1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Platinumshine ji, My Linea Emotion 2012 already has 205/55/16.As you suggested, if no other alternative is possible, I will be opting your suggestion. But without increasing side wall height with same 205/55/16),I doubt of getting 170 mm with old set up.My aim is 175 mm GC with comfort ride. Anyway I have to wait for another 20,000 kms to change my existing tyre.Money cannot be wasted
  2. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

@Dr. Stephen,
    that's even better you won't need to spend on wheels. About getting 170mm, I just referred to that review link. I am sure TFIans owning older TJet+ should know the precise reading.
    All the best!
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    I have researched and discussed this enough. I have ordered the pre 2012 suspension parts, 4 struts and 1 anti roll bar. I have been assured by Fiat service center that the GC will be lowered and ride will be exactly the same as older models. I just have one doubt - do any springs or dampeners also need to be changed? I have been quoted 15K for this job. I just can't take the ride quality anymore so taking this drastic step.
    1 person likes this.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Dear Stephen ji, I am completely in rhyme with you here, hard earned money will surely go for a toss if it doesn't resolve the issue. That's why i asked you to have tires temporary on your car and test them first. I recently switched to 65/205 GY, Though I regret the decision because they have somewhat affected Punto in areas which i was proud of. None the less, when it comes to ride quality and comfort, wow!! It sweetly goes over the medium size breakers and patches, saves a lot of gear changing & revving in heavy crawling traffic here. Just try it for a demo. Yes GC will increase but i am sure that you will be in a much better position to comment on GC compromise than now, because you are yet to try it.

lets do it, it could very well be the end of the bumpy ride you had in your Linea.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Springs should be stiffer in later models so must be spring change as well. You should confirm from FIAT service center only if they are different for Pre-2012 models.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@Relativity I checked on pre-2012 suspension at Aadya and Mashud Khan (service manager) quoted it would roughly cost me 20-25k to roll back to older suspension.

But on the other side, Vecto guys told me, struts, springs and anti roll bar needs to be changed which will cost around 10-12k. I don't know whom to rely upon now :D

I can totally relate to your problem as the newer suspension cannot (I repeat cannot) keep you happy at low speeds.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    better ask him the exact estimate with the part names that require change. from my past few interactions with this guy when he was at concorde, i felt he is quite knowledgeable
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    I will be very disappointed if the people on Team Fiat don't know the parts that were changed during GC upgrade :(
  8. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@shams maybe you are right, but that's the estimate he gave me when I had been to Aadya on Saturday. I was lucky that few fellow TFIans (@Patchyboy , @Cubbie and @Venka )joined me too.

Firstly he was not ready to acknowledge the issue and was convincing me that this is the way newer Fiats ride. After @Patchyboy (Rajan) intervened and questioned him, he was forced to acknowledge my issue after driving my car.

However, I am just one step away (changing front suspension parts) if it doesn't resolve my issue then I shall take a quote from Mashud on the older setup and get rid of the current suspension setup. Day by day the ride quality is deteriorating inspite of having changed my tyres to Yokohama C drives, odometer stands at 8430 kms :(

P.S its a humble request to everyone suffering from this issue, please voice it out to Mangesh kodalkar from FIAT on

(mangesh.kodalkar@fiat.com)

If we don't raise this issue to FIAT, they might never hear about it and never take an action. Coz last weekend I had other person accompanying me for the same issue, his ride was even more worse as he was running on 14'' JK Tyres (Punto active). It's really disappointing.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  9. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

quoting myself turning over few pages before for exact parts needed to go back to 2011 suspension setup. I had spoken with SA Anil at FASS Pandit, who knows a thing about our cars!

If GC upgrade was costing around 15k then GC rollback stuff should also cost approx same, shouldn't it?
    2 people like this.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Why don't you take FIAT's help for descritpion of part no's of older set up and cost mentioned against each part? Shoot a mail to Mangesh Kodalkar and ask him for a list. Also don't forget to mention the different quotation from different dealers like they all have customized suspensions for individuals.

I am not surprised if No one know about this because you are the first one to revert to pre 2012.
    Let's put a detailed analysis and parts list on TFI for better guidance in future. None the less, it's a good decision in the end.
    It should have been bargained on the date of delivery, you will absolutely adore it with 163 mm of GC.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.