1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Feel Bumpy Ride on post 2012 FIAT? Give in your contact details.

Inaugurated by bumping into a pothole (crater) sometime back. It was huge and the car dint scrape but a loud thud sound as if the wheel would come out :D this happened at 30-40 km/hr and chances are that vehicle is safe.

I am just driving it like a 2012 car with minimum caution and till date it has taken all speed breakers with ease *touch wood* :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  2. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    There is a good difference in height at the back between 2012 and pre2012 models if we observe carefully. I dont think the front alone was raised for the 2012 models.
    Thanks for the details. Did you have to change Elastic pads also? Thats not included in the GC kit right? so people going in for the GC kit would need to change that also?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Not necessary if that is good enough. Generally, the SC guys will inspect this when they replace the struts.
    2 people like this.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

We compared both 2012 and pre 2012 struts and found them exactly the same in terms of dimensions. Apart from that I don't know how its making a difference in both the models.

Intact, I have retained the same 2012 struts at the rear and am quite happy with the ride.

Soon during the Bangalore TFI meet, I shall click picture with a pre 2012 Punto and mine besides. That should clear all your doubts :)

2 people like this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    in favour of Imran, I actually saw his car in person last week and its actually looking better than 2009 models in its stance.

The only reason why i gave up the idea of an increased GC was because it made the car look upright. 2009 models have a low sprung look and i love it a lot on the punto.
    But in Imran's case the front is lower than the rear and this gives it an angular look and my god does it look pretty with that.

Imran, Do you have a spare suspension setup lying anywhere? :-D
    1 person likes this.
  6. You already have that front biased look in your car.
  7. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    @Imran, Glad you are enjoying the FIAT ride quality. I'll be missing this weekend's TFI meet to get a chance to try your car :(
    Hope we should be able to meet sometime in the next week.
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

I do have the 2012 (raised GC) front suspension. You can take it if you want bro :)

I have only front 2 struts of 2012 and an anti roll bar of 2012.

9. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

No worries sir. We shall meet up sometime on next weekend and you can try my car to know the difference :)

10. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Guys - hello! Just had my account activated a minute ago and here I am. Been monitoring this forum for quite some time, and this forum made me bring home my first car ever, a FIAT Linea 2012 Emotion MJD last December. I recall, I had always loved FIAT, without even knowing its legacy, right with Palio and Premier Padmini and 118NE (both of which I have had the pleasure to travel in during my childhood)... but the plans for a car were scrapped. History and love affair with FIAT and Linea, maybe in an owner report.. done 11,000 blissful kilometres in a fantastically engineered vehicle.

However, this particular thread brought an issue to my notice. A 2km stretch to my home is badly potholed and undulated. When the vehicle was new, at very low speeds, the ride was acceptably bumpy. I remember, I was surprised, but since I never had a car before, could not really compare. Didn't even strike as this bad as I now know it to be. Speed: around 20. Forums such as this told me that when the speed is increased, suspension would get better. I used to acceptably ride with increased speeds > close to 40.

Cut to today, and since around 2-3k kilometres ago, I have found the ride in the same stretch as exceptionally and embarrassingly bumpy. I can't drive without a seat belt - that bad. I will just sway and move about. LHS passenger who also happens to be fiancé gives me a look that my understanding soul interprets as: Is this really a car you paid 10.3 OTR for?

Had enough. And with information from this thread, I went and talked with Dhhruvil FIAT in Ahmedabad yesterday. (I was so hoping my account to get activated day before, but it is now, and no harm done.) They outright refused any issue, and even drove the vehicle out, and frankly, since I don't know pre2012 setup, I didn't find anything bad on Ahmedabad roads. However, I do know that the state of affairs has gone drastically worse in Nadiad, so I know that something is wrong and needs to be attended to.

I asked them what needs to be replaced and they said 2x shock absorbers for the front, 2x for the rear, and 2x springs for the rear. I wanted to know from you guys - is this correct? They gave an estimated price for a total overall in the vicinity of 20-25k, and when I checked 99rpm for the same, I found it comes to around 12-15k. My guess is that they may be talking of a total overhaul, every part change... that will surely amount to around 22-25k.

What do you say, guys? As a good thing, I checked the struts, they are all Cofap made in Brazil for pre-2012. Rear struts that they showed from 2012 GC kit, for comparison, were Magneti Marelli but made in India. Relieved me to know that I will get proper Brazilian suspension. However, am wondering about the cost... 12-15k my calculation vs 20-25k their estimate..

Please help. The components they say will change are: all 4 struts, and rear springs. Don't know how, they are talking of 20k vicinity. I am sure it will come less when they finally bill me.