1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    You are right, if it is possible to get benefits of GC along with ride quality of previous, we should go for that only. However, and I am saying this because I think you have already spent a lot in experimenting, that you should go for the normal old setup that you know works just the way you want, and when the time comes to change them again, by then things must have changed enough to take a fresh call.. I'm only saying this for I think a lot of money has already been spent by you in experimenting and we all have indeed benefitted from it, as I did actually base my decision of a total rollback only because I figured you and other people here have come to that as a solid conclusion. You let me know how I can help in this regard, whenever. And let me say joke with you - take two more 10-minute trials of the old suspension. I can bet reasonably that you will want to get it done and over with the next day itself. :p

I am just back from a night ride. Figured it would be good to know what am I looking at in the night. I particularly wanted to see how 2cm closer to the ground affects my visibility and other idiots' full beam fiasco. I am quite satisfied, I say. First thing I did was visit nearest pump (1.5km) and set my tires at 36/33 F/R. It was around 40 front and 38 rear according to that gauge. Also, I don't know if it was just a placebo, but I thought that my low beam did travel enough far for me to not resort to high to view the road ahead at times (due to bad roads and pits I need to know what's ahead of me). Plus, when I flashed my beams, it elicited more response today from people than it did ever before. Crazy and weird, but just what happened tonight. And finally, in this town, there are about 10 differently sized breakers that I may happen to go over, and I did go over them tonight to test, they are ridiculously proportioned and yet I did not scrape. It seems I will not scrape - with 36/33, and solo, at least. I'm sure if I were to drive the way I should, my scrapings will be minimum. (any advice about pressure? as I spoke about in my previous post)
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Feel Bumpy Ride on post 2012 FIAT? Give in your contact details.

@l13mjd that's great man. Now you can enjoy your ride to the fullest.

I shall PM you in case I need help in sourcing the same bro.

Wish you many more plush and not bumpy miles with your Linea.

Thanks a lot :)

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk 2
  3. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Thanks brother.. bumpy miles.. I like the term! It just seems so fit as a curse to someone.. "god bless you with miles and miles of bumpy miles .. then you will come to know.." kinda remarks...
    1 person likes this.
  4. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Some help needed.. With alignment values.

On the monitor screen, it is as follows:

A1 A2
    B1 B2
    C1 C2

Values as follows:

-1.0mm A2 (nothing here)
    Some degree value, -0.8 or so in B1 and less in B2
    -0.1mm -0.0mm

These values may differ by a point or two. Even by +-. However, A1 and C1/C2 were green.

My only problem right now is that the car pulls slightly to the left and steering is visibly to the left. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Well, got the alignment corrected at another place.. Problem resolved much, but still existent to some extent.. Even the visible steering shift..

6. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Went to another alignment guy. In total, spent 4 hours with two alignment guys who gave up saying that alignment is fine from their end and only steering is off that will need to be corrected at the service centre - there's a bolt inside the steering column bla bla. The issue doesn't seem to leave my back. Car still pulls to left. Plus now when you turn the wheel all the way to the right, in the second turn it makes a croo sound like the croak of a grasshopper..same when I bring the wheel back..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  7. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Same day yesterday, the total drive was around 190km. I have to say, suspension works very, very good. The khud-khud sound as the 2012 suspension went about its business is now audibly masked. The suspension tells you precisely what is there below, and yet cushions you from the impact. The more I am using it, the more I am inclined to feel that the new 2012 suspension is positively a negative.

I did not scrape with 3 people inside (including me) on any road. However, I scraped the two recent-most troughs that have deepened just outside my house with two people inside (inc. me). I am yet to figure the best angle to take it on - I believe it can be done. But the scrapes take a momentary breath away.. however mild.. feels like a shear scratch on the metal flesh!

Help me with tyre pressures and any advice to get the best combo out of this suspension! (BS MY-02)
  8. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    So I guess you never heard from Fiat after this mail was sent?

Having driven my car for about 14K KMs with the increased GC and about 2K KMs with the lower GC, all I can say is that both set ups have their pros and cons. The high GC is stiff during lower speeds but becomes better as speed picks up. The lower GC is too soft and swings at low speed ( ride quality is better on low speeds, handling is poor) but becomes better as speed picks up. IMHO, the low GC suspension setup is ride quality biased while the high GC setup is handling biased. There is some increased body roll on high GC which is expected though and that does mess up the handling while cornering. But overall, a stiffer suspension is bound to have a better handling. What would be brilliant is a lower GC with stiff suspension :)

BTW, what are bump stops? Did anybody notice that bump stops were installed while you went for a GC upgrade or bump stops were removed if you lowered the setup? The reason I ask this is because I did not notice that they removed any such thing. But if the GC upgrade kit mentioned on 99rpm is correct, then bump stops are part of that kit.
    Fiat Genuine ground clearance increase kit for Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 multijet diesel
    1 person likes this.
  9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

Bump stops are kind of rubber block that's put above the struts to avoid the impact when the suspension is completely compressed (bottom out). In newer GC the bump stops are bigger when compared to lower GC bump stops.

However , as stated by mechanic, the bump stops do not play any role in ride quality.

With lower GC I am feeling exactly the same as u feel, its soft and sometimes the car tends to pitch on uneven roads too which is actually not to my liking.

I never felt any issues with respect to handling or body roll on raised GC, only concern of mine was that the ride was unsettled even on flat roads which was annoying.

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk now Free
    1 person likes this.
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Did you change the anti roll bar as well to the one that is the in lower GC models? The tensile strength of both is different and there is a debate on several forums that the older struts and new anti roll bar could be a good set up. If you have the original bar intact, you may want to switch that to see if it takes care of the boat suspension on low speeds.

unfortunately, mine is not usable as some built in rubber bush kind of thing is cut. I took it to fiat today to replace the bar but they said I need to buy the complete anti roll bar. Surprisingly, the anti roll bar on the old model costs only 3K while the same product on the new model costs 7k. So I decided not to spend any more money and find my peace with what I have spent so far. That will be 14K for suspension and another 15K for softer compound tires from Michellin. I will start saving for a good aftermarket suspension like Monroe, TRW or Bilstein now. Enough of this. I think there isn't any thing wrong with either setup but some people (including me) are looking for a level of ride and handling from the OEM suspension that it probably can't deliver.

Anyway, let us see if I can get used to this boat / water bed feeling on low speeds.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013