1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Sat-chit-ananda, I have called Pete's in cochin.Bilstein 6 costs around 60,000/-.As per them it is not suitable for making ride quality to my desired level.It is stiffer than our OEM .Adjustable type BIL-14 and 16 cost more than one lakh.I can't afford this much money.Trying to get some othe options.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    If the 2012 suspension is the issue why don't you simple retro fit the pre-2012 suspension on your vehicle? Surely it would cost less than the Blistein. Do you need the GC and the plush ride as well?
  3. I don't know what model of Bilstein was in Ashoks car, i did not even inquire about the price as i was not looking for buying one.
    There are other companies which make similar products to Bilstein, Koni and Pedders.

I remember reading about one of them where in first time the suspension will act stiff and but if there continued bumps on the road suspension will become softer improving the ride quality.
  4. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Feel Bumpy Ride on post 2012 FIAT? Give in your contact details.

@Dr.Stephen what I have heard from @Sat-Chit-Ananda many others is that Bilstein springs are a little stiff compared to OEM suspension that we get in our cars. They are tuned for handling and fall into performance category. (low profile tyres and bilstien shocks is a deadly combo but not for Indian roads)

I am afraid that even after spending a huge chunk of money on it, your purpose wouldn't be served (plush ride at lower speeds or > 50kmph).

I would still recommend you to roll back to the older suspension and drive a bit carefully, coz that's the perfect solution and not a workaround. Yes, you might scrape a bit here and there due to 163mm GC, but the impact wouldn't be much unless you are worried about the underbody of the car getting a few scratches or dents.

Also by this, you ll achieve comfort that you need to travel along with your Mom who is 80+, am sure the older setup will put a smile on your face and your mother's face too.

Cheers :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  5. I was little suprised to see people enquiring for more stiffer suspension, my bad i shoul have written it clearly.these day i am on two thumb typing hence short but may not be precise.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Yesterday, I reverted to the old suspension (two front struts and two rear shocks) changed the elastic pads also. What a difference it is. I can feel the cushioning like a spring mattress. The upgrade was such a pain in the ass that there were times I wanted to sell off the car. It cost me 11,500/- including pads.The brand was Magneti Marelli made in India. Did he fitting outside of FASC. Paid 1200/- for labour. The guy took the car at 10 am and gave back at 3pm. What service!. I am enjoying it. Next work will be timing chain with the same guy. NO more booking, reporting....etc. I am free bird after Aug 6 completing 4 yrs.

Abdul
    7 people like this.
  7. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Jumu ji, I have some doubts.1) After changing to M Marelli , what is the new G.C? Is it the old 163mm.For me 163 mm GC is not suitable because of the bad road conditions through which I daily travel (around 55km).I need at least 175mm.2) Is Fiat OEM is Magneti Marelli in LINEAS ?.

- - - Merged Post - - -
  8. Jumu: Nice to hear that your problem got resolved. I too feel that this will be the way forward. BTW, how come you car completed 4yrs, while you are having 2012 suspension? :) Assuming you did a GC upgrade, what did you do with the upgraded components?
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @dr_stephen, Mine is an Active Punto. I dont have the GC numbers on mind. I know that I lost 10 mm when I changed the OE 70 aspect JK tyres to 60 aspect Yoko A tyres using the same 14" wheel. I have in my stock 4 nos of 15" wheels which I will shift to when my current tyres are due for change. At that time I will regain the 10mm I lost and also gain another 15.4mm as the I will be adding 25.4mm with the 15" wheels.

I dont know if the magneti marellis are OE, but it had the fiat india stickers on it.

Sir, I suggest you to go for the jugaad that epicentre uses on his punto springs. I am repeatedly saying, it is the bounce generated by the comfortable soft suspension that is responsible for the scrapes of the underneath. Once you install that poly something material on the springs , the compression and upward release will be kind of controlled. I guess it cost some 7K and I feel it is worth a try instead of looking at very expensive options such as bilstien..etc

Abdul
  10. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    My initial impression when I started driving his car was that the tyres were over inflated. When compared to my car, the bumps and the roughness of ride was so obvious inside the cabin. As expected, the drive comfort worsened when dropped in small pot holes of ORR. When I asked for the tire pressure, Imran said it's 32 which proved some problem with his suspension system. Glad to know he's out of the major misery now.

Based on the pre-2012 experiences posted here, I'm afraid to try the same as it may shoot a hole in the pocket after experiencing the ride comfort :D
    1 person likes this.