Thanks TFI!
    9 people like this.