1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Bumpy ride - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by soori, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Imran, Did you change the rollbars along with the front struts? If no, then can you try that out. I am talking about roll bars from the pre-2012 models, at lease for a trial. The bumpiness we all are referring to, is caused by the front suspension components. If you have changed the struts, now what is left is the roll bar. Just sharing a thought.
  2. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: Bumpy ride of 2012 FIATS- Any solutions?

@spear_man77 I dint change the front struts yet, they just changed strut pads which was of no good help.

I think the anti roll bar is just a static object in the suspension assembly. The bumpy ride is more due to the changed springs and the struts.

Anyway, I spoke to service manager from Fiat and he has asked me to get the front struts changed under warranty.

This would be the last troubleshooting step, if things work out, good, if not, then great coz am rolling back to a better ride :)

Thanks for the inputs bro.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I think for this Fiat has give a choice of option during delivery of the car.
    Option 1. Car with lower ground clearance: No bumps at all but lots of bump kisses
    Option 2. Car with high ground clearance: Lots of bumps with no bump kisses :)

Just kidding. But now this is very serious issue with the high ground clearance. So why not we can get this option for opting our choice?
  4. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

Balance rod ? is it anti roll bar? the design of older anti roll bar is different, we will have to go for it with pre-2012 struts and springs.

That's what SA and Service manager from Fiat told me this evening. They are still convincing me to change front struts under warranty and then decide to roll back or not.

I believe the springs too have been changed in post 2012 setup to increase the GC. I would recommend you to have a thorough check and get all components changed bro. Peace of mind :)

6. Sunswape, Refer Abdul's post #224. He went for the upgrade and was given the old anti-roll bar and struts back. It means the anti-roll bars were changed by them. If my below explanation proves right 99rpm.com is correct, as the Anti-roll bars doesn't have to be changed.

Imran, Let me explain this a bit. When your car does a high speed turn to the right, the left suspension takes the load and it compresses. This makes the right side suspension to de-compress and the right side lifts off the road. This is called a "ROLL". One easy way to prevent this is by making the right side spring to compress a bit along with the left side spring. This will prevent the right side from lifting off the road and will reduce ROLL. For achieving this, we have a ROD or BAR which connects both the bottom side of the suspension springs, and this ROD is mounted to the front of the car in a way that it is free to rotate. When the LHS compresses, the ROD makes the LHS also compress a bit, and thus avoids a ROLL. That is why it is called Anti-Roll bar.

Now, the Anti-Roll bar doesn't compress the RHS springs fully. It will only transfer a part of the force to the other side. How much force it transfers depends on the Torsional resistance of the bar, which in turn depends on its thickness. The higher GC means longer suspension travel means higher ROLL means thicker Anti-Roll bar means more jerkier drive.

Now, on a normal road with undulations, when the LHS hits a small undulation the LHS springs compress. This results in the RHS springs also getting compressed by the Anti-roll bar, which introduces a sidewise jerk to the car. This is evident only on low speeds because on higher speeds the time taken for the springs to compress and decompress on such undulations is too small that the transfer of pressure by the Anti-Roll bar is barely noticeable.

The above explanation is only for the "theory hungry" :D. Those who want to try this out may change the Anti-roll bar back to the old one and check(if the old bar fits into the new suspension setup).
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    5 people like this.
  7. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Bangalore

@spear_man77 that's a wonderful explanation man. I too did a bit of research to understand the suspension components.

If the anti roll bar solves the issue its great !!! But what I heard from SA is the design of anti roll bar in older models is different, hence I don't know if the new struts and springs would be compatible.

I would still say, if rolling back old suspension, go with the entire kit prescribed by Fiat and you will not have to worry :)

Cheers :thumbup:

8. Imran, definetely changing all the components will be the best idea as those components are mated perfectly. Changing the Anti-roll bar alone will not solve the problem completely, as the old one may not be capable enough to suppress the roll properly due to the longer travel of the 2012 suspension. But it should help reduce the bumpiness to some extent.
    1 person likes this.
  9. dr.stephen

