1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Kindly use normal text fonts. Text in all caps is difficult to read. Using all caps in a public forum is almost equivalent to shouting on top of your voice.
    1 person likes this.
  2. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    - - - Merged Post - - -

- - - Merged Post - - -

Dear All, I have put it in upper case letters to get noticed by every one. In our forum we put our doubts for improvement of ride and rectifications for those knowledgeable persons. Non members should not get the feeling that FIAT cars are inferior.Before buying FIAT I have gone for VW vento high line .In 2012 ,the on road price was 11.53 lakhs in cochin,where as Linea Emotion Mjd was 10 lakhs.The price difference is due to larger engine -hence higher road tax and duties.Even then Linea is worth.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  3. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Good morning, Is it available a spring set of same length as that of post 2012 linea,but slightly less stiffer than the present ly used in post 2012 linea cars?.My opinion is -if the spring is replaced and a tyre which gives comfort ride ( not with soft sidewall like Michellin PLC,which is meant for very good roads) but that can take the harshness of our Indian roads, THE PROBLEM OF BUMPY RIDE CAN BE RESOLVED.But remember,the ride stability will be slightly affected.So for those want ride comfort(especially where the car is also used for old people) the slightly soft spring set up is the alternative.In my case I have my mother who is 87 years old.Members who have ideas about this,please post their VALUABLE suggestions.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  4. Dr Stephen: Just a small thought here. Suspension springs are made stiffer when there is any increase in load(weight of the car in our case). For eg: a Diesel car may have a stiffer front springs that its petrol version, just to compensate for the additional weight. In our case, FIAT has increased the GC. GC can be increased only by increasing the length of the Spring travel(just like putting high heeled boots makes us look taller). When the suspension travel increases, the OSCILLATION FREQUENCY(in your terms) increases. This is a natural consequence, but may not necessarily lead to the sideways sway that we experience. If it would do so, the the worst comfortable cars would be the big SUVs, which is not the case. There comes the role of the Anti-Roll bar. The Anti-roll bar transfers this Higher Oscillation Frequency to the other side suspension as well (but with a very slight delay), which will result in the sideways sway. I am not able to prove this because i havent tried experiments with the bar till now. I dont think i will be able to do it anytime nearby, due to my hectic schedules.

We want FIAT to be the best always, We dont want other cars in the segment to beat a FIAT in any ways. That is the reason why we air out even such small things in this forum. I am sure that FIAT India will be watching this forum very carefully. I am a person who drove a Palio for 10 years, and just went ahead and booked a Punto.

The question now is not about antiroll bars or springs. The question is how to make FIAT hear our concerns.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

:confused:....

Wow, That is some wisdom shared!

Dr. Stephen, Did you consider higher profile tires (bigger side walls)?? Pls do it if you really want to improve the bump feeling. Nothing like if some of your friends have them. Just get it swapped and have a detailed test drive. You bet, it will definitely improve the ride.
  6. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    ]Goodafternoon Spear ji,
    Surely the anti roll bar has its role.But themain filter of road roughness is spring and dampener combination.For longer spring the compression/elongation will be definitely more.For stffer spring/itsdampener;- When the cars left tyre falls slowly in to a gutter of the road,since the spring is stiff it is not compressed that much because it is happening at a slow rate as the car is moving slowly.So the car's body part also go along with it in to the gutter and comes out of it and fall in to the next and same thing happens.This result in a low frequency up and down oscillations of the car also.Meanwhile if the car's right tyre alsoexperiences the same process,the rider will have a up and down,left -right side(SWAY)type oscillations.On the other hand if the car is taking the same type road at a higher speed, the the tyre will be suddenly( the time taken to fall in to the gutter and out ) falling in to the pot hole , the spring (thoughstiffer) will be suddenly compressed .Spring is compressed means ,energy is stored in it. This stored energy is dissipated by the right combination dampener fitted along with the spring.Now the same will be happening to the other side tyre.The spring is suddenly compressed and the dampener immediately dissipates energy means-the spring is brought back to the original state in a short time.So that much jerk is not transmitted to the car's body .This leads to good ride at higher speeds on rough roads.As you have mentioned,the anti roll bar also plays a roll.But the spring is the main component.SUV'scan't be as comfortable as a sedan.Because their G.C is more means stability is sacrified.SUV's are for off roading.But now a days SUV's are designed in such away that they actually lie in between a real SUV’s and a Sedan’s performance.Also SUV s are provided with much good spring/dampener combinations.Please note-these are my findings and I do not claim that it is absolutely correct.Memberscan suggest .
  7. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    DearENKIJI,
    I think,Firstwe have to solve the fundamental thing-that is spring .Changing tyre to with a higher profile tyre will again increase GC.Mine is 205/55/16.180mm ismore than enough for a sedan.Rolling back to old suspension is not suitable forme as I make lot of ride over rough roads.Also tyres like Michellin PLc is notsuitable at all for these type of roads.I have done only 16000 kms.Hard earnedmoney cannot be spent wrongly.My aim is to get an appropriate solutionfrom our members or from FIAT itself.
  8. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Guys Fiat shud hav raised only Front suspension and not rear bcoz it's the front bumper that scrapes bumps or any other things..side underbody and rear bumpers dont scrape anything..its low in pre 2012 models..Punto and Linea design is like Nose down(front face) and tail up (back look)..so now wen i see 2012 FIAT'S i say shit those rear wheel arches have a very big gap and wen u see from rear they look very odd..so in my opinion Fiat had to raise only front suspension..Ther was no problem with GC..Ya wen the car is full of occupants and boot is loaded with many bags then at that time it scrapes but we shud go very slowly on breakers wich we do..but some Tata TAXI guys who bought Fiat they jst want to climb on Bumps which is not good for their cars..experts plz comment on this..Fiat shud hav raised only front suspension,ther was no need of raising rear suspension bcoz problem was front didnt had much GC like rear or side body of FIAT'S..Polo's,I20's front GC is also low,y didnt they raised suspensions??
  9. True. That is the basics of suspension. Now how do we put this before FIAT? Seriously, I dont like women(read GP) in high heels. :( it is not good to their health in long run, and causes discomfort to their driver too. ;) BTW, the list which is being compiled by fiat583 doesnt seem like getting good response.
  10. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Dr. Stephen, what if you go for the old GC suspension setup plus 16 inch wheels 205/55 section, e.g like the old TJet+. That should give you 170mm GC rather than 161m, with plush ride. refer Karthikk's review : Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review - Page 87 - Team-BHP
    this could improve things for you?
    1 person likes this.