1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Re: Feel Bumpy Ride on post 2012 FIAT? Give in your contact details.

The pre 2012 emotion pack setup had 171mm GC and not 163.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

He is referring to Linea. Do you mean Linea EPack stood 171 mm above the ground and not 163?
  3. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    Abdul,

Wonderful even i feel that older gen suspension were good.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    As far as i know @Dr.Stephen owns a Linea and Linea MJD Emotion pack had 163 mm of GC, thats why the boot end of the car usually scraped on the speedbreakers.
    For Punto it was 171 ~ 173 which now stands at a class leading GC of 185 mm :D
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Oops didn't know that imranshks, However the Linea is 161 MM IIRC. I know it's 2 mm but never the less
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Gotta say this.

I didnt touch the 75HP for the past 10k kms of Punto driving. Had been to bangalore and switched rides with my bro and brought the 75HP back here and boy, I have a sore neck already due to the suspension stiffness. Even the Capdase mobile mount was in action full time while it is not so on the 90HP. While a guy like me in the twenties can feel the harshness why wouldn't elders complain? I am thrashing this stupid example of an upgraded suspension ASAP.

Fiat, if you are reading this please roll back or do something for this issue many of us are facing. It is just spoiling your reputation. My family doesn't want the Punto for trips and want a Manza cab instead, just because of one ride in the 2012. The previous rides in 2011 went fine. Anyone trying to disagree with me will be punished with a ride in my car. :p
    4 people like this.
  7. DRIV3R: None here will disagree, i bet. Please dont punish us more. ;) Seems like FIAT is not open to listen our outcries. If they are acting on it(if even without accepting it), we can expect changes in the 2014 model atleast. I am planning to wait till then, before i decide on any suspension changes. Will give FIAT one more chance to do its homework. :D If not, I might move out of the club. :( Period.
    1 person likes this.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai

I'm more interested to find or How does the 2012 compare to the other available hatchback in the market. We shouldn't be comparing the 2011 and 2012 purely because they are adressing different points in different ways. With 185 MM GC there is supposed to be handling loss and they've put stiffer springs to accommodate it. I'm not entirely sure how we can have best of both worlds.

If the GC can be downgraded officially why bother hiring a cab? Over the period of time wouldn't this pay you back automatically.
    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Well, I cannot answer the comparo with other hatches as I have not driven any as extensive as the Punto.

You are most welcome to take my car on the Sriperumbudur stretch for sampling. Game?

I am really tired of explaining to people who still think am exaggerating. In fact, am probably the first one to take this comparo on this forum as we got both at home. The pre 2012 cars ride like on a carpet. Again am not generalizing all 2012 cars, it maybe a problem with few batches OR few who had not experienced the pre 2012 are content with the 2012. Even I was.

On the definitive forum, there is a certain distinguished member whose garage consists of cars from various segments, a Honda Accord, a BMW 320D, Laura vRS, an Yeti and the humble Punto which is of pre 2012 vintage. He rated the Punto's ride quality to be the best. How is that? He gains no brownie points for talking high of the Punto. :)

Trust me, the 2012 Punto s suspension, at least the example I own is NOWHERE near that. Period.

Edit: And I would rather prefer a scraped or bent engine guard plate than sore or sprained necks and backs. Am not going to off road with this hatchback either.

With regards to the downgrade, I guess you didn't get what I meant by thrashing the current setup. :)
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

Agree !!! We always have an option to downgrade the suspension. I am game for it and will be doing it shortly as I haven't found time to do it lately.

As a 2013 Punto owner, ask me for the amount of troubleshooting I have done with this current suspension,sleepless nights, weekends at service centers, test drives with SAs etc etc all pain but no gain !!!

In the end, it was good to hear from the SA that "Sir, you can't get the ride quality of pre-2012 car in the current suspension setup", that made my decision more firm to roll back and compromise on GC.

I have driven other hatches too, as my hobby is to Test drive cars and almost every weekend I drive another car without intention of buying it :)

Let me tell you my observations.

1. Hyundai i20 - Too soft suspension, pitches all over the road and that's nothing to mention. We all know. But this behavior never causes discomfort.

2. Vista D90 - After having driven my 90HP, I dint like Vista a bit but only thing I loved was the ride quality, it was flat causing no problem to people onboard.

3. VW Polo - this car also comes with a stiff suspension but the ride quality again is remarkably better than what we have on our 2012 cars. At all speeds one wouldn't complain about bumpy ride or whatsoever.

Lastly, drove Punto 2010 and 2011 model and the way car rides, man, I have no words to explain that suspension setup. The car just glides over the places where there is no road too.

So indeed we all have great car but its just the suspension that's culprit, now its choice of the owner whether he wants to protect his car's underbody and live with stiff bumpy ride or just get rid of this suspension, sacrifice GC and go for the best setup scraping the underbody a bit. I have made a choice with latter one :)

Cheers :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.