dr.stephen Amatore

cochin
    Cochin,Kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Dear All, AS EXPLAINED BY SPEARMAN JI, THE ANTIROLL BAR HAS THE MAIN DUTY OF REDUCING THE ROLL DURING CORNERING.ITS ROLE IN RIDE COMFORT AT SLOW SPEEDS ON ROUGH ROADS IS LIMITED.THE MAIN COMPONENT WHICH DETERMINES THE RIDE QUALITY IS THE SPRING.STIFF SPRING AND DAMPENER BEHAVES EXACTLY LIKE A FILTER IN ELECTRONIC CICUIT.ITS DUTY IS TO FILTER OUT THE BUMPS OF RIDE FROM THE BODY OF THE CAR.( OFFCOURSE THE TYRE ALSO PLAYS ITS ROLE).ELECTRONIC FILTERS COMPRISE OF CAPACITORSOR INDUCTORS ALONG WITH RESISTORS.IN MECHANICAL FILTER( OUR SPRING/DAMPENER)SPRING IS LIKE CAPACITOR OR INDUCTOR WHICH STORE ENERGY DURING OPERATION AND DAMPENER IS LIKE RESISTOR WHICH DISSIPATES THE ENERGY STORED BY THE CAPACITOR OR THE SPRING IN OUR CASE.IN ELECTRONIC FILTERS WE HAVE LOW PASS FILTERS,MEANS IT WILL ALOW ALL THE LOW FREQUENCY PARTS.NOW IF THE SPRING IS STIFF (FIAT HAS MADE SPRINGS STIFFER IN POST 2012 CARS),IT WILL BE ACTING LIKE A LOW PASS FILTER.THAT IS WHY,WHEN WE TRAVEL OVER ROUGH ROADS AT LOW SPEEDS,THE OSCILLATORY MOTION OF THE SUSPENSION SET UP IS IN THE LOW FREQUENCY RANGE AND ALL THESE WILL BE TRANSMITTED TO THE CAR BODY JUST LIKE A LOW PASS ELECTRONIC FILTER.HOWEVER,THE STIFF SPRING/DAMPENER WILL NOT PASS HIGER FREQUENCY OF THE SUSPENSION SETUP'S TO THE CAR BODY.THAT IS THE REASON FOR LESS SHAKY RIDE OVER ROUGH ROADS IF YOU MAKE YOUR RIDE AT A HIGHER SPEED.AT HIGHER SPEED TRAVEL THE FREQUENCY OF OSCILLATION OF SUSPENSION SETUP WILL BE HIGHER.FIAT HAS MADE THE SPRING STFFER TO COMPENSATE THINGS RELATED TO HIGHER G.C IN POST 2012 CARS.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Dear All, AS EXPLAINED BY SPEARMAN JI, THE ANTIROLL BAR HAS THE MAIN DUTY OF REDUCING THE ROLL DURING CORNERING.ITS ROLE IN RIDE COMFORT AT SLOW SPEEDS ON ROUGH ROADS IS LIMITED.THE MAIN COMPONENT WHICH DETERMINES THE RIDE QUALITY IS THE SPRING.STIFF SPRING AND DAMPENER BEHAVES EXACTLY LIKE A FILTER IN ELECTRONIC CICUIT.ITS DUTY IS TO FILTER OUT THE BUMPS OF RIDE FROM THE BODY OF THE CAR.( OFFCOURSE THE TYRE ALSO PLAYS ITS ROLE).ELECTRONIC FILTERS COMPRISE OF CAPACITORSOR INDUCTORS ALONG WITH RESISTORS.IN MECHANICAL FILTER( OUR SPRING/DAMPENER)SPRING IS LIKE CAPACITOR OR INDUCTOR WHICH STORE ENERGY DURING OPERATION AND DAMPENER IS LIKE RESISTOR WHICH DISSIPATES THE ENERGY STORED BY THE CAPACITOR OR THE SPRING IN OUR CASE.IN ELECTRONIC FILTERS WE HAVE LOW PASS FILTERS,MEANS IT WILL ALOW ALL THE LOW FREQUENCY PARTS.NOW IF THE SPRING IS STIFF (FIAT HAS MADE SPRINGS STIFFER IN POST 2012 CARS),IT WILL BE ACTING LIKE A LOW PASS FILTER.THAT IS WHY,WHEN WE TRAVEL OVER ROUGH ROADS AT LOW SPEEDS,THE OSCILLATORY MOTION OF THE SUSPENSION SET UP IS IN THE LOW FREQUENCY RANGE AND ALL THESE WILL BE TRANSMITTED TO THE CAR BODY JUST LIKE A LOW PASS ELECTRONIC FILTER.HOWEVER,THE STIFF SPRING/DAMPENER WILL NOT PASS HIGER FREQUENCY OF THE SUSPENSION SETUP'S TO THE CAR BODY.THAT IS THE REASON FOR LESS SHAKY RIDE OVER ROUGH ROADS IF YOU MAKE YOUR RIDE AT A HIGHER SPEED.AT HIGHER SPEED TRAVEL THE FREQUENCY OF OSCILLATION OF SUSPENSION SETUP WILL BE HIGHER.FIAT HAS MADE THE SPRING STFFER TO COMPENSATE THINGS RELATED TO HIGHER G.C IN POST 2012 CARS.
  10. ^^ Dear dr.Stephen, why are you tying in uppercase? I feel like you are angry at us:)
    1 person likes this.