1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    I am home, and I shall post pics in some time. I made absolutely sure that all my struts are imported Cofap and not Endurance or collaborated in anyway with Endurance. Info: I checked the raised GC struts (new in spares) and they are collaborated Endurance and Cofap - duh, I now say. I will also check what my car came with in the first place. Here's my quick feedback on the worst patch of my drive that I have to entertain everyday in my 13k worth of driving this elegance on wheels in under 10l.

Sweet! I now totally mean what imran meant when he said 'smile on face'... The undulations were not at all upsetting. The dips were not me and my partner banging heads or me smashing into side window. I knew exactly how bad the stones are below me. In fact, that exact knowledge made me drive slower, I guess - a speed those bumps should have been tackled at to begin with.

The sway is gone. The bone-jarring noise and impact is gone. It is 'masked elegance' now. What I am trying to say is, I can now feel what it is below me, the type of Tarmac I'm going over, while being cushioned from the harsh impacts of it. I have no words for this. As it has been said a lot of times and I concur, this suspension setup has to be experienced to be understood. Pre-2012 guys know this.

Oh, the proverbial other side of the coin. I have indeed managed to scrape 185mm too, once or twice before, hard, and then once mildly in a trough that has gone deeper, just few days ago. Such are the troughs in the 'road' leading to my home. Today I did indeed scrape this 166mm, however, mildly, just about where I was thinking it might, and I knew exactly how to go about it next time on.

All in all, to sum this up:

I don't know what the dingdong did FIAT do to the 2012 setup, and why did it bother increasing height and compromising this quality of ride. I hope it does not ding them in their dicky in the long run. The old setup just seems at home in this car, and I can confidently say that the new raised setup was just that - a reaction to the mad crowd who chose to bash FIAT for what would be 50% their own fault and 50% the condition of road itself. Like I know when I banged even my 185mm, I could have gone even slower, and maybe a touch here or there.. and it would be avoided - you get the point.

The old setup would have, in time, changed rash drivers to normal cautious considerate ones. But alas..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Checked my stock 2012 setup just now. Not exactly shocking to know that both front and rear were endurance and cofap made in India products. Not even magneti marelli made in India. Ouch. I'm hurt, FIAT. :rolleyes:

I hate it when companies are named in this way. Endurance. Didn't even endure with me 9k kilometres. I am facing an issue since around 9k km that is resolved only today. Similar to Reliance. Not at all reliable.

@imrankhs, I saw the condition of the parts. Totally unable to make out the front part numbers. But rear sticker says FIAT part number 51925073. Google results show nothing. However, part number(s) aside, both front and rear struts are engraved Endurance along with Cofap logo and Made in India. I guess apart from part numbers, this is the more reliable way to figure it out.

My 'new' pre 2012 setup is all Cofap, made in Poland and Brazil. I think the rear is Brazilian (needless to say, don't you think? Brazil is famous for its rears right? ;)) and the front is made in Poland. Or vice versa, but Brazil and Poland, and all Cofap. No collaboration, no Magneti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Feel Bumpy Ride on post 2012 FIAT? Give in your contact details.

Glad to hear, and those were exactly the same feelings I went through after I switched to pre 12 struts.

P.S: Magnetti Marelli owns Cofap.
    1 person likes this.
  4. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Imran bro, I forgot to ask you yesterday. When you say that 2012 suspension will be Copaf but with either Magneti Marelli or Endurance logo on it, do you mean that these names will be written on the shocks or there is a logo or something. I couldnot understand from the previous page photos. I
    Asking from point of view of identification. Thanks
  5. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    @Driv3r, last time when I went to the SC for booking and talking about makes of suspension, to show me the difference between the heights (20mm) they showed me the rear strut post 2012, and it was clearly labelled Magneti made in India - no collaboration. So I guess that would be good, but don't know. My car, purchased November 2012, came with all struts in collabo with Endurance and Made in India. Fail, I say.

The new ones coming from Magneti made in India may be good, though, as I remember vaguely, reading in the posts somewhere back. So, there may exist a front raised GC strut that would not be as catastrophic as my endurance cofap one.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Taking liberty to answer this. The logos and identification information will be engraved on the strut and will also be in form of a sticker label pasted on the strut.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Now, the only thing left for me to do is to ascertain the right pressure for my Bridgestone MY-02. I use the car solo, and mostly with one more passenger in the front. Yet, I keep 36 front and 33 rear mentioned for medium to full load in the manual. Do you guys suggest me anything otherwise? (also in consideration of the lowered GC)
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

Man, you are just too lucky. I don't have an option to roll back to cofap suspension made in Brazil for Punto. No showrooms nor spare part dealers have them. I have rear struts of cofap made in Brazil but failed to source front ones :(

Like you are speculating about magneti marelli and cofap written struts made in India, I have a feeling that those struts might offer good ride quality even with raised GC, as I had the rear struts of same make (2012) and they just work fine.

However, the experiment from my side to source those and install on my car is due.

Thanks for answering the question.

Sent from my Lenovo P780_ROW using Tapatalk 2
  7. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Do you want me to ask for them here and ship them to you? I can talk, and maybe it would turn out to be possible for your dealer there to liaison with the dealer here and source the part through official channel or anything.. that way, you might just save on the shipping cost..

Let me know. I can call them and talk about spares for your car (you will need to tell me exactly what you're looking for and the car).... oh wait. Strike that. Punto Diesel Emotion 90HP.
    1 person likes this.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

Yes, its a Punto 90HP Diesel... Probably in a week or two I am gonna experiment with the Magneti Marelli 2012 struts. If I don't like them, I shall PM you about the same.

It would be a great help if your dealer could source all 4 brand new Cofap - Made in Brazil struts for my car.

Thanks a lot bro :thumbup:

9. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    All four? Did you not say you have Cofap Brazil rear ones already?

And Imran, unless you absolutely must need that GC, I say why experiment any further when you know what's the best you can get? Plus, the car looks smashing with the normal GC it came with at launch.. I never imagined 2cm will make this big a difference to the car that it did to my Linea.. now it looks the nice wide that it is ...
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

I agree with you bro. The way I am looking at it is, if the 2012 Magneti Marelli made in India suspension at front works fine, then I get good ride with high GC. So its a win win situation, if not I can anytime sell all 4 2012 struts and safely roll back to 2011 setup.

Yes I am running on cofap at the rear. It has lot of minor dents, painted, kind of looks used etc, I bought it from JC Road (jk automobiles spare parts dealer). Somehow I am not convinced, hence if I go for another set of cofap, its better I buy all 4 brand new struts and have peace of mind for the next 30-40k kms :)

1 person likes this.