1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Another twist in the tale. Turns out - that the bump stops used on low GC are smaller and the new 2012 models have longer bump stops. If you check the GC upgrade kit, it includes the bump stops. I will need to buy separately now on 99rpm and get them replaced at a local garage or something.When lowering GC, these bump stops need to replace the existing bump stops and the Fiat Service Centres are supposed to know this as when they increase GC, they change the bump stops.

<dl class="last"><dt><label>Struts (Shock Absorbers) and Bump Stop **Pre-2012 Models**</label></dt><dd>
    • <input class="change-container-classname checkbox bundle-option-78 " id="bundle-option-78-166" name="bundle_option[78][]" value="166" type="checkbox"> <label for="bundle-option-78-166">1 x Shock Absorber Front Lh| 59089793 +Rs. 1,290</label>
    • <input class="change-container-classname checkbox bundle-option-78 " id="bundle-option-78-167" name="bundle_option[78][]" value="167" type="checkbox"> <label for="bundle-option-78-167">1 x Shock Absorber Front Rh| 59089795 +Rs. 1,290</label>
    • <input class="change-container-classname checkbox bundle-option-78 " id="bundle-option-78-174" name="bundle_option[78][]" value="174" type="checkbox"> <label for="bundle-option-78-174">2 x Rubber Pad| 51866009| 51775545| 51814458 +Rs. 864</label>
    Fiat Grande Punto Suspension Parts ( Struts, Spring, Boot, Pads) in authentic quality in India

</dd></dl>
    1 person likes this.
  2. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Nice finding. Essentially, we may need to roll back all the components which come as part of the GC upgrade kit.
    As far as FASS knowledge is concerned in this regard, they may have clear instructions for GC upgrade but not downgrade.

Are the rubber pad, bump stop and elastic pad all the same?
    1 person likes this.
  3. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Changed the sway bar on Saturday and there is definitely a lot of positive change in the behavior of steering and handling. I should have done this at the time of suspension revert. Anyway, better late than sorry. Enjoying the ride even more.
    1 person likes this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

Is this for the front or the rear?

I am running on pre 2012 struts all round with all other components being the same(2012). Wondering if am harming my car in any way? I don feel any difference in handling or ride quality between my 2011 car and this.
  5. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    There is no rear anti sway bar in Punto. This has been verified by many TFIans.
  6. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Ya, anti roll bar is just for front. If you running mismatched one then you soon end into trouble, get it changed to correct one asap.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Can you elaborate on the trouble part?
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

Finally my battle (research or any term you feel appropriate) with ride quality issues has ended.

I decided to roll back to 2012 struts and anti roll bar. After lot of email exchange and inquiries with FIAT SC and FIAT, I got a response that FIAT doesn't source Magenti Marelli cofap struts anymore and its just Endurance and cofap.

Hence, I had to procure the front struts of Magneti Marelli make from JK automobiles, JC road.

Attaching pic of the part and packing for reference.

a2u4ehyr.jpg

e8edetu7.jpg

yta2anan.jpg

reva4u2e.jpg

To me, this looked like an OE product manufactured for FIAT. However, took a chance and got then installed with the help of a TFI member Sunil (his car also had same issue like mine, so we both got the suspension components changed at Car tech, Rammurthy Nagar).

Results: With raised GC, we got the desired ride quality and the bumpy ride has vanished.

Conclusion: I believe the ride quality and suspension entirely depends on an individual's liking, just like we have different choices when it comes to tyres. But in case you need a solution to retain the GC and achieve the desired ride quality, 2012 Magneti Marelli and cofap emborsed struts can give you the same.

@Dr.Stephen you can try sourcing the same 2012 Magneti Marelli struts for your Linea too. Hope your issue gets resolved as you needed it the most :)

Good luck !!!

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk
    5 people like this.
  9. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    wow thats a great finding! how is the ride quality on bad roads compared to pre-2012 suspension? You changed all 4 or just the front struts? What was the cost, same as endurance ones?
  10. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Good to know that you are happy with the ride quality now.
    Is the ride getting settled, say, after a speed breaker or a pot hole? does it bounce like a Fluidic Verna/i20?