1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Contrary to what we have been discussing all these days, linealover has now fallen in love with the upgraded GC in his car. Yes, and he is now recommending to get the GC kit for my Linea too. :-o

As per him, the new suspension setup is Brilliant and he says there is not even a bit of reduction in handling. I leave it to him to elaborate more on this.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Maybe linealover forgot how his car was before, as he was on the sea for 6 months. :p

But maybe, Linea's GC upgrade is good? Ramesh, I feel you can make out when you have a GC updated car for a week and drive it extensively over all terrain. The poise which low GC gives can never be replicated by a higher GC, however stiff the suspension is.
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Quite possible.

This is what he has also told me. :)
    I really can't comment until I drive his car extensively.
  4. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Over 9 months of ownership of a 2012 MJD with 16", what I have seen is this:

Road surface in question (about 1km) was tarmac-less when I took delivery of car and the bumpiness and sideway sway at low speeds was evident but contained. I could zoom through that stretch at speeds touching 40 and I would smile.

Today, the same stretch is now layered with small stones - the ones that are found on railway tracks and there are medium undulations and potholes due to the monsoon. However, even before monsoon, I have witnessed a stark deterioration in quality of ride on this road now. This road is technically and for all intents and purposes better off now than before, but I enjoy sideway sway and bumpiness to the point that makes me question is this a car I paid 10l for.. The bumpiness and sway is not at all contained at any speed. I speed up as I used to and it only makes the effect slightly less but infinitely more jarring, not that it was not jarring at lower speeds.

This behaviour is in stark contrast with the behaviour the vehicle displayed during initial quarter of purchase.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Impossible - He had the taste of 2012 suspension during our SI meet in Ooty last year and he gave the same impressions. I hope you still remember how that 2012 MJD was making the T-Jet to play catch up.
  6. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    But still, he never told me that 2012 setup is better than his car after the SI meet.

Now, he is saying that his upgraded GC car is even better than his previous setup and the 2012 Linea that he drove. :D
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  7. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    If he is the linealover I think he is, then he had told me that he is happy and never faced a problem with his stock old setup. Wonder why he changed to new..
  8. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    He has always been a fan of the old GC setup till last week.

He got the GC upgraded in his car for the Leh trip and planned to downgrade again to old setup after the trip. Unfortunately, his trip plan didn't materialize. Now, after having driven with the new GC setup, he is now telling me that he will never go back to the old GC. :)
  9. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    So, just for info, his TJet being petrol top end model, stands at 190mm now?

I had no issues with suspension or GC anytime till past 3-4k kilometres. Badly. And roads in my area are testing, roads in Ahmedabad (where service centre is) are nowhere near as bad and they outright refuse to acknowledge I could have some issue. I know for a fact that it is not a placebo with me. The jarring is very real! The sway makes me wonder why I have never yet managed to bang heads with my co-passenger! Clueless what to do... But now, since he upgraded to new suspension, and if he has the old one still with him, is it technically possible for me to put his suspension in my car and test for some days? He has a TJet top model, I have an MJet top model, both come with 16" wheels. I would be able to make a better decision if he acquiesces. Gotta call him first thing tomorrow! :D
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    No. His is MJD Emotion pack and he is running with 15" wheels. The GC now stands at 185mm.